Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Not a problem. You got me curious here. It appears tht the following is the ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Re: I'm in the middle of nowhere... question??

Advertisement

Not a problem.

You got me curious here. It appears tht the following is the official standard for USB 2.0.

Voltage: 4.75 - 5.25 (Where 4.75 is the minimal for normal device function)
    Amperage: 500mA shared among all devices on the device chain

It also states that the transmission of data must be possible at voltages as low as 4.4 V but nocharging will occur.

Since the Wall Charger supplied with the BlackBerry puts out 1A, this explains why the USB port takes longer to charge. Max amperage out of the USB is 500mA if nothing else is plugged in.

On another interesting note, Seidio sells three different versions of its car adapter for the Pearl: one that puts out 800 mA, one that puts out 1A and one that puts out 1.25A marked as a quick charger. All are at or around 5V.

Just thought I'd pass along the info.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Cool info, but what about the USB 1 standard? Do you know off hand what the current ratings are, as I saw it stated that the devices will only charge off of USB2.0, but I don't know that I fully believe/trust that statement??

Also being able to charge from the USB can be dependent on the computer as well as some lappys and older desktops limit the current rating and voltage outputs in order to be more "green" friendly, hence the big need for USB 2.0.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

A quick google search turned up no significant differences in the current rating between USB 1 and USB 2.0. Obviously there is a bandwidth difference, but current seems similar.

USB Controllers can tell if a 1.0 or 2.0 device are connected. I'm not sure, but I think that the power saving functionality is different between the controllers and therefore, plugging in a device that's designed to charge of USB2.0 into a 1.0 controller won't trigger the controller to feed a large enough current to charge the device. Esentially, the controller stays in power saving mode where data transfer can occur, but no charging.

This is more of an educated guess than anything.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

synik103 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    OICU812

[quote=squeakr]Cool info, but what about the USB 1 standard? Do you know off hand what the current ratings are, as I saw it stated that the devices will only charge off of USB2.0, but I don't know that I fully believe/trust that statement??

Take it from me, I tried to charge my 8100 of the usb 1.0 from the hotel lobby pc, all I got was a message to the effect of "insufficent charging voltage, please check charger or batttery is installed properly" or something to that effect.

As far as the USB taking longer to charge? I dunno, I went from 30% to 95% in about 20 minutes once via usb. I haven't tried to do it again or put a stopwatch on it or anything like that, but I was impressed enough to remember.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Yeah but like I have said before different PC manufacturers are not abiding to the standards set forth by the industry. I have read numerous times where people are having USB problems and it usually turns out the PC maunfacturer was the one who put non-standard ports in there systems. They purposel put amperage filters and software limitations on the ports to make sure and not get a huge extra current draw on the system. Not to slam one manufacturer, but numerous people that seem to have problems with USB ports happen to a large part of the time have Dell's and Dell's proprietary software loaded. Dell is noted for underdriving their system just to make them quieter and this allows them to put smaller and less compliant power supplies in their systems (with smaller supplies they really have to watch what the draw on their supplies, so why not limit the current draw and make it compliant for data only as that is really only what it was designed for in the first place).

I just don't think that one example of it not working can be an indicative representation of the entire group. I was not challenging your findings, just wanted to know of if this was standard throughtout, and it looks like the power supplied by both standards is the same.
    Last edited by squeakr; 07-06-2007 at 09:41 AM.

synik103 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    OICU812

My apologies, you're right, one instance does not a standard make...

Falcondrgn no está en línea Stack level 2
    Does anyone know if a Motorola RAZR car charger would work with a blackberry 8700g? Thanks so much~!

Hack173 no está en línea banned
    PIN/ID
    249E4D70
    They both have the same charger so it should work.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12