Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516 LastLast

It must be done through the PC, see the 1st page of this thread, it ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: Increase available memory on the pearl

Advertisement

It must be done through the PC, see the 1st page of this thread, it will tell you how.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

uhbreysiv no está en línea Stack level 2

This is like my third time reading it...
    It just doesnt compute in my head ya know...?
    I keep seeing go to application loader..or go to options..& i tried both :{
    & they all get put in boxes,little boxes all the same.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

It is tricky,

First you need to have the devices OS installed on your PC, in addition to the desktop manager. To see if you have both, on your PC go to control panel>add or remove programs......in that list, you should see 2 for Blackberry, one says desktop software, the other says device software. Check and see if you have both. If not then follow the instructions on the thread below to install it to your PC.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ere_found.html

once that is installed and running, you can go to C:>program files>common files>research in motion>shared>loader>8100 (the following numbers after the 8100 would be your OS and Platform version)>java

In the java folder you can find the preloaded pics, ringtones etc, they will be named similarly to the ones in the first post of this thread.......just be careful of what you remove, you can really mess up your bb if you remove the wrong things. Back up your BB first before you modify this. Also I recommend you create a folder on your desktop for any files you remove from the java folder that way you have easy access to them if you want to add them back. Also, I believe that modiying your device OS may void your warranty, not positive, but just wanted you to be aware that this may be the case.

If you have more questions, ask before proceeding.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

3CISS no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie_gauge View Post
    Keep bb mds runtime,

DoD root certificate is for the internet browser to get onto dept. of defense sites( such as goarmy.com, anything that is military in nature or government in nature, etc.) up to you on if you want to delte it

tty support is for relay service for the hard of hearing, or hearing impaired, so unless you would use it you can get rid of it.
    Actually, that is not correct. DoD root certs are simply browser certs for trusted and authenticated sites that use secure connections. Logging onto your bank website is an example. You do not want to delete these unless you don't visit any website where you'll be prompted to login using a secure connection.

Virex no está en línea Banned for Content theft
    PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    Quote Originally Posted by 3CISS View Post
    Actually, that is not correct. DoD root certs are simply browser certs for trusted and authenticated sites that use secure connections. Logging onto your bank website is an example. You do not want to delete these unless you don't visit any website where you'll be prompted to login using a secure connection.

actually DOD stands for dept of defense root certs. they are for viewing secure GOVT websites. they have nothing to do with ssl websites such as your bank. just wanted to clarify that.

javijavi no está en línea Stack level 3
    I noticed that when I go to install a new OS, there are dozens of checkboxes I can deselect to prevent their installation, such as language files, the brickbreaker game, google maps, etc etc. If I can deselect these through the GUI install, then why bother painstakingly deleting the modules from their installation folders? Are they being secretely installed anyway or something?

The only things I cant avoid during an OS install I suppose are the sample pics, video demo, etc etc. Regardless, having done an OS install and removing the items I dont want installed using the App Loader, I have a phone with 38megs free memory (and four 3rd party apps). That still leaves the video demo/ring tones/etc installed.
    Last edited by javijavi; 04-17-2008 at 10:41 AM.

grandma17609 no está en línea Stack level 1
    i am still struggling with the whole deleting the extra garbage via the apploader. i can't find those program files on my pc. thanks spammy.
    mimi the true texas hustler

They are buried in the install directory that the new OS makes on your computer when you download an updated OS. Basically you first have to install the blackberry OS on your COMPUTER, then the appload can see it and will intall it on your blackberry. So you need to go to the install directories on your computer and remove all those files mentioned. This is located under C:\program files/common files/research in motion/shared/loader files/whatever folder is here.

I found the easiest thing to do was to incorporate all those file suffixes into a search string, such as "_IT, _GB, _AC" or whatever they are. Let windows find them all at once and just delete them in droves.

Nicholaus no está en línea Stack level 3
    Javi, did you ever find out if deselecting the checkboxes did the same thing as deleting the files themselves?

Mostly. When I delect BB maps, BrickBreaker, and the other available one's they seem to be fully uninstalled from the phone as well. However the apploaded still puts the BB wallpapers and a few other misc things like that on there whether you want to or not. Following spamdumpsters instructions you WILL be able to remove all that stuff too. However he says his phone starts up with 43 megs of free memory and nine 3rd party apps. Mine starts up with around 34 megs of memory and 5 installed apps. Im pretty comfortable with this so I'm happy using the limited uninstall options of the apploader to clean my BB.

Yeah, i went through and deleted all of the extra pics and stuff and deselected the languages but i think it would free up some more memory if i actually delete them in the folder.

when searching for _IT, _GB, _AC, etc. and deleting the selected files, did the OS load and run on your bb?

I mean are there any files with the language extensions that you shouldn't delete?

tylerscott20 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Don't delete any files with the extension _en bcuz thats the english one

haha, yeah, of course

tylerscott20 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    yea lol that would be bad

danskim no está en línea Stack level 1
    thanks