I only seem to be able to send pictures as MMS files. When I try ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

marigotrip no está en línea Stack level 3

jpeg vs MMS

Advertisement

I only seem to be able to send pictures as MMS files. When I try to send it as a jpeg (which is a menu option) I get a "The service does not support native attachment" message. Is this a network (Tmobile) or setting or BB Enterprise thing? Any advice appreciated.
    Bill

squished18 no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: jpeg vs MMS

Hi Bill,

Are you on BES or BIS?

If "BES" means I am running through my corporate server, yes....although I also have a tmobile email address set up on the unit as a backup. Bill

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

First off, jpg is a file type. MMS is a message service; Multimedia Message Service.

So, if you're saying that you cannot send emails with a jpg attached, that makes sense.

BlackBerry (except 8100) does not support attaching files to emails.

This is why when attempting to send a jpg, you only have MMS available.

PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

As well, even if the BB did support file attachments, your BES has the ability to restrict this function.

Lewis, are you saying only the 8100 cannot send attached files, or no BB? I have often forwarded emails with word and pdf files attached to them with my older models. Bill

PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

I believe the 8100 can compose a new email and attach a file, but no other BB can.

Forwarding an email with an attachment is different. The attachment is already on the email. You are not composing a new email.

I know it seems limited, and it is, but I guess that originally, a BB user wouldn't have attachments to send. Makes sense really, because a user cannot create any new files on a BB to attach to an email.

If you're trying to send jpg from the browser, you have the option of emailing the URL link.

Mussel-Man no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23DE4362

This issue of not being able to send / add attachments to e-mails plagues all our Pearl users on our company’s BES as well.

For example, we do not get the menu option to "Add Attachment" when composing new e-mail. Also, when taking a picture, we do not get the menu option to "Send as E-Mail", just "Send as MMS".

In contrast, a close friend of mine also owns a Pearl with t-mobiles BIS, he does have the menu options the “Add Attachment” and directly following snapping a pic, to “Send as E-mail.”

A call to t-mobile referred me to the setting on our BES.

We are current running 4.0 SP3 BES, anybody else has these issues? Is it do to the BES setting and or version?

rkkeller no está en línea Stack level 3

I wonder why the Pearl sends the pics in BMP format instead of the better JPG format ? I sent a few pics to myself to see on the PC and they were all BMP files.

TheBigNewt no está en línea Stack level 3

I have BIS and I can send a jpeg pic that I take with the 8100 as email, but interestingly I cannot add any text to the email, just a subject (default is jpg#).