Hey everyone, Well about a month ago I had to download a new OS because ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

urlilgurl017 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Issues with Multi-tap.

Advertisement

Hey everyone,

Well about a month ago I had to download a new OS because my Pearl was displaying that famous "missing module" thing and the media files wouldn't play, etc.

Well I downloaded the new OS, and things were back to normal, or so it seems.

Turns out my Maps icon is missing.

In addition, since I'm new to this Sure Type thing, I stick to the multitap.

For multitap you know you have to press the key twice for the second letter, however its hard to explain but the keys sort of "lag"

For example I want an "r", so I press the 'e r' key twice, but instead of obtaining an 'r' i get 2 'ee's.

This never happened before I downloaded the new OS.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about, or has any idea of how to solve it, please let me know?

Thanks in advance,
    Diane

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: Issues with Multi-tap.

Sorry Diane I don't think there's a fix to that. You may as well try and to use suretype. It does actually work better than multitap, just a little learning curve.

Good luck.

Thank you! I'll try to work around suretype lol.

And what about the missing map icon?!

chknlomein no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24646FEB

Hey Diane,

I also have this issue. I downloaded the new OS the day it came out and noticed this issue very quickly. I love everything about the new OS except for my constant annoyance when texting or typing anything on my BB for that matter.

I posted the same message you just posted the day of the release in the new OS .101 thread. I basically got the same advice that you did...a bunch of louzy "well better just suretype then" and "sorry, no problem here, suretype all the way!" I've now just dealt with it because i've not the patience to type using suretype...it's just not my thing.

Yea thanks for the help guys...But it's okay Diane. Although it may seem that you and i are the only multi-tapping blackberry users with this current issue, we can just hope that someone will post a patch to fix our ever so "tiny" BIG problem.

Until then, we'll just keep our heads up, and our fingers crossed

PIN/ID
    STACK

Quote Originally Posted by urlilgurl017

And what about the missing map icon?!

Can you find it in the app loader when you plug in your BB? Maybe some how it didn't get installed?

Quote Originally Posted by chknlomein
    Hey Diane,

I also have this issue. I downloaded the new OS the day it came out and noticed this issue very quickly. I love everything about the new OS except for my constant annoyance when texting or typing anything on my BB for that matter.

I posted the same message you just posted the day of the release in the new OS .101 thread. I basically got the same advice that you did...a bunch of louzy "well better just suretype then" and "sorry, no problem here, suretype all the way!" I've now just dealt with it because i've not the patience to type using suretype...it's just not my thing.

Yea thanks for the help guys...But it's okay Diane. Although it may seem that you and i are the only multi-tapping blackberry users with this current issue, we can just hope that someone will post a patch to fix our ever so "tiny" BIG problem.

Until then, we'll just keep our heads up, and our fingers crossed
    I understand your frustration with suretype, but it's a tiny learning curve. It's the exact same thing as multi-tap with less button pushing. I was quite annoyed with it when I first purchased my pearl, but once it learns and you get it down; you will be typing twice as fast as multi-tap. I know it's not what you guys want to hear, but I doubt that this is even on their radar for bug fixes.

Just give suretype a try for a good week or two, and I bet you will eventually like it over multi-tap. You just have to learn how it works, I know these days of instant gratification that many people don't have the time or want to take the time, but if you do you'll be pleased in the end.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by reddog187
    Can you find it in the app loader when you plug in your BB? Maybe some how it didn't get installed?
    Yes, it is in the app loader in DM, and in my BB it says: "Blackberry Amps 11.35" =/

Well, about the multi tap issue, I'm just going to start playing around with Sure Type [although its taking me 3 times longer to text now lol]

So I wanted to know if any of you had any tips or something to make it easier? For example, a friend of mine told me to look only at the screen, while another told me to look only at my thumbs lol

What do I do!! What works better for you?! =]

Thank you!!
    Diane

PIN/ID
    STACK

Hey Diane

The only tips I have is not to look at what you're typing until you're done with the word. Because it will bring up the most random words while typing.

As for your Suretype Learning words it takes a little bit of time.
    Under Options>Language>Input Options there should be five options.

Compound Words
    Context Learning
    Auto Word Learning
    Use Address Book as Data Source
    Automatic Word Learning from Messages

At first I would keep all those checked. Then after a while you can turn off the Automatic Word Learning from Messages

Also keep and eye on your Custom Wordlist...go in there and trim off all the junk words that the Automatic Word lLearning will stick in there.

Hope that helps...if you need anything else just holla back!

EDIT: also there is a game at mobile.blackberry.com that might help with your suretyping called Typing Trooper
    Last edited by reddog187; 08-09-2007 at 12:12 AM.

Ahhh! Yes, much better =]

Thank you very much!!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Quote Originally Posted by urlilgurl017

Try the Trooper Typing game. And with SureType it is less keypresses and is actually faster than multitap. I don't use multitap unless I have to enter a password.

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073
    Try the Trooper Typing game. And with SureType it is less keypresses and is actually faster than multitap. I don't use multitap unless I have to enter a password.
    What is the Trooper Typing game? lol

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Go to mobile.blackberry.com on your Pearl Browser. Go to Fun & Games and Click on Free Games. Accept Terms and Conditions. The first game on the list will be Trooper Typing.

ton123 no está en línea Stack level 1

What is the latest software version that doesnt have this multi-tap issue?
    I feel like downgrading.
    Love suretype when typing in english but it doesnt support my main language.
    Thx all

Quote Originally Posted by ton123
    What is the latest software version that doesnt have this multi-tap issue?
    I feel like downgrading.
    Love suretype when typing in english but it doesnt support my main language.
    Thx all
    I wish I knew =/

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

thats jsutwierd, two e's? have you tried changing your key rate? it's under options>screen keyboard

PIN/ID
    STACK

You guys can try OS version .73 not sure if it will resolve your issue.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com..._software.html

EDIT: there are also older versions in that thread also.

If you need directions to downgrade look here

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com..._mini_faq.html
    Last edited by reddog187; 08-11-2007 at 03:13 AM.