Whats the average life of a BB handset? I mean how many years of service ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

saneen no está en línea Stack level 3

Life span of BB Handset

Advertisement

Whats the average life of a BB handset? I mean how many years of service could be expected? How soon would it get outdated?

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6
    saneen, I've only had my blackberry for over a year, but I've read a lot about them, but I think so long as you keep it in good shape (be careful not to drop it, bang it or mistreat it), it could last very long, and the fact that you can upgrade the Operating System to stay up to date, technology has come a long way, but bb's seem like very stable devices, if you can get a few years off a regular cell phone (like I have), I would say you could easily get 4 years off a blackberry easily...but then again, maybe someone who's had various bb's could have a more accurate guess, but that's mine, not sure if there a fact regarding the lifespan.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    I concur with beeshabo. There's really no reason a device can't give you several years of service if taken care of.

Personally, I can't stand having one for more than a year or two without getting the urge for something new! I will say that my Curve is the best device I've ever owned, so this one might last a lot longer.

I can say without a doubt that there are many Stackers who could say that urge for an upgrade would occur for them on a weekly basis!

saneen no está en línea Stack level 3
    Thanks, but i was also wondering if the OS size increased then it would be a problem to all the current BB which have a 64mb capacity. The other thing could be wear and tear like regular use of Speaker and mic. The very limitations of the no of use for each of the components used in the phone. On an ideal condition i have owned one phone for 2 years straight...but i have managed to exchange it to a working one...........so on an ideal it would be right to look for atleast 2 years of service and a good return value........

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    I can say without a doubt that there are many Stackers who could say that urge for an upgrade would occur for them on a weekly basis!
    What? ...... I have to wait a whole week......

Last time I checked that was really long.....like 7 days!

What's a BB Addict To Do????

Saneen, I think you'll get 2 years out of blackberry EASY!! So long as you treat it right, that it is also unless you got a bad apple of the line..but that's rare

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    What? ...... I have to wait a whole week......

Last time I checked that was really long.....like 7 days!

What's a BB Addict To Do????

Archer! Haven't seen you around in awhile!

ice44 no está en línea Stack level 5
    a device will last as long as you need it to as long as you take care of it.....maybe the battery will need replaced....but the internals will be ok...

plus I see ppl still using this......Remember LA CELLUAR !

The young man knows the rules, and the old man will enforce them!

DAMN!!! That's old

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    We have customers who have used the same phone for over 4 years with minor issues that usually a cleaning of the inside of the phone solves.

As has been said, as long as it isn't abused you can get a lot of use out of a BB device. The 8700 was and is a workhorse and will stand up to a lot of abuse and still keep ticking along. The 8100's is a little more delicate (in our experience) but still a good device for the long term. The 8300's and 8800's are showing themselves to be a very good replacement for those upgrading from 8700's. The most sensitive component on all the new units is thier trackballs but those can be replaced relatively easy or cleaned if you have the patience and a nice organized work area to leave it in for soaking.

Zo

sphynxberry no está en línea Stack level 1
    yeah now that is what we call... drum roll... classic!

ice44 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by sphynxberry View Post
    yeah now that is what we call... drum roll... classic!
    another great classic....Look at the battery on this thing....

The young man knows the rules, and the old man will enforce them!

Anela808 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    4M32KN0W
    ^^oh my, i remember those things! they came with built in crime deterrant/anit-theft right?

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Who are we kidding here. Stop to think about how many key and track ball presses we Blackberry addicts make on our handsets! They're built EXTREMELY well