I'm thinking of traveling out of the states, and instead of using a phone card ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

plucks no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2180BB67

international use?

Advertisement

I'm thinking of traveling out of the states, and instead of using a phone card or getting a phone while in various countries, I would like to be able to use my pearl.Is there anything I should do to the phone?Could I get a sim card in each country to get local services?Thanks!

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: international use?

Get your Pearl unlocked, and you could use any pre-paid SIM while traveling. You might not be able to get data services pre-paid, but you should definitely be able to get voice services pre-paid.

PIN/ID
    2180BB67

Sounds easy enough...not worried about the data.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

rspoppel no está en línea Stack level 1

If your a Cingular customer, they lock the phones when you purchase it. but if you are a customer in good standing after 90 days you can call the support line, explain that you will be leaving the country an using a pre-paid card. After the sales pitch about how you can roam with your own number, they will provide you with info on getting the phone unlocked.

As I remember it was an email request with your IMEI, and then a day or so later you received an email with instructions on how to do this. I've not done it on my Pearl, no real reason to lift the lock on my phone since I dont plan to leave the country and dont plan to leave Cingular/AT&T, but have on 2-3 other phones this way.

greenandgold52 no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~tmobile will do the same thing. Also you can get international data for an extra 20.

PIN/ID
    2180BB67

Thanks RSOPOPPEL

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

soulmedic no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

Tmobile offers an International Data plan? I looked on their website and didn't see any offering like that. My Pearl is unlocked, planning on spending a couple months out of the country, so looking for good options for international travel. Is there a name for that Int data plan on their site that I can reference?

TIA,
    SoulMedic

PIN/ID
    2180BB67

so i got my phone unlocked...
    any recommendations on good international SIM card carriers so i don't have to get a new SIM card in each country?
    I am going to about 10 countries so one card is ideal...

drewb0y no está en línea Stack level 1

The T-Mobile International data plan you need is actually called Blackberry International Roaming , which is an 19.99 a month in addition to whatever data plan you have already. That just gives you a blanket coverage for all the roaming data charges, which at .15 per kilobyte vcan add up quickly. You can add this roaming data feature before you leave and remove it whenever you get back, and it will be prorated.

Make sure you also have the World class roaming feature added or you will not be able to connect at all.