hello all, i'm new to the forum and have a question hopefully someone here can ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Madinat no está en línea Stack level 1

Question I'd like to use my unlocked phone on nextel's network

Advertisement

hello all, i'm new to the forum and have a question hopefully someone here can answer for me:

i have an unlocked pearl which i bought earlier in the year and have come across a GREAT sprint/nextel deal. the thing is in order to use a sprint/nextel plan i "have" to buy a sprint/nextel phone. i understand sprint operates under a cdma network in the states, but their nextel counterparts are GSM.

not being new to the world of cell phones, i've heard this before--usually they're either trying to scare me into buying one of their phones, or they misunderstood my question and believe my pearl is locked to a certain network, which is not the case

i've done some googling and come across some other forums that say the nextel service DOES use a sim card, BUT it's an iDEN sim card. can someone explain this to me? i thought all sims were created equal, thus being the point? i'm currently using a prepaid service in the caribbean (b-mobile) with no issues, i've also used this phone with t-mobile in the US and cingular/at&t prepaid, so why when it comes to nextel are they suddenly too special for me to be able to use their card in my phone?

can anyone please help/clarify? i'd really appreciate it--i just wanna understand what's going on here.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: I'd like to use my unlocked phone on nextel's network

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ The Pearl does not have push to talk on it. Nextel uses iDEN.

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

It's a matter of the phones actuall radio hardware not being compatible. Sprint and Verizon are interchangeable with each other, both run CMDA technology. As are AT&T and T-Mobile, both are GSM. but Nextel is an island to itself using the outdated IDEN network. If you're looking for push to talk, I think everyone else has their own little version, but none even compare to the number of PTT users that Nextel has. But rest assured, the IDEN network will go under soon enough, just be happy your on the cutting edge of technology, rather than the tailing end.

Madinat no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ The Pearl does not have push to talk on it. Nextel uses iDEN.
    there's actually a thread on this forum somewhere about someone using their pearl on cingular's push to talk network, but as the guy who replied after you said, it's probably b/c they're all using different technology.

so it looks like there's no keeping my phone if i switch to nextel~their phones are so, um, unattractive lol.

thanks for all the replies!