I am hoping there will soon be some method of completely removing--rather than replacing--the policy.bin. ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

verduinski no está en línea Stack level 1

Question IT Policy "Removal" Backfire. Help!

Advertisement

I am hoping there will soon be some method of completely removing--rather than replacing--the policy.bin.

I am in an unusual situation, you see. My wife recently got a hand-me-down 8700c from her father. He had it on BES and consequently it had a lot of annoying restrictions from the former IT policy. I "successfully" replaced her policy.bin with the one posted here and elsewhere. It worked great and I was feeling pretty clever

I'm sure you can guess what happened to MY blackberry the next time I hooked it up to our PC. My T-Mobile Pearl, which I purchased myself and is on BIS (never on BES) now appears to have that same replacement IT policy, which is more restrictive than nothing at all, by most accounts.

Among other annoyances, I can no longer use Mobipocket (the only decent eBook reader I can find) and every two days or so I need to give permissions for a handful of access requests, even if I have previously checked the "always for ___" box. I am nervous that even if I get that new Curve I've been coveting it will end up with the same it policy even if I remove the file and "path" from regedit. This is turning into a situation like the smell in Jerry Seinfeld's car from the valet with BO.

So--my question: Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do? I am eagerly awaiting a solution to this problem. I have searched the threads and can't find anyone else in my exact situation, although some are unhappy with the restrictions of the replacement policy.bin. Can someone write a new, better replacement, maybe?

I am almost to the point of loading a beta version of 4.3 OS and trying the Javaloader IT Policy Removal option some have mentioned, but as my above attempt screwed up my own BB, I am hesitant to mess around much more unless things are failsafe!

Thanks!

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6

Re: IT Policy "Removal" Backfire. Help!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Wow!! Way too technical for me.....wish I could help, hopefully some expert comes to your rescue!! Good luck

Thanks--it is a really annoying problem and I at least hope multi-blackberry households will become aware of this issue before altering the policy of one of the two units.

offthahorseceo no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C

man, i feel ya, i had a restricted 8800 which i "policy replaced" and once i connected my 8300 to do something else, it did it to that one too. the problem i see is that its turning the firewall on and locking it to on, so google maps doesnt work for me anymore and every so often i also have to grant apps permission to do certain things

we need to get more attention to this issue. if the persons who originally fixed policy.bin dont want to rewrite it themselves, show me how and ill do it

PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...y_removal.html

im gonna try this in a minute after i read thru the instructions, maybe you should too. or if you wanna wait and ill give it a try and report back to you

PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C

didnt work

justin.hylton no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    241AA7C9

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

What was the Javaloader option?

I am familiar with the program, is the command something like. "Javaloader -u delete policy.bin"?

MrDavv no está en línea Stack level 2

I purchased an 8100 new. It already had the firewall enabled and locked (can not be disabled). I have always ran into the error with some 3rd party apps regarding the connecton trying to connect inside/outside the firewall. This had gotten me quite frustrated for a while.

I had downloaded the BlackBerry BES software and extracted the needed files to create my own policy.bin since the ones I could find on the Internet did not help. I have a link below to my policy.bin file. Essentially a newly created policy.bin will have certain restrictions set (such as disallowing split tunnel communications). I am a fan of the MobiPocket Reader on the blackberry. This had never worked for me because of the firewall denying the inside/outside blah blah IT policy. When I created my policy.bin, I removed the restriction for the split tunnel requirement (split tunnel is allowed now). After applying this policy.bin I am able to use my 3rd party applications fine (including MobiPocket Reader for Blackberry). It does not matter that the firewall is enabled on the blackberry.

Below is the link to download the policy.bin file that allows split-tunnel communications.
    http://www.box.net/shared/sppi3qmo80

From my knowledge, a Blackberry policy.bin can not be removed. It can only be replaced. My assumption is this is a special memory area (or type) that is not erased when the blackberry is wiped, or the OS reloaded, or totally deleted by some of the more recent java utilities.

Please post follow-ups on your success with this policy.bin file. If you want to roll-your-own (so to speak), you will need to download the trial/evaluation software from RIM for the BES software. This is 100+ Megs, but one of the folders when extracted will be to create/modify an IT policy. It has the documentaton you need.

Below is the attachment in ZIP format for your convenience.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MrDavv; 12-31-2007 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Posted policy.zip attachment within this forum.

Thanks guys! It is always so reassuring to see that there are others experiencing the same problems. Thanks for the ideas. I will try out MrDavv's policy.bin and let you know what happens. Hopefully I will be rid of the inside/outside Mobipocket firewall problem and apps permission nonsense. Hopefully there won't be a new set of restriction issues, because making my own policy.bin is way beyond me.

Thanks!

Hmm...the new policy.bin Mr.Davv posted does not seem to have fixed the problem. I'm still getting the Mobipocket firewall error and can't seem to turn it off...

Aha! I tried reloading the policy.bin as a new file (thinking that the BB was confused as I already loaded policy.bin once...). I renamed MrDavv's file policy2.bin and changed the file name in the path in regedit. Voila! Mobipocket works now. Thanks people!

MrDavv no está en línea Stack level 2

I'm glad it worked for you. Happy reading!

gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Is this safe to use on a new 8120 running BIS? I thought I should ask before I just jump in, since I think it's a newer OS - don't know if that makes a difference but don't want to mess up what I do have working! I'd love to have my firewall on AND be able to use Mobipocket!!