Some of the commonly deleted items I have found on here seem to be locked ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

prrnrngr no está en línea Stack level 1

Im new here with a memory question

Advertisement

Some of the commonly deleted items I have found on here seem to be locked or unavailable?? I dont know if it is a new os but I think 4.2 is the standard stuff? I tried searching and have found plenty of answers as to how to clear unused languages, default videos, pictures etc. But it seems that on my phone these items are locked with little closed locks next to them, in the default media's case, or I cant even see them in the advanced options/applications area where I deleted my help from. I have gone into the modules area too but I don't see anything listed clearly enough for me to delete them. my phone is a tmobile 8100 bought about a week ago. I have read a little bit about some applications that I can put on the 8100 via desktop manager that might unlock these?? Any help would be appreciated.

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Re: Im new here with a memory question

Most of the preloaded stuff needs to be removed by editing the ALX file, which is literally removing peices of the software then reloading it onto the phone. This thread delves into it a little bit, but you want to be careful. You do run the possibility of bricking the phone. As far as other apps that are locked, which are you speaking of?

really just instant messaging, handango, facebook, and the default browser now that I am looking through the phone. I am not sure if any or all of these apps though play a big role in other functions. I currently use opera mini and the blackberry messenger all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by prrnrngr View Post
    really just instant messaging, handango, facebook, and the default browser now that I am looking through the phone. I am not sure if any or all of these apps though play a big role in other functions. I currently use opera mini and the blackberry messenger all the time.
    These need to be deleted by deleting the service book for them, which will not free up too much memory but will help. Go to menu, options, advanced options, service book. delete the IM service book, facebook service book etc.

As far as whether they play an important role? I would not delete the browser. IM, handango, facebook are expendable.

sorry I would normally PM you back and forth but I need 10 posts before that happens....most of the other deletes look like I need to be able to view the actual text of the os?? if so ill be happy with my 29-30 free mb and not touch the os

sorry I would normally PM you back and forth but I need 10 posts before that happens....most of the other deletes look like I need to be able to view the actual text of the os?? if so ill be happy with my 29-30 free mb and not touch the os
    29-30 MB is perfect available storage. Do you have a memory card? If so set the camera to save pics on the memory card by default ( camera, menu, options) and change the reserved picture memory and device memory limit as low as you can 0mb and 12mb respectively. ( menu, media, pictures, menu, options) If you do not have a memory card yet i would highly recommend one.

i have a 1 gig card in there right now setup to save pictures directly to it. i just adjusted the memory to the levels you show also. The defaults then all need to be dealt with on my home pc and then updating the blackberry? I haven't looked on my home comp yet but is there a new blackberry folder with these texts etc. in it after i installed desktop manager?

i have a 1 gig card in there right now setup to save pictures directly to it. i just adjusted the memory to the levels you show also. The defaults then all need to be dealt with on my home pc and then updating the blackberry? I haven't looked on my home comp yet but is there a new blackberry folder with these texts etc. in it after i installed desktop manager?
    If you are speaking of the alx file it is in the handheld software package. So you would download the DM, then download the handheld software you are using. Once on the pc you can get to the alx by going to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8100-v4.2.x.xxx\blackberry.alx. If you do decide to mod the alx make sure you save a copy of it in notepad so if something goes wrong you can paste it back in.

kfischer009 no está en línea Stack level 2

Will moving all media to an micro sd card make my 8130 faster? At what point do I have to worry about how much free memory I have?

BusyME no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31C7A695

Ohhhh! Don't PM! Your thread may help me . . . or somebody else in the future on a search.

Quote Originally Posted by kfischer009 View Post
    Will moving all media to an micro sd card make my 8130 faster? At what point do I have to worry about how much free memory I have?
    Generally i say not to let it get lower then 7-10 MB. It varies depending on what you have in the phone.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by BusyME View Post
    Ohhhh! Don't PM! Your thread may help me . . . or somebody else in the future on a search.
    Absolutely. That's how we all learn.
    Last edited by Eddie_gauge; 01-09-2008 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Automerged.