Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hey RoGro: I don't know if you'll get this right away, I haven't been replying ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

green_light no está en línea Stack level 3

Advertisement

Hey RoGro: I don't know if you'll get this right away, I haven't been replying for a while, I've been extremely busy with work and was out of town for the weekend. I'm now trying to upgrade the OS on my girlfriend's 8100. I've started with completely removing everything BlackBerry and RIM from my PC. I started out with DM 4.6, went to 4.7, now I'm back trying to install 4.6 again. Your above posts indicate this directory: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion

I'm wondering if I haven't been installing something (either DM, or the device software) in the correct directory. While installing, DM comes up with C:\Program Files (x86)\ as the directory to put the Research in Motion folder. Should I change it to C:\Program Files directory? Even when I hook up this other 8100 to my PC, DM still does not acknowledge that there is an OS upgrade available for it, when there is clearly one installed on my PC. What do you think?

thanks.

alryder no está en línea Stack level 3
    I had an awful time getting DM or the Application Loader to work on Vista 64 bit. I got it working for a little while after playing with compatibility settings but it stopped working and I've never got it going again. Under 64 bit Vista the install folder will be C:\Program Files (x86)\Research in Motion and the Application Loader (loader.exe) will be found under C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research in Motion\Apploader.
    I'm not going to be much help beyond that.
    Good luck!

Well I appreciate the reply. that answers at least a couple questions. I just wish I knew what I was doing wrong. I used to be able to do this in my sleep (almost). After a while of not needing an upgrade, I guess I got a little rusty at it.

Does anybody know by chance, if we can control where the device software loads onto the hard drive? Once it installs, I can never find it, and when I go searching in the Application Loader for anything pertaining to the OS I just installed, I can never find it.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    You can always choose where the OS downloads on your system. Once it is downloaded and installed you should find it in c/program files/comman files/ research in motion. I am about to read back over the thread and see what you have going on and hopefully come up with an idea.

That would be an awesome help. I don't know where I've gone wrong...I almost think it's a Windows problem since 1) for some reason it won't let me delete the vendor.xml file and 2) it just won't recognize that there's a newer OS installed on the PC.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Try uninstalling all things RIM. DM as well as the new OS. Reboot and reinstall it all but go with DM 4.7. Once they are all loaded disconnect from the Internet and go to app loader and try to update your OS.

Is 4.7 more stable now? I figured my problem was because of 4.7, since I had 4.6 for so long. Would installing the media manager version have anything to do with something not working right?

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I use the full version media and all with no issues. The last release of 4.7 is much better than the original. I think part of the issue maybe from left over junk from previous installs...Make sense?
    Last edited by moderncowboy; 08-25-2009 at 12:08 AM.

Yeah, that makes sense. Everytime I've uninstalled DM I've done it the correct way, by removing it from Programs & Features, then the Registry, and anything on the hard drive associated with RIM or BlackBerry. Where could I find the most recent release of DM 4.7?

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    You can get it here.

Sweet. Do you recommend rebooting before or after I install this version of DM? Also this is probably a dumb question but since I never installed the 4.5.0.162 OS, should I delete it and redownload?

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I ALWAYS reboot after uninstalling anything and in most cases after reinstalling as well. If you never installed the .162 I would just install it after reinstalling DM. Shouldn't be any need to delete and re-download.

Great...I'm downloading now, about 13 minutes left.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I'm up for a little while lets see if we can get this fixed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast