I have a generic holster from walmart. Plain black with a quick snap release. Really ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

j llama no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    4U2ASKME

i want to build a magnetic holster...

Advertisement

I have a generic holster from walmart. Plain black with a quick snap release. Really cool looking. Just no magnet. It was $10. I mean come on. I don't really like all the other holsters out right now. I've found postings that said with a powerful magnet and a rubber band you can make your bb sleep. I want to find a magnet I can "attach" somehow so I can put my pearl to sleep. Any help would be great (where 2 find magnet, what type of magnet works, etc)
    Thanks in advance and any ideas on a homemade sleepbig holster would be great

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    i dont think you would want to use a powerful magnet. i recall hearing they weak magnets.

seattym no está en línea Stack level 1
    I was in the same boat a few weeks ago, and here is what I did.

A case I had for my old phone was the kind that had a magnetic clasp. The magnet was stiched into the lining, so I ripped open this case and got the magnet out. I left the felt material that covered the magnet alone. I waived the magnet around the 8100 and found that the magnetic field has to be near the lower 3rd of the 8100 to activate the 'holtser' mode.

I then got a similar case that fit the 8100 very nicely for $6 (street vendor in NYC). With this case, I carefully pulled the lining apart and inserted the magnet at about the location that would put the 8100 to sleep. I used a tiny bit of hot glue to secure the magnet in place and to reattach the lining. This worked fine. For $6 and about 15 minutes of work, I had a case that was pretty inconspicuous - wasn't the best looking case, but very functional.

A few weeks later I got an OEM case for the 8100. This one looks better, but I like the way that my customized case worked. So I go between the 2 depending on the occasion.

~BLACK ICE~ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23e224ba
    thanks for the tip. i have a magnetic holder myself and didnt notice the phone turned off with the magnet. now that i am playing with the phone and the magnet... it turns off in the area of the 8100, from number 8 and down to where it says t-mobile.

jailbaitryan no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E3AA4A
    And wouldn't it like stick to keys and dog chains and stuff...
    That would be awesome!
    When does this magnetic holster come out?
    And how much is it?

jahf no está en línea Stack level 2
    anyone have a link that shows where the sleep spot would be?

DonM no está en línea Stack level 1
    I'm pretty sure the area is around the 2 contacts on the back of the phone. I superglued a small magnet onto the outside of my holster and it works great. I just kept trying weak magnets until I found one strong enough to work. Btw it increased battery life a lot.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~