Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well, the Pearl is advertised at Verizon more so than the 8830, and whenever I ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Dustin_D no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: I have two choices - 8830 or 8130

Advertisement

Well, the Pearl is advertised at Verizon more so than the 8830, and whenever I go in, the sales rep tries to push the Pearl or Q on me, but not the 8830, weird.

To be completely honest, I like the feel of the 8830 in my hands more, and it doesn't seem that large to me, but the Pearl's size is just easier to handle, especially if I am not wearing a jacket (I usually keep my phone in my jacket pocket).

Does the 8830 have anything that the Pearl doesn't have? Besides the physical aesthetics like a larger screen and full qwerty? Or do they both have the exact same programs?

I am a guy and wear pants with fairly large pockets, but nothing baggy, so will it be hard to sit down with the 8830 in my pocket? Because I really dislike belt clips.

Thanks for all of your help!

EDIT: I just read this in a review, can an owner confirm this or disprove it?

"Of course, many users will wish the 8830 didn't inherit the keyboard from its predecessor. While the keyboard is useful for typing complete emails it's hardly a joy to use. Unlike some other BlackBerry smartphones that have firm keys with clear separation, the keys on the 8830 (like the 8800) are "squishy" and are so close together that I often found myself pressing multiple keys while trying to press a single key."
    Last edited by Dustin_D; 12-02-2007 at 01:23 PM.

LPTruth no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin_D View Post

EDIT: I just read this in a review, can an owner confirm this or disprove it?

"Of course, many users will wish the 8830 didn't inherit the keyboard from its predecessor. While the keyboard is useful for typing complete emails it's hardly a joy to use. Unlike some other BlackBerry smartphones that have firm keys with clear separation, the keys on the 8830 (like the 8800) are "squishy" and are so close together that I often found myself pressing multiple keys while trying to press a single key."
    Confirmed. I had the 8830 for a several months before getting the new Pearl. The keys are extremely close together, nothing at all like the New Curve. The Curve keys are perfect in my opinion. The 8830 keys are very much like the keys on the Pearl as far as how close together they are. I loved the 8830, but the Pearl is more useful for me.

The new Pearl has more options and functionality than the 8830 in my opinion. Camera, video, external door for memory, 3.5mm headphone jack, the ability to view Youtube mobile (not sure if the 8830 can do that now or not, but it couldn't when I had it), smaller, lighter and honestly, the smaller screen is a complete non issue for me and it fits very comfortably in my pocket even when sitting. I had to take the 8830 out of my pocket every time I sat.

I've said it before, I've gone from 8830 QWERTY to the Pearl's suretype and even though the suretype can be a pain, I prefer the Pearl. If for no other reason, the camera and video camera really come in handy for me at times. I do a seriously large amount of texting and BBMing and the suretype is faster once you get the hang of it and it learns how you speak/type. I am a very proficient typist so I'm not saying that from a 2 finger typer perspective.

See for yourself the difference in buttons

New Pearl

New Curve

Old 8830

The 8830 has slightly raised edges to help you determine that you're not actually hitting the button next to it! The Curve has a nice and obvious amount of room between buttons!
    Last edited by LPTruth; 12-02-2007 at 02:37 PM.
    www.BlackLightThemes.com
    Free Ringtones, Wallpapers and Themes
    www.BBIconStore.com
    Make your new theme Pop with new Icons

cwadams70 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319E8B43

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Iown and love the 8830 keyboard. Owned a pearl and hated the keyboard. If texting a lot, the keyboard on the 8830 is what you need. Pearl owners will say the same about their keyboards. Get one or the other, give it a 30 day test run since it is Verizon and if you don't like it, get the other. Enjoy.

Dustin_D no está en línea Stack level 2

I think I will get the Pearl 8130 first, and if I like it, keep it.

I went to Verizon with my mom today, and she also liked the Pearl better, and the only upside of the 8830 World would be that I can call next year when I am doing my study abroad in England, but that's about it. The keypad on the 8830 felt a little squished, and the pearl did too, but not as much, as the keys were bigger.

We then went to the AT&T store, and tried the Curve, but I still like the weight, size, and look of the Pearl.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12