hi what program or how can i convert jad to alx file i do not ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

wiseprick no está en línea Stack level 1

jad -> COD/ALX Conversion

Advertisement

hi what program or how can i convert jad to alx file i do not have a data plan ...

b_d0za no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: jad -> COD/ALX Conversion

I believe you need the JAR file. I'm not POSITIVE, but I don't think the JAD file has enough information in it to do anything by itself.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...onversion.html

With newer operating systems(for the pearl), you can just put the JAR and JAD files in a folder on your MicroSD card if you have one. Then you can go to media, hit the menu button, go to explore and find the files. Once found you can just click on one and it will ask you if you want to install. That won't work with older operating systems, though.

Also, check this out:

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...nlaod_ota.html

That's how I got all my games and themes and I don't have a data plan. There are a lot of OTA only downloads as well as WAP only downloads.
    Last edited by b_d0za; 08-11-2007 at 10:49 AM.

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Get a MicroSD card and copy the file to the SD card. Then, on the BlackBerry open Media, click the Menu Button and select Explore. Find the JAD file and open it and it will install just like an OTA installation.

If you get Desktop Manager 4.2 SP1, you can use its Media Manager to copy the .JAD file to the device's memory, and then use Media the same way as noted above. Not sure if the Roxio Media Manager that comes with SP2 can do this.

Please see clarification here!
    Last edited by jdellasala; 08-11-2007 at 02:40 PM.
    JerryD

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by jdellasala
    Get a MicroSD card and copy the file to the SD card. Then, on the BlackBerry open Media, click the Menu Button and select Explore. Find the JAD file and open it and it will install just like an OTA installation.

If you get Desktop Manager 4.2 SP1, you can use its Media Manager to copy the .JAD file to the device's memory, and then use Media the same way as noted above. Not sure if the Roxio Media Manager that comes with SP2 can do this.
    _

Do you also install the associated COD file(s) to the media card? If not, how does the Media/explorer install a program corectly from a JAD file without them?

Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    _

Do you also install the associated COD file(s) to the media card? If not, how does the Media/explorer install a program corectly from a JAD file without them?

Rcbjr
    To load .COD files, use JavaLoader.exe from a Command Prompt window. Type JavaLoader /? for syntax, but basically, with the .COD in the same directory as JavaLoader.exe, the command line would be:
    JavaLoader -u load file.cod

Note that just copying the .COD file to the BlackBerry will mean you get the application. There may be other .COD files needed, and if they're device specific may not work on your device.

JavaLoader.exe is included in JL_Cmder.

Last edited by jdellasala; 08-11-2007 at 02:41 PM.
    JerryD

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

I know that cod files can be loaded directly with JL. What I was asking was how does downloading only a JAD to the media card without the cod files perform the install? Unless I'm mistaken, the JAD file only points to the correct Cod files to install. It is not the program that gets installed.

Rcbjr

I know that cod files can be loaded directly with JL. What I was asking was how does downloading only a JAD to the media card without the cod files perform the install? Unless I'm mistaken, the JAD file only points to the correct Cod files to install. It is not the program that gets installed.

Rcbjr
    Nope. The JAD file has everything that's needed. It works just like a standard OTA installation. When you click on it in the Media Explorer, the same Download screen comes up just as if you clicked on a .JAD link!

This definitely works - as long as the version of Media Player has the Explore option. I'm on an 8800 with 4.2.1 OS. Maybe earlier versions don't have the Explore options, but if they do, it will work.

Last edited by jdellasala; 08-11-2007 at 02:41 PM.
    JerryD

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

If the Jad file contains everything needed to install the theme/application, why does Theme Builder create multiple Cod files when I export the theme for OTA installation?

I'm just trying to understand tis procedure and how it's possible.

Rcbjr

If the Jad file contains everything needed to install the theme/application, why does Theme Builder create multiple Cod files when I export the theme for OTA installation?

I'm just trying to understand tis procedure and how it's possible.

Rcbjr
    I have no idea! I just know that I've never seen a .JAD that required anything else. Have you?

I'm not familiar with Theme Builder, but can you set it to create just an OTA installation? I assume it's building both an OTA and ALX installation. The COD files are useless unless you manually load them to a device using Javaloader. The ALX (text file) defines all the files needed for the package.

I assume a .JAD is some kind of compressed archive package (like a Zip file) that automatically extracts the files needed.
    Last edited by jdellasala; 08-11-2007 at 02:42 PM.
    JerryD

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

I think you are talking about a jar file. Not a jad file. The theme builder allows you to chooze the method of installation when exporting. alx or jad. Both create the Cod file(s) and respectively an alx or jad. Try opening a Jad file with note pad and see what it looks like. It's mearly a text file.

Rcbjr

b_d0za no está en línea Stack level 3

Going to explore through media and clicking on a JAR file only works in Operating Systems 4.2.1 and above. I use Cingulars 4.2.0.71 and that does not work even though you can go to explore and find the file. It just says it can't open the file or something.

FROM MY EXPERIENCE, JAD files need the JAR file to work properly. I have been able to create the JAD if I have the JAR but not the other way around.
    Last edited by b_d0za; 08-11-2007 at 02:01 PM.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Thanks, I think that's the conclusion were all arriving at.

Rcbjr

BlackBerry File Types (.ALX, .JAD, .JAR and .COD)

After conferring with Rcbjr and some more testing, he is correct. You DO need more than the .JAD file to install the application. The reason it worked when I tested it is because I already had the app installed (dumb!). Sorry about that!

Also, it looks like it may only work for devices running 4.2.1 or higher (see b_d0za's post above).

It looks like the four file types work this way.
    • .ALX - this is a text file used by Desktop Manager's Application Loader to define what files are installed for the application.
    • .JAD - this is a text file used for OTA (Over The Air) installations. It is similar to .ALX files in that it defines what files are installed for the application. The files needed are either located in the same directory on the server as the .JAD file or their location is defined in the .JAD file.
    • .JAR - THIS is an archive file that contains everything needed for an application (except OS Dependencies). The file can be opened by most standard archive utilities (WinRar, WinZip, 7-Zip), however they do NOT contain .COD files. Instead they have .CLASS files which presumably are converted to .COD files during the installation process. It may also contain other files needed like .PNG graphics.
    • .COD - These are the actual code files that are the application. There may be other files also used like .PNG graphics.
    So what does this mean as far as the original question - and my original answer?

If you copy a .JAR file to the BlackBerry and open it in Media Explorer, the application should install (the way I thought a .jad file would!).

If you open a .JAD file in Notepad or Wordpad you may be able to figure out what files are needed and copy the .JAD and required files to the BlackBerry and then be able to install the application by opening the .JAD file in Media Explorer. For example, here's the contents of the file BBWeather.JAD:
    Code:
    MIDlet-Name: BBWeather
    MIDlet-Version: 0.74
    MIDlet-Vendor: Chris Miles
    RIM-COD-URL-1: BBWeather.cod
    RIM-COD-Size-1: 30696
    RIM-COD-URL-2: BBWeatherIcons.cod
    RIM-COD-Size-2: 53480
    RIM-COD-URL-3: BBUtils.cod
    RIM-COD-Size-3: 6396
    If you download BBWeather.jad, the files BBWeather.cod, BBWeatherIcons.cod and
    BBUtils.cod should all be available from the same base URL. If you copy these four files to your BlackBerry and then open BBWeather.jad with Media Explorer, the application should install.

Hope this clears up any confusion I may have caused earlier!

And thanks for the help Rcbr!
    JerryD

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

And I just verified that if you have the jad and all cod files for a theme installation, and download them to your BB media card, accessing the jad file using media explore and double clicking it will successfully install. Of course gaining access to the cod files for an OTA install may not be a trivial exercise. And thanks to the discussion and testing that helped solve this thorny problem.

Rcbjr

dancingqueen no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by jdellasala View Post
    After conferring with Rcbjr and some more testing, he is correct. You DO need more than the .JAD file to install the application. The reason it worked when I tested it is because I already had the app installed (dumb!). Sorry about that!

Also, it looks like it may only work for devices running 4.2.1 or higher (see b_d0za's post above).

It looks like the four file types work this way.
    • .ALX - this is a text file used by Desktop Manager's Application Loader to define what files are installed for the application.
    • .JAD - this is a text file used for OTA (Over The Air) installations. It is similar to .ALX files in that it defines what files are installed for the application. The files needed are either located in the same directory on the server as the .JAD file or their location is defined in the .JAD file.
    • .JAR - THIS is an archive file that contains everything needed for an application (except OS Dependencies). The file can be opened by most standard archive utilities (WinRar, WinZip, 7-Zip), however they do NOT contain .COD files. Instead they have .CLASS files which presumably are converted to .COD files during the installation process. It may also contain other files needed like .PNG graphics.
    • .COD - These are the actual code files that are the application. There may be other files also used like .PNG graphics.
    So what does this mean as far as the original question - and my original answer?

If you copy a .JAR file to the BlackBerry and open it in Media Explorer, the application should install (the way I thought a .jad file would!).

If you open a .JAD file in Notepad or Wordpad you may be able to figure out what files are needed and copy the .JAD and required files to the BlackBerry and then be able to install the application by opening the .JAD file in Media Explorer. For example, here's the contents of the file BBWeather.JAD:
    Code:
    MIDlet-Name: BBWeather
    MIDlet-Version: 0.74
    MIDlet-Vendor: Chris Miles
    RIM-COD-URL-1: BBWeather.cod
    RIM-COD-Size-1: 30696
    RIM-COD-URL-2: BBWeatherIcons.cod
    RIM-COD-Size-2: 53480
    RIM-COD-URL-3: BBUtils.cod
    RIM-COD-Size-3: 6396
    If you download BBWeather.jad, the files BBWeather.cod, BBWeatherIcons.cod and
    BBUtils.cod should all be available from the same base URL. If you copy these four files to your BlackBerry and then open BBWeather.jad with Media Explorer, the application should install.

Hope this clears up any confusion I may have caused earlier!

And thanks for the help Rcbr!
    Hi there! I've the .JAD files of themes I like.. I can access these .cod files using notepad but how do I download them to my BB? As in, I don't have the .COD files themselves..