Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just got a brand new TMO 8120 and have a few questions folks... -Is it ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Meh! no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me...

Is it normal...

Advertisement

Just got a brand new TMO 8120 and have a few questions folks...

-Is it normal that my new 8120(Which I freaking LOVE as opposed to the 8100 simply for how much firmer keys are...) switches between uma and EDGE constantly when I am at home?

-Also what is it that I have been reading about having to format memory card before putting it in the 8120?

-Does "autoloc" work on the 8120?

-It did NOT like my Simore dual sim adapter at first...heh. What a TIGHT sim card slot...

-Is there anything else I should know about my new device before I tear into it? Im sure i'll think of a few questions and i'll post them as I go along..

Thanks in advance!

ps This is a GREAT forum and nice little community you guys have going here...

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    some questions i can answer:

i think there is a setting that you can fix this to where it doesn't switch automatically. i don't have the bb in front of me, so can't help much on that.

the autolock app works

if you are going from 8100 to 8120 with media card, for extra measures, i would just save the cards contents on your pc, reformat the card or erase, place into the 8120 and then reload the contents.

i agree the keys and trackball feel a bit different (the hubby is rocking the 8120 after having the 8100 for almost 2 years). do you think its bc you wore out the keys/trackball from the old one

DiamondD2506 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    *Ask*
    HEy!! I just got one recently too...the UMA/EDGE thing? It might be trying to connect to whichever is stronger. My hubby helped me figure out the whole wifi thing but you might wanna check your wireless router to make sure its working properly.....and the mem card thing-i had the same prob. We had to copy my media files to the PC while connected to my previous phone, then format in the new 8120, then copy all my media from my PC to my new phone. You might not be able to transfer your pics to the new phone though-that made mine reboot consistently!!

Anybody else wanna pitch in?

DiamondD2506 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    *Ask*
    Lol you beat me to it Cherri!!

PIN/ID
    PM me...
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Ill Reply in More detail when I'm on pc again but my clock keeps going an hour forward and settings are set just like they were on my pearl... Thanks for above help but as I said...

Thanks.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    coolness. i can help at night when the 8120 is here, but during the day the hubby is at work with it

PIN/ID
    PM me...

Media player is crazy slow at loading ringtones and won't sort by folder? Because I organized it all on memory card in ringtones folder but it just shows a huge list? Doh

PIN/ID
    PM me...
    Also here's a good one... With myalarm it asks permission everytime is supposed to go off and won't let the tune play without permission. Under app settings I have everything set to allow?

PIN/ID
    PM me...
    Okay..Heres ANOTHER update...

-I got it to quit switching between edge and uma by setting it the uma preferred. So thats fixed.

-Memory card thing..I done the above mentioned, and so far so good...crosses fingers?

-AutoLock does indeed work..So thats another case closed.

-My clock still continues to reset itself a hour forward or backwards? HM

-The media player is slow at opening ringtones and almost freezes. I have them all store on a 2gb media card that only has a total of about 600mb worth of junk on it at the moment. And sending mms pictures, I haven't gotten it to work at all yet? Also I still haven't found a fix for browsing ringtones in the folders I neatly organized them into..DOH <That last one is irritating as...

-I am having problems with "ihurtados" MyAlarm application. I have all the permissions for the application set to "allow" however when the alarm is supposed to go off a box pops up asking yay or nay to allow it to access files? Weird thing is about it that under the application permissions when you click a specific permission to change it opens the drop down menu that for some reason has allow at the top of the drop down, and allow at the bottom of the drop down? I am thinking that app just may simply not work with the 8120, however BBSmarts Alarm application works just find with the exception of it being a 10 day trial..But I am almost afraid to set my alarm when you combine it with the convenience of my resetting clock..lol

Okay that is the end of my long life story. hah. But if anyone could help I would most greatly appreciate it. To the above posters, thanks! I look forward to you fine folks assistance in solving these problems that are bugging me.

Thanks in advance!

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Myalarm will work if you turn on your firewall.....but that may cause other things to give you fits. I gave up and bought an alarm app.

PIN/ID
    PM me...
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    Myalarm will work if you turn on your firewall.....but that may cause other things to give you fits. I gave up and bought an alarm app.

