Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi, Since upgrading to the 8100 from an older model that came with a plastic ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

sophospearl no está en línea Stack level 1

In holster feature

Advertisement

Hi,

Since upgrading to the 8100 from an older model that came with a plastic holster, I am wondering if you need to have a case for the 8100 in order for the "in holster" features to work, or does the unit consider itself "in holster" if its in your pocket? I like the idea of having different ring settings for email and phone and sms whether its in the holster or not, but will that work with the 8100 if its not in a case? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,

sp

nrwilk no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: In holster feature

Yes, you need a holster. It detects being in a holster from the magnets used to clasp the holster strap.

You could use standby mode instead, if you want. Just press and hold the silver button on the top of the 8100. You can still receive calls in standby mode. to exit standby mode, just tap the silver button once again.
    nrwilk

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

sophospearl, welcome to the stacks
    I use a holster I picked up @ tmo.
    the magnets put the pearl to sleep, if you just lock it you do run a a chance of calling 911 while it's in your pocket.
    standby mode works great also.
    while in the holster it will stay asleep, just make sure the magnets are near the keyboard end of the pearl.
    the best thing about the holster is it gives your pearl a safe place to rest, away from keys, change, lighter, etc
    yes diff ringtones and other notifications work while in the holster.
    hope this answers this round of questions. post back with others as they arrive.
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

Everyone, thanks for being so helpful so quickly! Much appreciated.

If I put the phone in Standby mode, does the phone react equivalent to being in a holster? The reason I ask, is when I am at work I keep the phone not connected to the USB hub, but I have access to email through my work computer, so I don't want to be notified about emails. But when the phone is in my pocket, I like to be notified about emails with a vibrate or chirp. If I put the phone in standby mode, does the phone think it is in the holster?

PIN/ID
    ask me

yup in standby it works the same ringtones pic. caller id
    you are good
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

PIN/ID
    ask me

not the exact same as holster, IE when you set up the phone to auto answer out of holster it will not work out of pocket unless you carry magnets in your pocket, and that would be weird! LOL

Kayos72, I am confused. If I put the phone in Standby mode, will it function like it is "in holster"? Or does it still function like it is out of holster in Standby mode? Is there any way to get the phone to function like it is in the holster without it actually being in a holster or having magnets in my pocket?

avante no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2405C4B1

Quote Originally Posted by sophospearl
    Kayos72, I am confused. If I put the phone in Standby mode, will it function like it is "in holster"? Or does it still function like it is out of holster in Standby mode? Is there any way to get the phone to function like it is in the holster without it actually being in a holster or having magnets in my pocket?
    I think what Kayos72 was saying is that when you have a holster you can set up an option where if your phone starts ringing as soon as you take it out of the holster it automatically answers the incoming call. It recognizes that it's not around magnets anymore and therefore picks up the call. All intents and purposes it'll work the same in standby mode in your pocket but you won't have the auto answer feature (since there aren't magnets in your pocket) Instead you'll have to hit the green button to answer the phone. I use standby and leave it in my front pocket. Does that help?

Avante, that helps. I guess there is no way to activate the "in holster" features unless its actually in a holster. I was hoping that if you put the phone in standby mode, it would think its in a holster.

Thanks,

sp

Einherjer no está en línea Stack level 5

Damn, i'll need to buy a "real" holster.

winzlo no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    208CE2E7

I know this thread is kind of old (01/2007), but if someone has a suggestion of an 8100 holster that does this properly but still allows for access to the phone (i.e. not a pouch, but a plastic clip like exists for the 8800's, 7520's, etc, where the phone faces inward to protect the screen.) I tried a "new" 8100 clip at www.blackberryking.com, which proved to be nothing more than a clip that i could get locally (no magnets, or if there were, the 8100 wouldn't recognize it as being holstered either placed in the clip facing inward OR outward.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

braveandcrazy no está en línea Stack level 3

Winzlo try this link: http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=526

This holster holds the phone facing inward against a foam pad to protect the screen. And yes it is sleeper function compatible.

winzlo no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    208CE2E7

Smile Re: In holster feature

Quote Originally Posted by Clouseau21
    That looks like it would fit the bill nicely. I just need to be able to foot the bill before I jump at case attempt #3 in under 3 weeks. I'll write back to confirm it solves the issue in this thread once I have it and see it for myself.

braveandcrazy no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by winzlo
    That looks like it would fit the bill nicely. I just need to be able to foot the bill before I jump at case attempt #3 in under 3 weeks. I'll write back to confirm it solves the issue in this thread once I have it and see it for myself.
    I have this holster and really like it. I like the fact that it on my hip (which is where I have always carried my phones) and I can get to it easily. It may be a little pricey, but it does what it says and does it very well. Looking forward to your evaluation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast