All, I've just recently bought my T-Mobile powered BB Pearl 8100. I'm very very happy ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

int2str no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Imap Idle

Advertisement

All,

I've just recently bought my T-Mobile powered BB Pearl 8100. I'm very very happy with the device and have been using it quite happily.

The main email account I'm using is my own IMAP4 account (as in, I'm my own ISP). It's working, including "mark as read" and "delete in mailbox".

Of course there is one caveat:
    Email delivery is taking too long. It looks like the BB web service only checks the account every 30 minutes or so? That can get frustrating.

So I googled around wildly and came across "IMAP IDLE". I went ahead and re-compiled / re-configured my IMAP4 server to support "ENHANCED IMAP IDLE" and re-setup my email account on the BlackBerry. However, it seems like the BB is not making use of "IMAP IDLE".

It's my understanding that for IMAP IDLE to work the client (in this case the gateway server) should be permanently connected, no? But I only see "LOGIN" immediately followed by "LOGOUT" when the service checks for new mails.

Is there anything I need to configure on the device to make IMAP IDLE work?

Thanks,
    Andre

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Imap Idle

If you're not using a BES server (or Gmail or Yahoo), you're using BIS which polls every 15 minutes. Even Gmail and Yahoo are not guaranteed to be quicker than 15 minutes (although they're supposed to be).

Are you sure it's taking 30 minutes, or does it just feel like that?
    JerryD

Ok, I checked the log. Looks like it checks about every 16 minutes - so you're right.

However, I thouht it would see that the server supports IMAP IDLE and use it, no?
    There's even a KB article that says to disable IMAP IDLE on the server if it causes problems...

So is this something that T-Mo needs to configure? Or RIM?

ElSean no está en línea Stack level 2

What in the log corresponds to a mail server check? And is it the ALT + LGLG log?

In the imapd log I can see LOGIN followed by a LOGOUT coming from a RIM owned IP.

Update:
    I just called RIM technical support. They have disabled IMAP IDLE for now since it caused too many problems with badly configured IMAP servers . They are looking into ways to test if a server is correctly configured now to then automatically enable IMAP IDLE.

But for now the answer is "no go".

ElSean no está en línea Stack level 2

That makes sense because when I first got my BB I swore it was almost instantaneous, then about 2 weeks ago, it slowed down to the 15 minute interval. Hopefully they get this worked out, I really liked the fast version.