What alarm app did you give into? I'm definately impressed with bbsmarts alarm but ihurtados was free, and free always works and it got the job done. I'm leanin towards bbsmart alarm unless you have somethin different to point me towards?

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Well, when I 1st got my 8130 the BBSmart alarms pro had not been released yet so I bought Mobylo MultiAlarm. It was expensive...$29 I think. It allows 6 different alarms, not as up to date or as many options as BBSmart's.

Well I got my new 8330 a couple weeks ago and transferred Mobylo to that, but then came accross a deal to get BBSmart Alarms pro free so I got it. The only problem I have with it is that the snooze function doesn't work properly for me....a 15 minute snooze goes off again in 8 minutes.....contacted support over a week ago and got no response

PIN/ID
    PM me...

Well I'd rather it work mostly than not at all...lol thanks for the heads up.

Does anybody else have anything else for me on my list?

I appreciate the help thus far!

PIN/ID
    PM me...

Okay guys, I've ran into a few more problems...

Sometimes when I open the camera it just shows a gray screen? When I try to record video it just locks up and is unresponsive or restarts. I'm thinkin it may have something to do with the memory card I have in. I hate to beat a dead horse, but what is the exact process of getting memory card to work right? What do I do from my BB and what do I do on PC?

I would really like to solve this asap because if it is a defective phone I need to get a hold of TMO, however right now I believe it is probably just opertor error heh.

Thanks!

ps Oh ya, my call log is deleting itself and my texts are disappearing too? What the poo does that mean?
    Last edited by Meh!; 07-10-2008 at 09:47 AM.

mcm180 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    mcm180
    Quote Originally Posted by Meh! View Post
    Okay guys, I've ran into a few more problems...
    Sometimes when I open the camera it just shows a gray screen? When I try to record video it just locks up and is unresponsive or restarts. I'm thinkin it may have something to do with the memory card I have in. I hate to beat a dead horse, but what is the exact process of getting memory card to work right? What do I do from my BB and what do I do on PC?
    I would really like to solve this asap because if it is a defective phone I need to get a hold of TMO, however right now I believe it is probably just opertor error heh.
    Thanks!
    ps Oh ya, my call log is deleting itself and my texts are disappearing too? What the poo does that mean?

based on what you just said, it sounds like you have memory issues.

device memory issues and media card issues.

How many gigs is your media card ??- by the way .. if you are using OS 4.3 or higher .. which I'm sure you are since it's a new 8120 - you can use up to 8 GB microSD card. sounds like you have a lot a lot of stuff on there

also ... as mentioned, back up all your info that is on the media card (cut and paste to a folder on your desktop) then insert the card into your BB, then go to options, and media card ... click menu .. and select FORMAT card, it will erase everything. then plug in your device to the desktop, then click on my computer .. click on blackberry and drag that folder that has all your info (the one on your desktop) right into the opened bb folder and that should do it.

with the call log deleting business .. that's your phone going into "fight or flight" mode ... your device has decided you have reached critically low internal flash memory and will start deleting text messages and missed calls stuff like that.

go to your options menu (the wrench) click on status and then see how much mem you have available .. if you have a lot of apps, an enormous address book, unnecessary language files, those things will certainly affect that.

there is a 15 page thread on how to increase memory on the Pearls (all of them) here . http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=13747

with respect to the time issue .. have you checked the "options", and "date/time" menu? make sure you have the right time zone, and whether or not you want your bb to pull the time that you set, or the time from the network you are on.

see screen shot below

with respect to the ringtones

the Operating Systems weren't designed to use folders in that sub-category.. you can create them and all .. but it's not like the MUSIC sub-category where it will list them by folder if you choose to do so. It kinda makes sense though.. you don't want to have your phone searching through countless folders in your ringtone every single time a call comes in. I don't see the need for it. and believe me .. i'm a folder freak .. but i gotta side with RIM on this one.

whew .... making me work so hard so early in the morning!! hahahahahah ... gotta love the stacks! hahahaha
    Last edited by mcm180; 07-10-2008 at 11:44 AM. Reason: typo
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." ~BLAISE PASCAL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast