Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Originally Posted by UH8ME The BB makes a great, expensive paperweight w/o a dataplan!!! ~via ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by UH8ME
    The BB makes a great, expensive paperweight w/o a dataplan!!!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    hahaha lmao.my opinion,get the data plan.

bjrambo no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23ee9812

Re: Is the Data Plan worth it?

IMO,a Blackberry w/o a data plan is like getting a facial from a leppar. It just doesn't make sense.

You will still have a great phone and no one is going to know if you do/don't have a data plan.

Why not just try the plan for a month and see if you like it? If not, cancel and you're only out of $20. (for the data plan)

It's not required to have one as you already know.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by b_d0za
    I'M SORRY BUT IT IS A TELEPHONE. YOU TALK TO PEOPLE ON IT.

At least that's what I do with mine. I don't know about anybody else.

That's all I was looking for when I got mine. It was free with a 2 year contract. It was the coolest phone I could get for free and I'm glad I got it because it's a lot more fun than any of the other ones I could have gotten for free.

I'm sure there are other people that use this device as a telephone and I think it's wrong to tell people that their telephone is useless without a data plan. It's just ridiculous.
    I don't use mine as a phone except in emergencies, when I need to call my parents for a ride have to make or cancel an appointment while not at home. I do have 600 minutes but I don't use them all (I don't have that many people to talk to in order to spend money on a huge pool of minutes).

So to me the phone part of it isn't vital to me. I could have gotten a cheap prepaid phone if I wanted for the minutes (I seriously considered this) but its just easier to have them here on the BB. I have been known to use just the data by itself but since I need to have a phone for my active life, I have the minutes.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by sashadelgado
    OMG! I am truly annoyed at all the responses of "it's worthless without the data plan"....so----you can't use the calendar, or the phone option, or the memo pad, or the media player right? That's all junk right? The only use for the phone is the data right???OMG! Get off it.

Ignore the close minded people who think the world spins on their glorious data plans.
    I'm not being close minded at all. I am just promoting the BB for what its capabilities are with and without a data plan. I know how it is to be on a budget.

I use the data plan in addition to the calendar, memo pad, address book, and task list.

I use the calendar and address book when I need to transfer information about an appointment or event from an email to the calendar or task list. I also add contact information by chatting with friends on messengers to my address book.

I have my notes section filled with activation codes for games and applications. I get these in email also.

I browse the internet when I get an email with an important link if I'm not at home.

I have certain passwords saved from email to the password keeper.

I search for help using the help feature.

I could go on but that's how I use the data and non-data features of my BB. Makes life easier for me or I'd be severely disorganized and bored without it.

madetosink no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23FC9D3F

Ok let's put it this way. You can save the 20 bucks each month and do what with it? Go see a movie...go bowling...go to a bar (this would probably result in more than $20 being spent)...buy like 6 gallons of gas...OR...you could be able to access the web at any time...get directions...chat...download OTA...*surf pinstack*...link to your email so you can know immediately when they arrive...make your friends jealous (they will end up buying one)...basically...the BB w/o a data plan is simply put...a phone...whereas with a data plan...the possibilities increase dramatically...so think about it. $20 bucks for maybe one day worth of food or entertainment...or $20 bucks to have the most totally kick *** phone ever...take your pick

Stunray no está en línea Stack level 2

I think I'll pick the kick *** phone. Thanks for all your input everyone.

CaCHooKa Man no está en línea Stack level 3

I personally would recommend getting a data plan. It just makes an already awesome phone even better. I have unlimited data and I average around 50 MBs a month. I think its worth an extra few bucks a month to get access to OTA programs, IM services, directions, etc.

jbjackson3004 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23EEF24E

20 bucks is a steal. I pay 40 w/ ATT. I was only going to keep the plan for 1 month, but lets see...

1. I got access to more free games. and other free stuff.
    2. I can always be contacted instantly no matter what way someone tries.
    3. No more 411 charges or extra crap charges to push my bill up.
    4. I'm not limited to just stacking at home...

and 5... My personal favorite!

5. I can always verify the online price when I go to stores that match online price!

Quote Originally Posted by jbjackson3004
    20 bucks is a steal. I pay 40 w/ ATT. I was only going to keep the plan for 1 month, but lets see...

1. I got access to more free games. and other free stuff.
    2. I can always be contacted instantly no matter what way someone tries.
    3. No more 411 charges or extra crap charges to push my bill up.
    4. I'm not limited to just stacking at home...

and 5... My personal favorite!

5. I can always verify the online price when I go to stores that match online price!
    Absolutely. number 5 all the way. That is a very creative way to utilize the blackberry.

zjfarmer no está en línea Stack level 3

Well, I think that it is great to have the data plan. I dont know what I would do without it, that being said I do work in a position where emails I receive have to be answered timely and often I receive updates when I am not in the office because I too am a student. I know that having the data plan has saved me a ton, but you can still do a lot of great things with the BB without it. You are able to add applications, sync email and do many other things by syncing with your PC. And as others have said, I rely heavily on the calender, media, and tasks apps all that do not require data.

Overall, it is up to you. If you can do the extra $20 then i would suggest it, but if not the Pearl is still great without it.
    -- ZJ

"If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences." - W.I. Thomas

sarge_44 no está en línea Stack level 3

$20 Bucks a month is $240 a year. To some people that is a lot of money. To me, the Pearl is a great phone without the data plan

Quote Originally Posted by sarge_44
    $20 Bucks a month is $240 a year. To some people that is a lot of money. To me, the Pearl is a great phone without the data plan
    evian water is 1.79 for 20 oz. 1 a week and that is $372.32 a year and many gladly fork that out. what's the difference?

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Honestly without a data plan I wouldn't use a BB. Any good cell phone can do the basic BB functions, phone address book, calendar, contacts, alarm, MP3 player.

sarge_44 no está en línea Stack level 3

I am accually looking at the Tmobile Web, which is $5.99, but I heard that since I have a Pearl it will not work with my phone, is that true? and why?

Quote Originally Posted by sarge_44
    I am accually looking at the Tmobile Web, which is $5.99, but I heard that since I have a Pearl it will not work with my phone, is that true? and why?
    Tmobile web uses wap which more or less converts the web into an sms format. It is used for phones like basic motorolas, nokias and samsungs. BB uses 1) an html browser 2) service through RIM the manufacteror. Without the data feature you have no connection to RIM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast