Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Okay guys, I really need a hand or two here. This is about to drive ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Meh! no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me...

Im gonna loose it..

Advertisement

Okay guys, I really need a hand or two here. This is about to drive me crazy and without a quick easy resolution im going to soon be checking into BB Mental Hospital..ha

Alright I have a few problems with my brand new 8120 from TMO. I don't know where to start so if this turns into a disordered cluster, I would like to apologize now.

The first problem is that when I am home, it constantly switches between UMA and EDGE. The first, defective, 8120 I had would always stay connected to my home wifi if I was within range. I have the settings on "wifi preferred" but it still contantly switches between the two killing data and everything on my phone for 20 or so seconds while it switches. I am a heavy phone user, more heavy than for my own good, but I am really starting to be irritated with this!

Second problem, this one is the annoyance..It is like my phone has a memory leak or something. Under status it says I have 54132736 total bytes of memory..That's right though right? Well the kicker is that it appears there is some sort of a memory leak. Upon a fresh battery pull it will show I have like ~11000000 free bytes. A little later, about 30 minutes that drops to 10..And goes downhill from there progressively and within about 2 hours im sitting at 6(insert 0's) bytes of free space and phone starts lagging. My old pearl has more free space than this, and it didn't fluncuate. I realize I probably have more apps installed than average(Autolock, BBSmart Alarms, BB Maps, CBLauncher, Facebook, JiveTalk, MiuTunes, PinStack.com Launcher, BBSmart Shortcuts, BBSmartView, SoftReset, and Viigo). But when im not using something I close out of it and such but to me it STILL feels like a memory leak somewhere? What can I do about this other than throw my beloved berry off a cliff?

Third problem, Anytime I click a link to a website in a email or a txt or anywhere...If I am not at home half connected to wifi it says that the page cannot be loaded as it is a wifi link...But thats a bunch of junk. I have BIS too so..Ive tried playing with settings, but apparently their smarter than I. So what can I do when I am NOT half connected to wifi to get it to let me open www links?

On the flipside, I really love this device..These are just a few of the quirks and once ironed out it will be great. Sorry about this being a big long, pardon my use of better word choice, CF but I really need some help here..

Thanks a ton, in advance!

Meh!

thechadj no está en línea Stack level 4
    I can only help in offering a small bit of an explanation for your issue #2:

With all the 3rd party apps you have installed is probably the explanation for your "memory leak".
    when Miutunes was in beta testing i found that there was a substantial amount of memory "used" when listening to music for an extended period of time. Come to find out that this is how the program works. It claims some of the available memory while it is playing and then after a reset or a certain period of time the memory that it claimed is released back to show as free. This is a cycle that is constantly in play while using that program. Not too sure how some of the other programs that you have installed work as far as claiming the memory but this is a mild explanation to how some of it may be "used"

regards cHAd

here's a link from muitunes support about the memory usage:

http://www.simprit.com/community/vie...700d7d2a8d9fae
    P I N S T A C K E R F O R L I F E!

PIN/ID
    PM me...
    I just installed that MiuTunes yesterday though, and this has been ongoing since pretty much day 3 with phone? DOH...Im looking for a cliff..haha

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    What OS are you running on your 8120?

PIN/ID
    PM me...

mikemunoz no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2451368F
    Get a few Irish Car Bombs in ya........and you will not even care anymore........

Has the memory on that phone leaked BEFORE you added third party apps?

Start with the most simple solution and work from there.........I am thinking that your usage/exiting paths from 3rd party apps is the culprit........

Guinness makes the world all better.......

wembley99 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Meh! View Post

Third problem, Anytime I click a link to a website in a email or a txt or anywhere...If I am not at home half connected to wifi it says that the page cannot be loaded as it is a wifi link...But thats a bunch of junk. I have BIS too so..Ive tried playing with settings, but apparently their smarter than I. So what can I do when I am NOT half connected to wifi to get it to let me open www links?
    I've got same problem as this. Same phone, same OS. Same same same...

anyone any ideas?

DarkFox no está en línea Stack level 2
    When your at home could it be the router? I have the Tmobile linksys but Im not using it, Im still on my old WGU624 Netgear but Its been working great so I haven't switched. (and I dont' pass on free routers )

Try setting browser to T-zones when on Edge?

Have your tired it on Opera Mini?
    Last edited by DarkFox; 07-29-2008 at 10:52 AM.

PIN/ID
    PM me...
    I'm using a wireless router cable company provided. But my last defective 8120 would stay connected to wifi forever so I just don't understand. I dislike Opera personally... :-(

EDIT: My wireless router/cable modem is a MotorolaSBG900...
    Last edited by Meh!; 07-29-2008 at 04:24 PM.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Try this one, make sure you delete the vendor.xml file before you put it on your BB 8120, it never gave me any trouble and worked great for me and I had like 16 apps added including themes!

8120M_PBr4.3.0_rel162_PL2.6.0.52_A4.3.0.91_AT&T.ex e

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...F75-9mtdxYKHKg**
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meh! View Post

The first problem is that when I am home, it constantly switches between UMA and EDGE. The first, defective, 8120 I had would always stay connected to my home wifi if I was within range. I have the settings on "wifi preferred" but it still contantly switches between the two killing data and everything on my phone for 20 or so seconds while it switches. I am a heavy phone user, more heavy than for my own good, but I am really starting to be irritated with this!

Second problem, this one is the annoyance..It is like my phone has a memory leak or something. Under status it says I have 54132736 total bytes of memory..That's right though right? Well the kicker is that it appears there is some sort of a memory leak. Upon a fresh battery pull it will show I have like ~11000000 free bytes. A little later, about 30 minutes that drops to 10..And goes downhill from there progressively and within about 2 hours im sitting at 6(insert 0's) bytes of free space and phone starts lagging. My old pearl has more free space than this, and it didn't fluncuate. I realize I probably have more apps installed than average(Autolock, BBSmart Alarms, BB Maps, CBLauncher, Facebook, JiveTalk, MiuTunes, PinStack.com Launcher, BBSmart Shortcuts, BBSmartView, SoftReset, and Viigo). But when im not using something I close out of it and such but to me it STILL feels like a memory leak somewhere? What can I do about this other than throw my beloved berry off a cliff?

On the flipside, I really love this device..These are just a few of the quirks and once ironed out it will be great. Sorry about this being a big long, pardon my use of better word choice, CF but I really need some help here..

Thanks a ton, in advance!

Meh!

1. I had the same problem. I ended up having to get a new SIM card. Do you have the HotSpot at Home service?

2. Try clearing your browser's cache, cookies, and history by selecting these options in the browser.

Also, try clearing the Event Log by holding down the ALT key and pressing L G L G keys.

How long do you keep old messages and phone logs? Delete those.

Finally set up your device security options to have access to the Memory Cleaner.

3. I'm not familiar with that issue.

PIN/ID
    PM me...
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    1. I had the same problem. I ended up having to get a new SIM card. Do you have the HotSpot at Home service?

2. Try clearing your browser's cache, cookies, and history by selecting these options in the browser.

Also, try clearing the Event Log by holding down the ALT key and pressing L G L G keys.

How long do you keep old messages and phone logs? Delete those.

Finally set up your device security options to have access to the Memory Cleaner.

3. I'm not familiar with that issue.
    Well guys, thanks for the replies thus far...

1-The sim card is around a few weeks old and was the same one used in my previous faulty 8120?

2-I do that usually every 2-3 days and the memory cleaner is setup. I just did the event log tricky. I only keep SMS for a day or two and probably have approximately 40emails on the device?

And to the above mentioning reloading the OS, I really don't want to do that unless I have to, and if I do im probably gonna try a iteration of 4.5 anywho... I really hate to resort to that.

And guys, PLEASE keep the ideas coming, I am at whits end with this and I haven't had a chance to call TMO yet, but im speculating they MIGHT be able to help me with the EDGE UMA issue...Not sure though. Thanks so far guys! Appreciated.

PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    glad to help. . Hope we have helped you get it fixed.
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

My TORCH Rocks!

PIN/ID
    PM me...
    Quote Originally Posted by thbassman View Post
    glad to help. . Hope we have helped you get it fixed.
    I appreciate the help, but it is still all borked.

Any more thoughts? Thanks bassman...

Meh!

PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    I still say change the software-sounds like you got a buggy version with leaks, one of my eairlier pearls did too from att, after the UPGD it was 10xs better! Hope this helps . .
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

My TORCH Rocks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast