Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm in the middle of nowhere and just me and a couple of friends a ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Ranz no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me!

I'm in the middle of nowhere... question??

Advertisement

I'm in the middle of nowhere and just me and a couple of friends a lap top, no usb cable, no bb car charger, just my friends infamous motorola slvr car charger, I don't want to chance it, but I thought i'd ask before doing so. Can I use his motorola charger for my bb? I don't want to zap my bb's battery. help........ I can't play pac man, only 1 bat bar left.

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re : I'm in the middle of nowhere... question??

As long as it is the same plug, no problem, I sell the same car charger for BB and Razr
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r

PIN/ID
    ask me!

Re: I'm in the middle of nowhere... question??

yeah it's a usb for the slvr. is there a difference in charging amps for a car charger.

PIN/ID
    ask me!

i'll give it a go.................Thnx sn1p3r! Back to the dirtbikes i go!

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

There is a difference but it has to do with the Moto phones. I have found that a Motorola car charger will work in a Moto, BB, HTC, etc.... but not the other way around for some reason. I keep the Moto chargers in stock and sell them for the other devices for that reason.

Zo

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

There can be a difference in the voltage output depending on the device requirement. I know that I read where some were using different chargers and the phones weren't fully charging as they were being underpowered, but al it did was not charge the battery fast enough so the phone didn't last as long (no other ill side effects). I do know that I have a standard mini-usb charger for my Garmin stuff that will not charge my friends Razr, as the Razr reports it is a non-approved charger connected on the main screen of the device. All of this said you should be fine.

PIN/ID
    ask me!

Thnx for the info Amigotek.

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re : I'm in the middle of nowhere... question??

squeakr, the main reason is that motorola likes to sell their charger overprice, so the crippled the device, 'cause all mini usb charge are 5V 1amp
    On a phone but can be different for a GPS
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r

PIN/ID
    ask me!

Thnx everyone.......... I also read it some where too, thats why i was leary with chargin it. I'm guessing that I Would have an issue if it was the home charger. I was told that it's the phone itself that regulates the amps . because at my friends house i would use his slvr's usb cord from his pc to charge my bb. it seem to be fine. or am i wrong!

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Not entirely true about the voltage output (there are some that put out different voltages but by USB standards set forth that should be the case, just not all follow them). I just checked and the Garmin charger puts out the same 5V and 1 amp, but it was not useable by the RAZR. There must be some regulation that the RAZR was looking for that the charger can't put out. In fact I just read today that these devices can only be charged using USB 2.0 from a computer but I know that I have charged using earlier standards, so how much is correct depends on where the info is coming from and how reputable the source is. This is my big complaint with wikipedia, in that any Joe off of the street can add to an article and since it is on wikipedia everyone takes it for the gospel. If I had a nickel for the stuff that I have read from there that is most definitely incorrect, I wouldn't be working right now. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to say that you are wrong, just that not always is the info we get fully correct. We live in a world full of asterisks. Heck if you really want to have fun and be confused at the same time, just call any one of the providers customer support and ask about help with your device. About 1 in 20 times you will get some one that actually knows what they are doing and not just reding from a scripted screen.
    Last edited by squeakr; 07-05-2007 at 07:14 PM.

PIN/ID
    ask me!

thanks squeakr, appreciate the info!

GotPearl? no está en línea Stack level 5

Yeah i think it takes longer to charge if you use one for a razr or slvr but it will charge it, the one made for the pearl will just charge it faster and it does no damage.

PIN/ID
    ask me!

Back from the desert! So my next question would be. from the pc any USB cord can charge a motorola BB or any device that has USB. question - does the pc or cell program regulate the amount of volts and amps through USB or are each device set to allow a certain amount of power to charge, does anyone know?

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

As with many things, the BB is most likely going to work fine on a variety of voltages.

From the PC through the USB cable is constant 5V and it is regulated via the computer. That never changes. Some ports put out more amperage but USB 2.0 standard is 1A.

Most likely, the BB will charge happily with no damage from something like 4-6V DC and from 0.8 - 1.2A. Don't take any of this as gospel, but there is always (yes... ALWAYS) a variance, especially from those wall wart chargers.

The legal need to put the warning on it is just that. If it's close, I doubt you'll do any damage. And the current is the more probable number. Don't go over 1A listed current.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

PIN/ID
    ask me!

i see. thank you! MJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast