Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hey everyone, I'm back for those of you who remember me . So now that ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

GotPearl? no está en línea Stack level 5

iPhone Vs. Pearl (Update)

Advertisement

Hey everyone,

I'm back for those of you who remember me . So now that I have gotten a chance to try out the iPhone for a little while I think I am going to write another review. I also have to say the pinstack community is so much nicer than the stupid apple forums. So here we go!

The iPhone (I'm just going to go in order the applications appear on the screen)

The sms on the iphone is really unique as I said before. It really makes me feel like i'm in iChat talking to the other person. The pearl had just normal texting, I just think the iphone is more visual and i like that. There really isn't much to say lol.

Moving on to the calendar. I have use it only a few times because I have a pretty good memory. But, the few times I have used it it had not failed me! It is a basic calendar that gets the job done ( and also lets you set the time in a very cool way).

The photo application overall murders the pearl. I have about 929 pictures on the iphone right now. How you can flip it and enlarge the pictures has been helpful so many times! The slideshow function also has been helpful in times of need. I might also mention before I forget that the phone is running just as fast now as when I got it, whereas when i had the pearl whenever i would go into my photos on my sd card it would take FOREVER to load all of the pictures i had!

The camera on the iphone i would have to say is better in the daylight then the pearl, but since the iphone doesn't have a flash the pearl wins at night. I also think the iphone is better because you can take photos veritcally or horizontally with ease.

Youtube obviously wins on the iphone since you can't even view anything from youtube on the pearl. The videos do take a little while to buffer when using EDGE on the iphone though. I just deal with it because I realize that it can't be lighting fast like the internet on a computer (if you have high speed internet of course lol).

I really don't use the stocks because I am 14 years old (i know what you all are going to say). It basically just shows whatever stock you would like which i believe you can check over the internet on the pearl.

The maps application on this iphone is really great. You can get directions and even view your house like in google earth! This is another area where the iphone wins hands down.

The weather is just the weather. The pearl had weather, the iphone has weather.

The iphone has 4 different types of "clocks" in the clocks application. There is a world clock, an alarm, a stopwatch, and a timer. The world clock would be useful i suppose if you travel a lot and just need to know what time it is in other areas in the world, i just use it for fun and it is pretty cool. The alarm on the iphone saves all of the alarms you have set over time. This has been helpful when I have been really tired and known i have to set the alarm. I just click the on button instead of having to go through setting everything and saving it. The stopwatch is a basic stop watch and has been useful when running or timing for speech lengths. The timer is a basic timer. You set the time, you set the tone you want to go off at the end of the time, press the start button, done.

The calculator is a calculator. It has helped with math homework lol.

The notes application is just like the memos application of the pearl. Just a nice easy way to write down something so you don't forget. I use it sometimes during class if i need to take notes and don't have a piece of paper, or even if i'm in the car and hear a new song on the radio I like I just write down then name of the song and download it when i get home.

The iTunes application is so cool! It just like having itunes on the go! You can but whatever you would like on the fly and then when you get back you plug your iphone in and it sends the song to your computer so you don't have to buy it all over again.

The phone has recent calls, contact, a keypad, and visual voicemail. The recent calls is self explanatory. The contacts are pretty easy to maneuver through. The only thing that sort of bugs me here is the only way to search for contacts is to touch the letter of the person to find them. This gets annoying because the letters are so close together you always hit the wrong one! The pearl wins in this category. The keypad is just a keypad. The voicemail is visual which is very cool . You can see everything you need and has given me no trouble, i'm just mad the iphone can't have answer back tones

The e-mail works fine. I am just not happy that you have to delete everything one by one and can't delete more than one thing at once. I really don't know what apple was thinking here.

Safari has been great. I have used it sooooooooooooooooooooo many times. The full webpages are always a plus. Tabs are great and so are bookmarks.

The ipod feature doesn't need that much explaining i don't think. It just murders the pearls music player.

So I am sorry for the less information as the review comes closer to an end I am just tired. I would say the iphone suits me more because i don't need some of the things the pearl has and the iphone is centered more around media. I may update this later today. All comments are welcome. Also in no way, shape, or form am I trying to get people to buy the iphone i am just telling people the differences between the two

Hope this helped,
    Got Pearl

elacogdhs no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: iPhone Vs. Pearl (Update)

I think the iphone is cool but it depends on what suits you. I have way more needs the BB can hit and the iphone can't. Thanks for all the info though.

mac14x no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    217a1629

But still Iphone costs how much? like 600$? and pearl 300$? Plus iphone is from apple with is a multimedia company that mostly does ipod and imac (hate those things). Pearl is from blackberry with is mostly for business so you cant really judge that the multimedia sucks. Also txting or any kind of writing on the iphone is a pain. Once i tried to type "death from above" and it took me 5 MIN coz i kept missing the letter (and i clicked it with my nail) trust me i tried the iphone. AND look at the size? i mean wow its huge.....(Maybe i dont rly know anything about bb but still i think iphone is the worse phone ever i dont even think its a phone (coz of the way it looks) lol)
    Last edited by mac14x; 12-01-2007 at 04:11 AM.

staindone no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20F059B5

Quote Originally Posted by GotPearl? View Post
    Hey everyone,

I'm back for those of you who remember me . So now that I have gotten a chance to try out the iPhone for a little while I think I am going to write another review. I also have to say the pinstack community is so much nicer than the stupid apple forums. So here we go!

The iPhone (I'm just going to go in order the applications appear on the screen)

The sms on the iphone is really unique as I said before. It really makes me feel like i'm in iChat talking to the other person. The pearl had just normal texting, I just think the iphone is more visual and i like that. There really isn't much to say lol.
    Texting is texting. But texting on a touch screen compared to an actual keypad. Pearl wins.

Moving on to the calendar. I have use it only a few times because I have a pretty good memory. But, the few times I have used it it had not failed me! It is a basic calendar that gets the job done ( and also lets you set the time in a very cool way).
    Again tie.

The photo application overall murders the pearl. I have about 929 pictures on the iphone right now. How you can flip it and enlarge the pictures has been helpful so many times! The slideshow function also has been helpful in times of need. I might also mention before I forget that the phone is running just as fast now as when I got it, whereas when i had the pearl whenever i would go into my photos on my sd card it would take FOREVER to load all of the pictures i had!
    Iphone.

The camera on the iphone i would have to say is better in the daylight then the pearl, but since the iphone doesn't have a flash the pearl wins at night. I also think the iphone is better because you can take photos veritcally or horizontally with ease.
    Tie.

Youtube obviously wins on the iphone since you can't even view anything from youtube on the pearl. The videos do take a little while to buffer when using EDGE on the iphone though. I just deal with it because I realize that it can't be lighting fast like the internet on a computer (if you have high speed internet of course lol).
    Tie. 8130 has Youtube capabilities.

I really don't use the stocks because I am 14 years old (i know what you all are going to say). It basically just shows whatever stock you would like which i believe you can check over the internet on the pearl.
    Tie.

The maps application on this iphone is really great. You can get directions and even view your house like in google earth! This is another area where the iphone wins hands down.
    Tie.

Tie.

The iphone has 4 different types of "clocks" in the clocks application. There is a world clock, an alarm, a stopwatch, and a timer. The world clock would be useful i suppose if you travel a lot and just need to know what time it is in other areas in the world, i just use it for fun and it is pretty cool. The alarm on the iphone saves all of the alarms you have set over time. This has been helpful when I have been really tired and known i have to set the alarm. I just click the on button instead of having to go through setting everything and saving it. The stopwatch is a basic stop watch and has been useful when running or timing for speech lengths. The timer is a basic timer. You set the time, you set the tone you want to go off at the end of the time, press the start button, done.
    Iphone.

Tie.

The notes application is just like the memos application of the pearl. Just a nice easy way to write down something so you don't forget. I use it sometimes during class if i need to take notes and don't have a piece of paper, or even if i'm in the car and hear a new song on the radio I like I just write down then name of the song and download it when i get home.
    Tie.

The iTunes application is so cool! It just like having itunes on the go! You can but whatever you would like on the fly and then when you get back you plug your iphone in and it sends the song to your computer so you don't have to buy it all over again.
    Iphone.

The phone has recent calls, contact, a keypad, and visual voicemail. The recent calls is self explanatory. The contacts are pretty easy to maneuver through. The only thing that sort of bugs me here is the only way to search for contacts is to touch the letter of the person to find them. This gets annoying because the letters are so close together you always hit the wrong one! The pearl wins in this category. The keypad is just a keypad. The voicemail is visual which is very cool . You can see everything you need and has given me no trouble, i'm just mad the iphone can't have answer back tones

The e-mail works fine. I am just not happy that you have to delete everything one by one and can't delete more than one thing at once. I really don't know what apple was thinking here.
    Pearl.

Safari has been great. I have used it sooooooooooooooooooooo many times. The full webpages are always a plus. Tabs are great and so are bookmarks.
    Pearl. Opera is easier to use.

The ipod feature doesn't need that much explaining i don't think. It just murders the pearls music player.
    Tie. 8130 has a great music player.

So I am sorry for the less information as the review comes closer to an end I am just tired. I would say the iphone suits me more because i don't need some of the things the pearl has and the iphone is centered more around media. I may update this later today. All comments are welcome. Also in no way, shape, or form am I trying to get people to buy the iphone i am just telling people the differences between the two

Hope this helped,
    Got Pearl
    Hmmmm.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

I think it really depends on what you want.

For me, I don't care about YouTube, and really never surf the internet that much from my phone. I use it only to look up important information (phone numbers, addresses, weather, news and google maps for driving directions).

I also don't play music on my phone. I do take pictures with it once in a while, but not enough to care too much.

I do need a customizable calender which syncs with Outlook for business use. I need e-mail support for multiple e-mail sites (through BIS). I need rock solid call logs, e-mail delivery and bluetooth and the Pearl wins for me. Not to mention the great size of the pearl.

Really just depends on what you wanted. If I wanted to get rid of my iPod, surf the web and text message, I might think about the iPhone.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

AndyR no está en línea Stack level 2

I always wanted an iPhone since i first heard it. But after looking at it for several weeks I figured that the iPhone was going to cost me a fortune after 2 years of contract. The phone itself is a lot of money and the monthly bill is also a lot and you add those up and you got your self a big bill for 2 years. I calculated that it was going to cost me about 2,000 and with that I can purchase tons of stuff.
    Like a PS3 that I want very badly.

Quote Originally Posted by mac14x View Post
    But still Iphone costs how much? like 600$? and pearl 300$? Plus iphone is from apple with is a multimedia company that mostly does ipod and imac (hate those things). Pearl is from blackberry with is mostly for business so you cant really judge that the multimedia sucks. Also txting or any kind of writing on the iphone is a pain. Once i tried to type "death from above" and it took me 5 MIN coz i kept missing the letter (and i clicked it with my nail) trust me i tried the iphone. AND look at the size? i mean wow its huge.....(Maybe i dont rly know anything about bb but still i think iphone is the worse phone ever i dont even think its a phone (coz of the way it looks) lol)
    Well as far as typing goes coming from the pearl it was VERY easy to adjust to. I am just trying to give people a perspective from both worlds. I'm not trying to be mean here, but just because you have tried it in the store doesn't mean that's how it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by staindone View Post
    Hmmmm.
    I was comparing it to my old pearl the 8100 which doesn't have youtube capabilities or a decent music player. The blackberry does win on the e-mail side because that is what it's based on. The iphone is based on the media. I do agree with those of you who say it all depends on what you wants, which is 100% true.

Rawjek no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    257a0eea

Wow at 14 I was still playing with my transformers!~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by Rawjek View Post
    Wow at 14 I was still playing with my transformers!~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I know, I used to get that about the pearl all the time on here.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Everyone is right...It does just depend on what you use it for.

I carry both an iPhone and an 8320 on me at both times.

I use the iphone as the phone for the most part. The BlackBerry is for business. Easier to type an email on the fly than the iphone is, however, the iphone does have many positives over a BlackBerry, just as a BlackBerry has many positives over the iPhone.

And an iphone isn't $600 (anymore), they are $400, which still is steep for a phone.

Here are my opinions:

Iphone good:
    Safari browser and wifi is ridiculously faster than the 8320.
    Larger screen
    Touch screen does come in handy quite often believe it or not.
    Camera picture quality IMO is better than any BlackBerry so far (i was actually quite impressed by the quality).

However, BlackBerry good:
    Instant email
    Instant messaging clients that STAY LOGGED ON
    Full keyboard
    BlackBerry Messenger
    The ability to create profiles that you can change on the go. The iPhone sucks at that...You have your default and vibrate, that's it. No customizing (as of now).

Bottom line is, BlackBerry will always be focused on business, working with no downtime, etc.

To try and compare them in a way there is no comparison, however, for the general public, they do compare them.

IMO, anyone who goes out and gets an iPod touch should just go ahead and get the iphone instead, hack it, and use it as a 2nd line or a 2nd phone.

Funny thing is, if you go over to Howard Forums and look at one of the threads in the Apple forum that asks "Whats your other phone", you will see that 70% of the responses in that thread state that their 2nd phone is a BlackBerry (Believe it or not).

So that goes to show that there are several people out there carrying both devices, which makes me feel better because now I know I'm not all that wierd. =-)

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Share a few of my opinions and comments...easier than writing a full review from scratch. =-)

The SMS chat bubbles are much fanicer than the way that the BlackBerry displays them. I would love to see this visual effect put onto a BlackBerry, or someone create a 3rd party application that could cause that to happen. As you said, it feels more personal.

The calendar is okay. To Visual view of it though I really don't know how I would compare to the BlackBerry, because it's a little harder to read at a quick glance. IE: if my BLackBerry Calendar is pulled up, I can get an idea of HOW busy I am on a specific day because it shows the little boxes throughout the day...The iphone doesn't do that though, it just shows that you have an appointment in there. However, being that it does have a touchscreen, it's quick to be able to just touch the day you want to see and have them show up at the bottom in the preview area. That would be good to see incorporated onto a BB as well. But like I said, for calendar events, I use the BlackBerry because it, unlike the iphone, has never failed me.

I agree with the pictures pulling up faster, however, remember that the BB's are pulling from an external memory source, where-as the iphone isn't. The ability to flip through pictures is very impressive as well. That combined with the size of the screen IMO is why I prefer viewing pictures on the iPhone.

As I mentioned in the above post, IMO the camera on the iPhone has much better quality than that of any BlackBerry I have seen so far. Not having a flash is fine with me, since the flash is kinda sorta useless on the BlackBerry in most instances. I wish however the camera application had a few more options on the iphone. However, numerous pics I have taken on the BB turn out blurry, however, the iphone i think has given me maybe 1 blurry picture.

I am not a big YouTube fan, but I do use it. Yes, it is better on the iPhone, simply IMO is because it's easy to use. There's no work to it at all that you have to do. You click it, the videos and options are there. No having to go through 3 websites just to get to that point.

The stock application is very nice, however, I am a little concerned about information being backdoor leaked out to Apple whenever I use it. I really don't care even if it's just a little non-important information that is going out to them. Funny thing is, someone looked at my iphone and looked at the stocks and said "Hey, why do you have RIMM on there and not APL?". =-)

You can do that with the BB as well. GMaps pretty much work the same way. On the BlackBerry, the GMaps is easier to navigate (IE the menus, options), however, to actually look at things I give the advantage to the iphone, simply because of the screen size.

The weather app is a plus on the iphone IMO. I love the ability to load as many cities as you want around the world and simply be able to flip right through them. A lot less time consuming and more graphics than the BB applications. I also like how it will show you if it's day or night.

You did a good job summing the clock section up, but one thing I would like to mention are the world clocks. To me, this is great to within 1 touch be able to pull up this list...I wish that was possible on the BlackBerry. Reason being, I deal with clients and partners all over the world, not just the US, so it's nice to within a matter of seconds, know what time it is where I am going to be calling or emailing. Just as with the weather application, you can put almost any city in the world in there and it will find it. Sydney, Hong Kong, Rio de Janero, you name it.

The calculator on the iphone sucks compared to the BB IMO. Very very basic. However, you can change the graphic of it which is pretty cool. But other than that, it sucks.

Notes is good. I don't use it much, but when I do, it's simple to get to. However, I use the memo pad on the BlackBerry. May just be personal preference, but I think it works better.

Meh..iTunes...I am guessing you mean the itunes wifi store? Does me no good...I don't pay for music. I just steal it from file sharing services. Not that I condone that, it's just the wifi store doesnt help me or impress me in any way.
    I have found myself catching up on episodes of TheSoup and The Shield. What I do like about the multimedia, is the fact that you can subscribe to podcasts and they will update on the phone.
    Example: I have 7 podcasts that I subscribe to.
    I come into work, start itunes in the background and all day long it updates those podcasts.
    An hour before I leave work, I plug in the iphone and let it sync.
    I leave work and I am watching the news on the way home (no lectures about BB/Iphone while driving..hahaha).
    I get done, I delete it.
    It's actually a time-saver IMO allowing me to keep up to date on more things that interest me, without taking a ton of my time to do so.

The phone part...Meh...The address book is easier to use on a BlackBerry. Visual voicemail i have no idea because I am running this on TMOBZ rather than AT&T, however, I doubt that visual voicemail would impress me all that much.

The email sucks. It's got a nice look to it, but the functionality is terrible. And every 15 minutes is a joke. Sure there are 3rd party apps out there they have made that allow it to "push" email down, but IMO the email is the worst part of the iphone (Other than the fact that the housing likes to pluck out facial hair if you haven't shaved in a day). The iPhone doesn't and never will beat a BlackBerry when it comes to email performance. One thing I do like is the application called "Send Song", so that any song that I have on my iPhone, I can send via email to someone. And if you're on wifi, it sends pretty damn fast. Thats a plus there. It's quick and easy to use.

Safari is the best mobile browser I have ever seen. One thing that does irk me, is there are numerous times when I can't get the damn thing to zoom in, which really really really sucks when you are on a webpage filled with links and you keep hitting the wrong link. Plus, you can't download and save anything from the browser. That sucks too. The ability to have numerous pages up though KICKS ***!

Yes...And no...I dunno...I really don't care which I use, as the album view is a PITA when you're trying to drive and change songs. It scrolls to fast sometimes. Plus, you can't make playlists on the phone? Come on...That blows.

All in all, good review you did there.
    I am trying to get the motivation to do an entire indepth review with picutres and all, i'm just being lazy.

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB View Post
    (Other than the fact that the housing likes to pluck out facial hair if you haven't shaved in a day).
    LMAO... you just gave me the best reason NOT to buy an iPhone (other than the ATT network). My Moto krazr does this and it drives me nuts. Nothing like yellin' ouch during a call!

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Quote Originally Posted by doughdaddy View Post
    LMAO... you just gave me the best reason NOT to buy an iPhone (other than the ATT network). My Moto krazr does this and it drives me nuts. Nothing like yellin' ouch during a call!
    Lol. Sometimes, it's the little things!
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

alwaysbelieve1 no está en línea Stack level 5

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB View Post

The phone part...Meh...The address book is easier to use on a BlackBerry. Visual voicemail i have no idea because I am running this on TMOBZ rather than AT&T, however, I doubt that visual voicemail would impress me all that much.
    How are you using it on Tmobile? Unlocked?
    Bob Garon II, Kettlebell Coach

Fitness Has Nothing To Do With Looking Good.
    BobGaronTraining.com

Follow Me At:
    Twitter
    Facebook

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast