Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I demo'd the pearl for about 30 minutes before deciding to give it a go. ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

gbillings no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    301603FD

Re: Like the pearl but getting tired of the keyboard

Advertisement

I demo'd the pearl for about 30 minutes before deciding to give it a go. The angled keys make it better than you think.

I am a die hard qwerty user and while I have gotten used to the pearl, as soon as the 8800 shows it's face I am switching. At least, that is if the keyboard on the 8800 isn't garbage - those keys are awfully cramped.

maestrowork no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by DeadHead613
    Sure-Type is too much work to make sure that you get the correct word. I'm waiting for the 8800/8900 (whatever they call it) that is like the Pearl but wider with a full keyboard.
    What? You're not using it correctly, then. I could tap out a long message without any problem. The trick is to NOT look at the screen as you type and try to fix it every time it "guesses." 99% of the time it does guess right. And when it doesn't, you can fix it and it will learn. I've used SureType for a few weeks now and I can do it really quickly. The double tapping is no big deal -- you need to tap two keys on a QWERTY anyway, and these keys are so much bigger than the QWERTYs on a regular BB or a Sidekick.

And SureType serves as a pretty good spell checker, too, and you can customize auto-text to fix your common spelling problems (e.g. "hte" -> "the").

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Quote Originally Posted by maestrowork
    I could tap out a long message without any problem. The trick is to NOT look at the screen as you type and try to fix it every time it "guesses." 99% of the time it does guess right. And when it doesn't, you can fix it and it will learn.

And SureType serves as a pretty good spell checker, too, and you can customize auto-text to fix your common spelling problems (e.g. "hte" -> "the").
    I have found through my experience that SureType beats everything, and I have both a 7130c with SureType and an 8700c with Qwerty.

The only reason I did not keep my Pearl is that I have large hands and it was simply too small for me, but fine for others.

Once I was patient and learned SureType, now I'm faster with that, than the full qwerty, by a wide margin.

SureType is (as you suggested) a great spell checker as well. In addition the ability to access the auto-text word list, is really great. This way I can add or modify words prior to using them and they are ready for me when I need them.

Finally the ability to use my 7130c one handed is a terrific advantage. It has better keys, and key spacing than the 8700c, no contest.

Cheers......

Yeah, I love the fact that I could type with one hand in situations like (oh, get your mind out of the gutter) drinking coffee or watering plants. And I can use either hand. It'd be more difficult to do on a wide QWERTY.
    Last edited by maestrowork; 01-18-2007 at 06:49 PM.

tazcalvin no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23ec3c50

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Yes I want to tell you that suretype is very accurate and easy to use if you put little effort.I have used full sized keyboard 8703e before and I felt same in performance and speed wise. So just give it a couple of days try.
    God I really ma pearl!!!

~BLACK ICE~ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23e224ba

The only thing I dont like about suretype, is that it inputs other words that match the combination of words. Sometimes I want to type something and notice it inputs something else.

for example:
    I wanted to type the world "hold"... when I look at the screen it said "Golf".

besides that.. it saves a lot of time. I can usually type with out looking.

gbillings no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    301603FD

I think we can all agree keyboard preference is about as personal as choosing briefs or boxers (sorry ladies, dont' have another metafore).

I like qwerty because of the larger screen. The pearl is very small and I have gotten used to suretype, I am sure that the suretype will exist on the 8800 - RIM spent some money on making it work, they aren't to keep it on the candybar models.

Why qwerty? I just like it, plain and simple.

rivviepop no está en línea Stack level 2

Regardless of the keyboard preference, I can say that SureType is an absolute godsend compared to T9 on a Nokia/Samsung or iTap on a Motorola; ST continually amazes me with how *well* it works and guesses the words I want, it's uncanny - spooky even. T9 and iTap, you never realize how crappy they are until you pick up this SureType method, wow.

squ34k no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23EAD2EE

I'm so used to my Pearl. I don't think I could go back to any other kind of phone! I tried to type a sms on my friends phone and it took me nearly 5 minutes! I love it. I haven't tried suretype though. I could come in handy.
    Will you be my friend?
    AIM: killaninjamnky
    Y!: isitupsidedown
    MSN: squ34k@gmail.com
    PIN - 23EAD2EE

I just hate big phones. The Pearl is just the right size. And I can't see anything this small having a qwerty. So between qwerty or smaller phone, I pick the latter. Besides, SureType IS sweet.

GotPearl? no está en línea Stack level 5

Quote Originally Posted by ~BLACK ICE~
    The only thing I dont like about suretype, is that it inputs other words that match the combination of words. Sometimes I want to type something and notice it inputs something else.

for example:
    I wanted to type the world "hold"... when I look at the screen it said "Golf".

besides that.. it saves a lot of time. I can usually type with out looking.
    OMG it does that to me too lol it gets me very mad!

GP

That should teach you. Don't look at the screen while you type, but do look after you finish with the word and before you hit space or enter.

xtasyboi_00 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    PM

I like suretype, works good for me, since i drive, im on my berry, and count the cigarette sometimes.. haha. helps in multi tasking..

Einherjer no está en línea Stack level 5

Like they said, don't look at the screen while you type. Trust Suretype just proofread before sending the message and it will learn new words. Learn to love it

LLc0oLJ no está en línea Stack level 3

if you edit your custom world list you should be ok, and if you change gold to hold it should learn it eventually, i used to use multitap for the 1st couple of weeks, switched to sure type took about 2 weeks to get the hang of it, either that or get a bigger phone with a full keyboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12