Now that prices for even nice phones have gone way down from the days of ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Smile Insurance for the Phone

Advertisement

Now that prices for even nice phones have gone way down from the days of $500-$600 PDA phones, insurance for loss is not all that necessary.

But when I bought the 8100 I inquired from TMO what the insurance cost for it [even though the phone is only $200 after rebate]. After hearing the cost I said forget about it.

She quoted $5+ monthly for the insurance and a $110 deductible. I was so shocked I actually said "Well that's not a good deal, forget that" and we moved on to other topics.

Just FYI.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

Re: Insurance for the Phone

the deductible for a 8700g i believe is $120. I'm paying $5.99 a month for insurance. Should I keep the insurance? I'm just trying to be on the safe side..

Quote Originally Posted by flash24
    the deductible for a 8700g i believe is $120. I'm paying $5.99 a month for insurance. Should I keep the insurance? I'm just trying to be on the safe side..
    The only reason I passed on it is because the phone is not worth insuring. But that is because historically I do not lose or drop phones and I have never had one stolen.

I passed on insurance because assuming I keep the phone for 18 months without incident and it gets smashed in month 19, that would result in my paying about $220 to get a new phone [$6 x 18 months, plus $110 deductible].

In 18 months the 8100 Pearl will probably be available on eBay for $100 or less. That's the way of the tech market. So you can see that the insurance is not cost effective beyond maybe about month six or thereabouts.

But all this is irrelevant if you are prone to losing or misplacing your phone. If that is the situation, then maybe insurance is a good idea.

On my old Sprint account insurance was $3 monthly and only a $25 deductible. In my mind that made more economic sense.
    Last edited by sanfrancisco; 09-19-2006 at 11:50 AM.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

Quote Originally Posted by sanfrancisco
    The only reason I passed on it is because the phone is not worth insuring. But that is because historically I do not lose or drop phones and I have never had one stolen.

My beef is that assuming I keep the phone for 18 months without incident and it gets smashed in month 19, that would result in my paying about $220 to get a new phone [$6 x 18 months, plus $110 deductible].

In 18 months the 8100 Pearl will probably be available on eBay for $100 or less. That's the way of the tech market. So you can see that the insurance is not cost effective beyond maybe about month six or thereabouts.

But all this is irrelevant if you are prone to losing or misplacing your phone. If that is the situation, then maybe insurance is a good idea.

On my old Sprint account insurance was $3 monthly and only a $25 deductible. In my mind that made more economic sense.
    make sense.. I never had any of my phones stolen also nor damage them, maybe a couple of drops but nothing big. I know $110 deductible is big.. what are they thinking? Anywayz, thanks for the tip man.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I only pay $5.99 per month for equipment protection each time I buy a phone. Is that the same as insurance?

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

If you are that concerned about insurance for your phone, just take $7/month a stash it your desk at home and if the need ever arises, just go pay cash for one.

Like Chris Rock said, Insurance should be called "in-case-$hit".

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I only pay $5.99 per month for equipment protection each time I buy a phone. Is that the same as insurance?
    Yes, that is the insurance. Check your bill, it's $6.99 monthly.

supraz no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I thought the same thing about insurance until my t809 dropped from 3 feet up and exploded. Only had the phone six months when it happened. Did I have insurance? Nope. Did I wish I did? Yup did I get it on the 8100? You bet! That was the only time I ever needre insurance with all the phones ive owned. I recommend it. You never know what MIGHT happen

peguero no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID

Also dont forget you could CANCEL the insurance after a year. If you are calculating the price depreciation. And the overall cost over time of the insurance plan.

squished18 no está en línea Stack level 3

Has anybody ever actually made a claim with this type of insurance? In other words, has anyone actually ever lost/broken a phone and went back to the carrier to replace the phone under insurance? How quickly was the phone replaced? How much hassle did you have to go through with the carrier to get your replacement phone?

Quote Originally Posted by squished18
    Has anybody ever actually made a claim with this type of insurance? In other words, has anyone actually ever lost/broken a phone and went back to the carrier to replace the phone under insurance? How quickly was the phone replaced? How much hassle did you have to go through with the carrier to get your replacement phone?
    I made claims on my Sprint plan. The insurance covers breakage. On two phones I had, the Motorola Micro Tac, the hinges broke, so I made claims. Simply called 611, they transferred me. I said the phone hinges were broken, they charged the $25 deductible and FedExd new phones.

So yes, making a claim and getting a new phone is pretty easy.