Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

U know I called T Mobile a few days ago and I asked them about ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

peterbabiy no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    23DE41AA

Insurance on PEARL? Is it worth it?

Advertisement

U know I called T Mobile a few days ago and I asked them about getting an insurance on this phone and they told me its $6 every month and in case something happens to my phone they will exchange it but with an additional $120 out of my pocket. I don’t understand what kind of insurance that is. So now I'm thinking if this track ball breaks I will have to get a new phone for $300 but if I have insurance I will pay $6/month AND $120 for an exchange. I don’t know which one should I do? Get an insurance or just let it be the way it is and hope that the track ball or anything else wont break...

Any suggestions?

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b
    Look at it this way...

Would you rather pay $72 a year and pay $120 each time something happens, granted there isnt a limit on claims.

Or pay nothing per month and if something happens having to buy the phone for full price.

I think insurance is wonderful, I have it on my BB.

diesel1218 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32CAA233
    well here is the thing. T-mobile will replace the phone for free under the 1 year warranty. By that time I am sure the pearl will be lower in price on eBay if something happens to it. I think the insurance is a piece of crap now. It used to be 30 bucks and they shipped you out a new phone.
    Blackberry 8830 WORLD EDITION

Blackberry PIN - 32CAA233

MySpace http://www.myspace.com/andrews9

PIN/ID
    23DE41AA
    Ye but they will only cover for a year if something happens with the phone inside or with an operating system or software. But when it has to do with hardware problem or something breaks, they wont cover it.

ic
    ic no está en línea Stack level 1
    there is a thread on it on blackberry forums. there is suposedly a company that will insure your pda (pearl included) for the same (theft, damage, etc.) as t-mobile, but charges 50/ year with no deductible.

the company address is www.safeware.com

hope this helps

mrdeeno no está en línea Stack level 3
    you are talking about 2 different things...

1) Warranty - If there is a DEFECT, such as the trackball breaking or cracking through no fault or accident of your own, T-mo will replace or repair it for you through the RIM warranty, and this means they can replace it with a refurbished unit if they wish. This does NOT cover accidents.

2) Insurance - This is what the $6/mo is paying for. This is VERY different from a warranty. If you drop your phone or drown it or do something to ACCIDENTALLY break it or if it gets stolen, the insurance will cover this AFTER the deductible is paid. The reason they have a deductible is so people don't make claims for stupid little cosmetic thigns. If they (the insurance company) suspects that it was intentional and can prove it, they can refuse your claim.

Honestly, i do not think the insurance is worth it namely because of the $6 per month as well as the deductible...But then again i'm pretty careful with my stuff.

PIN/ID
    23DE41AA
    You make sense "mrdeeno"

ic
    ic no está en línea Stack level 1
    i just received a quote from safeware on insurance for the pearl. the annual premium is $42/year ($3.50/month) on $350 coverage (retail for bb at t mob). there is a deductible of $0 and it is protected against loss, damage, theft etc. this is a much better deal than what tmob offers, the only question is the solvency of the company. i have not done any research on them, but if you have any info please feel free to share it.

rkkeller no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit
    Everyone knows insurance is for suckers.

I disagree. I had insurance with a Verizon smartphone and someone talked me into cancelling it. Oh you dont need it, its a rip off, look how much it costs a year, nothings going to happen to your phone, yada yada...

Two months later I dropped the phone and the display cracked and it became unusuable a day or two after that. It cost me well over $500 to replace it instead of $50 if I had insurance.

$60-70 a year is well worth the cost of insurance if you have a high end cell, smartphone or pda. Its not for people with free phones or no frills ones.

rkkeller no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by ic
    this is a much better deal than what tmob offers, the only question is the solvency of the company.

I can think of another question.

How quick is their turnaround ? I see with PC's you have to actually mail them your computer and they will try to fix it. Is it the same with BB's or cell phones ?

With Tmobile you take your broken phone to their local store, they note your account its broken and you get another that same day or a few days later.

~BLACK ICE~ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23e224ba
    Quote Originally Posted by rkkeller
    I can think of another question.

How quick is their turnaround ? I see with PC's you have to actually mail them your computer and they will try to fix it. Is it the same with BB's or cell phones ?

With Tmobile you take your broken phone to their local store, they note your account its broken and you get another that same day or a few days later.
    +1 for TMO. I have always purchased the Insurance. For the life of the contract, be it 1-2yrs, something is bound to happen. You might drop it, brake it, take it for a swim, have it stolen, etc..

For the price of insurance you can have it replaced much cheaper than purchasing a new phone.

AntMoOAK no está en línea Stack level 1
    I was in a car accident last year... where my 7100t was totaled/lost whateveer. The insurance covered it but I felt the $110 deductible to me wasn't worth it because I could have found the same unit on ebay or Craigslist for the same price without the privilege of paying $ 6 per month. So on my new 8100, I have the insurance, but as prices go down or as I desire a new model anyway, I'll remove the insurance.

PIN/ID
    23e224ba
    Quote Originally Posted by AntMoOAK
    I was in a car accident last year... where my 7100t was totaled/lost whateveer. The insurance covered it but I felt the $110 deductible to me wasn't worth it because I could have found the same unit on ebay or Craigslist for the same price without the privilege of paying $ 6 per month. So on my new 8100, I have the insurance, but as prices go down or as I desire a new model anyway, I'll remove the insurance.
    why would a deductable be so high ? that is INSANE!!

AntMoOAK no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdeeno
    The reason they have a deductible is so people don't make claims for stupid little cosmetic thigns.
    It's a rip but from they're standpoint, it makes sense

PIN/ID
    23e224ba
    Quote Originally Posted by AntMoOAK
    It's a rip but from they're standpoint, it makes sense
    I think they have a point, but $110 deduc. for a CELLPHONE ??? that is CRAZY! I have never heard of a deduc that high.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast