Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Just remove the .rem from the end. Ex. I bought some ringtones ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

dallas1125 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2576E92F

Advertisement

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Just remove the .rem from the end. Ex. I bought some ringtones from tmo and saved them to my memory card. Then I opened the folder and removed the .rem from .mp3.rem and now they are unprotected.

hue03 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Are you sure that just removing the .rem doesn't corrupt the file? I've tried it and I couldn't open the files anymore.

dallas1125 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2576E92F
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Really? It worked for me

roktta no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up You saved my pictures!!!!!!

Thanks a million!!!! you saved my pictures...i do not know how i ended up in this forum....but your directions were extremely clear and did the job...it took me two hours to try and figure out how to save my vacation pictures and you helped alot!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hue03 View Post
    Hey guys. Great news. I think I've found the most efficient method of decrypting the files.
    1. Turn off future encryptions
      • Go to Options -> Media Card
      • Set Encrypt Media Files to No
      • Note: Despite what people say, you do not have to set Encryption Mode to None - this has nothing to do with your encrypted media files
    2. Move the encrypted files in order to decrypt them
      • Go to Media
      • Press the Menu key
      • Select Explore
      • Navigate to the directory containing your encrypted files
      • Create a temporary folder
      • Move the encrypted files into the temporary folder
      • Note: If you have media files in other directories that need to be decrypted, don't put them in this temporary folder. Instead, create a separate temporary folder in that directory and repeat these steps. This way, you can remember the files' original location
      • For impatient people (like me) or people with way too many encrypted files: To quickly decrypt files:
        • Move one file into the temporary folder using any method (this lets the BB remember the temporary folder as the folder you will be moving future files into)
        • Scroll to the next file
        • Press the Menu key
        • Press the M key (this highlights Move)
        • Click the trackball
        • Press the Menu key
        • Press the M key (this highlights Move here)
        • Click the trackball
        • Rinse & repeat
    3. Clean up
      • Technically, you could use the BB interface to clean up, but if you have way too many files, you'll want to use the Mass Storage Mode - this is more efficient, allows you to navigate the directories quickly, and allows your files to move to their original directories quickly
      • Use the USB cord to connect your BB to a computer and enable Mass Storage Mode
      • Navigate to the temporary folders
      • Move the containing files to their original directories
      • Delete the temporary folders
    I hope this helps you guys. The tips you guys gave me were enough to help me come up with this quick way of decrypting files (IMHO). Enjoy.

Let me know if something is not clear (probably not), something is way too verbose/detailed/confusing (probably so), or if you have a more efficient way (here's hoping)

TroyDowling no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hey! That worked perfectly. I mean, very tedious for sure, but at least I didn't lose all my pictures. I think RIM took a step back in trusting Roxio with their Media Manager. I mean, sure, I love a lot about it, but cutting out the entire section on encrypting...? Lame. At the very least, RIM could have supported some form of on-board encryption platform to manage your files on-device.

Anywho, thanks a tonne for those instructions. I was really getting tired of a thousand Google results of "Turn off Encryption Mode"...

jdukr no está en línea Stack level 1

Question .rem files

strangely enough, my media setting was set to "no" for encryption and I still ended up with .rem files on my card. Any further news or advice on how to make these photos useful by way of pc or other device? thanks.

oscareg5 no está en línea Stack level 1

jpg.rem

hi everyone,

rename picture from the BB and you will have a jpg file.

THKS

anfrey no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    A5KME41T
    great info hue03... +trust for you

heliot no está en línea Stack level 1
    thank you guys, great help
    Last edited by heliot; 10-23-2008 at 01:05 PM. Reason: click enter to change line and it press the save button..., same post few post up.. thanks anyway

Threekings no está en línea Stack level 3
    This unfortunately will not work for me.

Our Corporate BES has encryption turned on as a default so cannot change that.
    To get around this:
    *I have 4.5 DM installed.
    *Installed OLDER version of desktop manager (4.2) on a separate computer that does NOT have the ROXIO media manager.
    *Hooked up my BB (after disabling all sync settings!)
    *Went to media manager and copied all .rem files from media card to PC.
    *Removed the .REM and voila! Got all my pics.

Will just keep the older DM and media mangler for this until they fix the newer (if ever).

nathanalan22 no está en línea Stack level 1
    well I'm still having problems I've already moved all the files to my computer and do not work when I return the to the bb. I've tried just taking the .rem off the file name and I think it corrupts the file because they do not work still.

please help

wibbly no está en línea Stack level 3
    Not sure about versions of Desktop Manager (DM) since RIM started using the Roxio stuff, but prior to that it would decrypt on the fly so long as you used RIM's media manager in DM to transfer the files from BB to PC (rather than accessing the BB via mass storage mode).

So much for "progress", eh? I really don't like the Roxio stuff to the point where I don't install it now. Why on earth did RIM include all the CD writing stuff in there too? All that does is break the CD writing stuff already installed on your PC :-(

wibbly no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanalan22 View Post
    well I'm still having problems I've already moved all the files to my computer and do not work when I return the to the bb. I've tried just taking the .rem off the file name and I think it corrupts the file because they do not work still.

please help
    The .rem extension indicates the file has been encrypted by the BB. Renaming it (on your PC) doesn't change that it's encrypted. What you have to to is turn the encrypting function off on the BB and get the BB to resave the file (on the BB) using one of the methods above. The BB will then decrypt it as it does this as it knows not to (re)save the files encrpted any more. THEN you can transfer the (unencrypted version of the) files to your PC.

tonchymac no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hue03!!! I´m Of Argentina Tahnk´s For Your Hand!

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    resurrecting old thread .. the thing is, i have encryption set to none and they still save like this. just noticed that all the pics taken since i bought the bold are doing this.

i renamed the files on my pc, being sure to add the .jpg on the end and that worked, but how annoying. any ideas on why mine are still encrypting even tho i have it set to none?

also, i removed everything from the card, reformatted and put back in. then went back to memory settings and still says none, but the first image i took had the REM at the end.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast