Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I'm having a hard time determining how navigation works on the 8100. Most of the ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

BioHazardx no está en línea Stack level 1

Is the 8100 Trackball actually a Ball?

Advertisement

I'm having a hard time determining how navigation works on the 8100. Most of the videos and pictures I've seen don't really show much about that part of the phone.

BB describes the center deal as a trackball - I'm just wondering if it is a real ball that you spin to move around the screen?

If that is the case, can you remove it to clean it? I'm reminded of early ball-driven mice for the PC that would get gummed up with very little effort - yikes.

Any details on what this one is and how it works?

zukutu no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Is the 8100 Trackball actually a Ball?

The trackballs feels like the Mighty mouse from Apple.

bready no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2446C5F4

Have you ever seen those roll on deodorant things? Well that's what it feels like... Minus the deodorant of course. You scroll the trackball up and down to scroll up and down, roll left and eight to move the cursor left and right. Then, when you want to click on a link you click once (you don't have to hold down or click twice like you have to on the trackwheel.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Quote Originally Posted by BioHazardx
    I'm having a hard time determining how navigation works on the 8100. Most of the videos and pictures I've seen don't really show much about that part of the phone.

BB describes the center deal as a trackball - I'm just wondering if it is a real ball that you spin to move around the screen?

If that is the case, can you remove it to clean it? I'm reminded of early ball-driven mice for the PC that would get gummed up with very little effort - yikes.

Any details on what this one is and how it works?
    It is a trackball. And I noticed it is soft and rubbery, or sits on a spring.

I have used Logitech trackball mice for years, so I know what you mean about it getting dirty, etc. The Logitech ball is easily removed for cleaning. But mine don't require cleaning but maybe twice a year.

I looked at the 8100 ball with a jeweler's loupe and there appears a way to pop up the retaining ring that is around the ball. I was tempted to put a screwdriver in there, but I just got the phone yesterday, so I passed.

I suspect that in the future RIM will publish how to remove the ring to either clean the area or replace the ball.

P.s. With the loupe I also saw there was lint and what not floating around the ball. So I too look forward to a cleaning method coming out.

325inewbie no está en línea Stack level 3

no - it is not a ball that rolls

i don't know why people are saying it is - it is just a little more than half of a globe that you move to different sides but it doesn't roll -

Quote Originally Posted by 325inewbie
    i don't know why people are saying it is - it is just a little more than half of a globe that you move to different sides but it doesn't roll -
    How do you know that? Your half-ball assertion is half-baked to me.

I looked at it with a jeweler's loupe and it is definately a ball rolling around.

What are you basing your "half-globe" statement on? Besides, a half-ball would not allow the thing to move all over the place like it does.

yes if it was essentially sitting on a joystick it would - this was simply my impression that I got from it the short time I had it - you should listen to people who have had theirs longer - i could very well be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by 325inewbie
    yes if it was essentially sitting on a joystick it would - this was simply my impression that I got from it the short time I had it - you should listen to people who have had theirs longer - i could very well be wrong
    But it is not a joystick, otherwise one would have to move and hold your half-ball in the direction they wanted to go, that is, rather than rolling or spinning the ball, which is what we all do.

From the strength of your statement that you don't know why people keep saying it is a ball, I assumed you spoke from experience and that you did not think you could be wrong.

bready no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2446C5F4

Its a ball. If it isn't I haven't been able to reach the end of the half globe your speaking of.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

yeah i'm sticking with its not a ball - it could be calibrated based on how hard you pushed to one side it would continue to move the tracker after you stopped

sanfrancisco - you seem very sensitive about your ball (or lack thereof)

i did speak from experience - i had one and in a later post i admitted i could be wrong

why doesn't somebody draw a dot on the top and see if they can actually get it to spin around

supraz no está en línea Stack level 2

Its a ball!!! im positive!

mythmbhurts no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204D7C8C

Its a Ball Hands down!! you can feel its spinning as you roll over it!! Why would it be called a trackball and not be described as a joystick type device? I'll tell you why because it a time tested trackball like those found on a mouse. Its cheap works well and lasts a good long time with little care. Stick around I'm sure someone will break there 8100 soon and share the pictures as they take it apart!
    Thank you for the Pictures!! That was very nice of you and great pics too!
    PIN:204D7C8C http://forums.delphiforums.com/Blackberrytalk
    AIM:Austinsnyc
    Yahoo:Whips_n_licks@yahoo.com
    "8100" 4.2.0.64

jason8888 no está en línea Stack level 3

You guys are insane. It's most certainly a ball. When you press down on it you can see inside the little receptacle it sits in and see the curve of the ball. It kind of feels like a miniature ping-pong ball.
    I've also been thinking that there should be a way to take the chrome ring off
    and clean behind the ball. But, even with the chrome ring off, there's a white ring that holds it in place. I think it may be in there more or less permanently.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast