Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So, I'm going to Europe next summer and I want to unlock my phone so ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Optical Toxin no está en línea Stack level 1

Is my phone unlocked?

Advertisement

So, I'm going to Europe next summer and I want to unlock my phone so I can just buy a pre-paid card. First, is this the right way to get around huge overseas fees?

Secondly, when I go to Advanced Options>SIM Card it says "Security Disabled". Does this mean my phone is unlocked. If not, how can I tell for sure before I go through the process of finding a code?

SWord6736 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    304049db
    I don't believe that means its unlocked. The easy way to know is to test another carriers sim card in the phone. If it works your good. On trying to find a code who is you service provider? If att they are usually easy to get the unlock code if its t-mobile then you have to be in contract for at least 3 months before they will help you.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

ATT is my provider and I've been with them since October of last year, so it won't be an issue if I need to get the code.

Do I buy a pre-paid card here to do I buy the card when I'm in Europe?

krosli no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    747101D2
    jblackfish..just to be clear that when it says security is disabled that the phone is unlocked and can be used with another carrier. I have the same setting as well on my phone but I am not able to use another carriers sim card. If it is unlocked, is there a way so as I am able to use another carriers sim?

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Shop, compare and be sure to compare what you find out to what AT&T has to offer. It might be easier/cheaper just to go through AT&T.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 09-28-2008 at 07:03 PM.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    304049db
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    "Security Disabled" means EXACTLY that the phone is unlocked!
    I have a 8100 on t-mobile and it says the security disabled as well and it is not unlocked. That just means that you have not enabled the security for your sim card it doesn't mean you can use it for another carrier.

krosli no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    747101D2
    Quote Originally Posted by SWord6736 View Post
    I have a 8100 on t-mobile and it says the security disabled as well and it is not unlocked. That just means that you have not enabled the security for your sim card it doesn't mean you can use it for another carrier.

That is what I thought so too.

I beg your pardon! - all my phones are unlocked and I could have sworn that that display was different BEFORE I unlocked them. I thought that was the indicator. I guess I was wrong. The acid test is to try another carrier's SIM in the BB. Again, my apologies!
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Now I'm gonna go nuts if I don't find out how to tell from looking into something on the phone itself! If anyone knows please post in here. THere's got to be a way besides getting another SIM in it.

PIN/ID
    304049db
    Its cool the security disabled is telling you that you don't have PIN security enabled. I don't know anyone who does. I just tested it on one of my demo phones for Best Buy Mobile and they say the same thing. Toxin call ATT and get the unlock code for the phone and search the steps to unlock it. Its very simple to do. Then just try another carriers sim card to be sure before you go overseas. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Now I'm gonna go nuts if I don't find out how to tell from looking into something on the phone itself! If anyone knows please post in here. THere's got to be a way besides getting another SIM in it.
    Go to advanced options>SIM Card

type meppd or mepd

next to network it should say disabled if it is unlocked.

this is the information i have gathered by searching around on other websites.

PIN/ID
    304049db
    I think when you type the mepd code if all are disabled then it means its unlocked

PIN/ID
    304049db
    Well your all set then toxin just get your code and you will be set. Ill be glad when they'll get cdma unlockable so my 8330 on sprint can switch carriers.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Well I only have one question left, do I buy the SIM Card in Europe while I'm there or do I buy it here in the states and use it over there?

Quote Originally Posted by Optical Toxin View Post
    Go to advanced options>SIM Card

type meppd or mepd

next to network it should say disabled if it is unlocked.

this is the information i have gathered by searching around on other websites.
    Thanks O T and again, I apologize for my major blunder. I guess we learn every day and all make mistakes.

Here's the site of a seller of European, etc. SIM cards but you can contact the carrier and get it directly from them probably for less. Telestial is just easy.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 09-28-2008 at 07:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast