I have had a lot of experience with electronics before, and I have been trying ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Firedragon64 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2576A7A6

Question Installing a New Screen

Advertisement

I have had a lot of experience with electronics before, and I have been trying to help my friend out the past few days with his BlackBerry 8100. I used to own one until I upgraded to the 8120, and they're both amazing phones.

The particular one that he has is kinda old, and has been through a lot of hands. Nonetheless it worked fine until a few days ago he said he smashed it in a door as it fell out of his hand. At first it worked just fine, until what I can guess about 15 minutes later, it reset with the red light coming on, and then never returned. Apparently once fully booted (despite the fact that the screen remains black) he can receive phone calls and texts, but the keyboard doesn't respond to allow him to answer the calls.

I disassembled the device I quickly found out that the screen was badly damaged, when looked at from the side it had a huge dent from where it was split in half by the door, strangely though, this did not actually crack the screen, just deemed it useless.

Now I come to you to ask which would be better to try, on Ebay there are screens that sell for about 25 dollars, and if we purchase one and install it, I don't want to find out that the keyboard is bad now too. I don't know how I would test the keyboard really, simply because if it can't answer a phone call when the screen is out then I figure that might be the keyboard as well, but maybe because the screen is out, the whole device is malufunctioning?

This is why I want to ask if anyone has had this happen, performed a screen reinstall, and how did it go? Was the screen being out the reason the keyboard couldn't answer calls? Has anyone got any advice on the matter? Because the 25 is much less than the 400 the device is actually worth, it's going to be something that we want to try, just to see if we can repair it, it's a sad thing to see such an amazing device fall to this fate especially since he's only had it for about 2 weeks.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    Ouch, that sucks. I believe the screen and the keyboard are not dependent on one another to have the other work. If the keyboard isn't working either you may be out of luck. Can you see any physical damage to the keyboard or the circuit board behind it?

Hope this helps a little. Also there are quite a few deals in the BBay forum for 8120s. If you have no luck getting it to work.

kennedy_84 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    302403B0
    i wouldn't trust ebay...i would go with http://cnn.cn/shop/blackberry-8100-c-200_329.html a bit more for the screen but less than $5 for a new keyboard, might as well install both to be sure....for $5 you cant really go wrong

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    I have had this happen to a BB curve. The keyboard almost almost acted like it wouldnt work without the screen. the minute I replaced the screen everything was running good again. that was just my case, I purchase all my parts from cnn.cn very good company just shipping is a long time

Firedragon64 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2576A7A6
    Thank you for the advice there, I wasn't sure if the keyboard was replaceable or not, I figure we'll see about the screen and if for some reason the keyboard doesn't work anymore we'll check out the deals here.