Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I moved over from the 'full-sized' keyboard blackberry (8700) to the Pearl, and on the ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

mik
    mik no está en línea Stack level 2

*Is SureType Stupid?

Advertisement

I moved over from the 'full-sized' keyboard blackberry (8700) to the Pearl, and on the whole very happy.

BUT, I continue to hate SureType - my pet hate is how it will often put non-existant words instead of real ones.

As an example, I just tried to type "I hope you are well" - It types "I hope you are qell"

Surely logic dictates that it should show existing words first?

Or am I missing the point?

Also it put all email words into the custom words list - so any spelling mistakes from other peoples spelling mistakes are in my list?

Comments, moans and groans please?

Mik

stacyd no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204E5B2B

Re: *Is SureType Stupid?

i hate sure type too,,,
    pearld

doophus no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E29EB7

I came from using a regular phone with pridictive text and sure type is a lot better then that! I love it compared to that, but I have never had a phone with a full keyboard.

dwagman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

I will second doophus and suretype is a step up from T9, but damn, i miss my 7290's full keyboard. Suretype can be retarted sometimes, and I still can't type as fast as I used to on my 7290. Can't wait for 8800 to go TMO.

mik

probably the best would have been a combination of suretype and predictive.

mik

dwagman - i am intrigued - why do you prefer suretype to t9?

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5

Quote Originally Posted by mik
    I moved over from the 'full-sized' keyboard blackberry (8700) to the Pearl, and on the whole very happy.

BUT, I continue to hate SureType - my pet hate is how it will often put non-existant words instead of real ones.

As an example, I just tried to type "I hope you are well" - It types "I hope you are qell"

Surely logic dictates that it should show existing words first?

Or am I missing the point?

Also it put all email words into the custom words list - so any spelling mistakes from other peoples spelling mistakes are in my list?

Comments, moans and groans please?

Mik
    The thing to remember with sure type is that you have to type all the way through. Don't stop in the middle of a word becuase it appears to not be spelling out correctly. You may or may not already be doing this. Once you do have a word spelled correctly hit your space key and this word is permanently remembered. You may or may not being doing this already. I bought a 7130e last year and felt the same way. Once I realized how convient sure type was there wasn't any turning back and I couldn't imagine being with out it. It's what has kept me from going to a model of blackberry that has the qwerty keyboard. As for the folks who are emailing you and making all kinds of spelling errors, well.............................

GotPearl? no está en línea Stack level 5

I came from a standard 123 key phone, suretype is much better. My dad has a 8700 and I have tried it and actually like suretype better becuase it seems easier probably becuase my fingers are small. I found myself having to really stretch my fingers to get to the keys, where as on suretype I don't have to move my fingers as much. I agree it get me torqued sometimes when it types in "golf" when I want to say "hold". Also what really gets me mad is when I want to type "haha" and it types "gags". But, I love how it learns a word after the first time you type it and then after that it knows it. I think if they could have fit a qwerty keyboard on the pearl they would have but they put suretype to save space. I had a race with my friends on who could type faster(they have normal 123 type keys) and I won by a mile. I was finished and they were still on the second word.

dwagman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

Mik - I can type faster using suretype, and with fewer errors, than with T9 on my old LG 8100. I think my old phone was retarted though, as it would never put the letter "s" into any words. At least I can use all my letters on the BB's suretype...

bobmcelroy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24533BD3

i like it

dcla no está en línea Stack level 1

I came from using the Treo so I was a little skeptical of sure type, but after using it all day everyday for the past two weeks.....I am now a believer. Yes,stopping mid-word is not the way to go. I find that when I plow through an email there are very few if any mistakes. The only thing that sucks is the @ symbol. You have to be a hand contortionist.

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB

I'm diggin it

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

make sure the language set is 'english'. also, you might want to go in and delete your 'custom word list'. you might have made one too many errors that it learned. suretype has to be customized to your personal needs. since I do very little business emails and a lot of relaxed shorthand/slang, I have it set to learn but not from incoming messages. this helps keep it from learning words I never would type, but friends do (and also from learning incorrect spelling from others).

also, the average person is actually a pretty poor speller and so they type out the word they are intending to spell, suretype dictionary can not find it and leaves them with a jumble of letters. when the correct spelling is used, suretype is on the money over 90% of the time and if there are alternative words (like 'date' and 'fate') if you scroll over you see the other potential word there as well.

I just hate suretype because everything feels cramped.

potthoff no está en línea Stack level 3

I've never had a QWERTY device, so I can't really compare. But I really like the SureType. My hands are very small and it's relatively easy to key in what I want. Occasionally it screws up, but so did T9. I'm sure I'll try QWERTY some day, but for now I'll stick with what I know and love; SureType.

mik

BlackNinja

>> I have it set to learn but not from incoming messages.

Hey! - How do I do this?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast