Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I will be getting a BB from Verizon soon, and have the choice between a ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Dustin_D no está en línea Stack level 2

I have two choices - 8830 or 8130

Advertisement

I will be getting a BB from Verizon soon, and have the choice between a Pearl and an 8830 World Edition.

The price difference is only $49.99, so it doesn't really matter how much it costs.

What I will be using the phone for is (in order of importance):

• Calendar reminders for appointments - as a planner
    • Text Messaging
    • Web Browsing
    • Games in class
    The games in class is only for my classes where I am done with work, don't worry! But I am going to use the BB for mostly putting in due dates for homework, reminders, and things I need to remember, because I am very forgetful, and never use my regular planner.

I text a LOT, so I do not know if the sure type or qwerty will be better for this, because I text on average around 150-200 messages a day, because there are a lot of people I keep in contact with.

I would like to be able to quickly look something up wherever I am, and to be able to read the news and things on the web-browser.

I e-mail only some-time, to my teachers and girlfriend, but that is about it, and I also get daily reminders from NY Times and such.

Thanks in advance for your help.

brooke03 no está en línea Stack level 6

Re: I have two choices - 8830 or 8130

8830. easy
    /~*brooke

Ranz no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me!

wow thats alot of texting.......................get both!

Natasha no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ASK NICE

I'd go with the 8130... it has a camara.

You might think that you don't need a camara until one of your peeps asks you to play picture tag... lol.
    **TASH*

“Establishing lasting peace is the work of education; all politics can do is keep us out of war.”
    Maria Montessori <----- A very smart lady.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

I would have to agree with the 8830 just because of the heavy texting. Both BB's will do all the same things from your list, so now you just need to take a look at the keyboard of each.

Well, I don't use the camera on my phone that often, and don't think I will miss it too much...but it's always nice to have when something funny happens!

I really wish Verizon carried the Curve, to get the best of both worlds.

I do not like the Q9 they have though, something about it turns me off, while the BB looks very nice, and seems to have a nice and easy to use UI and seems to also have great functionality.

jbert no está en línea Stack level 1

As long as you are not heavily into MMS messenging, I would go with the 8830 BC of all the texting.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

LPTruth no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me

I had the 8830 and switched to the 8130. I text heavily as well, more business lately than pleasure, but I would suggest the 8130.

The 8830 QWERTY pad is very nice I admit, and using suretype does take some getting use to but in the end, it's faster. Once it learns you and once you learn it, you'll be happier!

The weight of the 8830 compared to the 8130 alone is worth the swap in my opinion as well as the minimal size of the 8130.

I really thought I wouldn't like the 8130 and it took me a few days to finally realize that I made the right choice. Now that I've had it for a few weeks (even though its bugged and I'm getting a new one) I wouldn't go back nor would I get the Curve! I love the Curve, and it's what I originally wanted! I swapped my 8130 with a friends Curve for an afternoon of BBMing between the two of us (business buddy) and he's now swapping his Curve for a 8130 and I realized how much I love mine!

My choice, 8130 hands down. Camera or not, the 8130 is where it's at!
    www.BlackLightThemes.com
    Free Ringtones, Wallpapers and Themes
    www.BBIconStore.com
    Make your new theme Pop with new Icons

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me

be carefull on the verizon blackberrys with texting if you send out long texts. (your only allowed 160 characters per message) then it cuts you off. but all in all id go with the 8130. the 8830 is a brick. a beautiful brick. but a brick

challigan23 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242E2B51

Go with the Pearl. I love the sure type, rather than the full qwerty keyboard.

LPTruth no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me

Quote Originally Posted by NICKY88XX View Post
    be carefull on the verizon blackberrys with texting if you send out long texts. (your only allowed 160 characters per message) then it cuts you off. but all in all id go with the 8130. the 8830 is a brick. a beautiful brick. but a brick
    True that Nicky, above all other things that is what my daughter complains about the most. This is another reason I'm considering getting her a blackberry. She has the ENV right now and loves it, but she's a texter! Her friends have been talking about getting BB's and I think once they commit to it I'll get her a Pearl. BBMing over traditional texting any day!
    www.BlackLightThemes.com
    Free Ringtones, Wallpapers and Themes
    www.BBIconStore.com
    Make your new theme Pop with new Icons

Wow, it seems that the general consensus here is that the Pearl leaves the 8830 in the dust...

I'll have to play around on the Pearl some more to see if I can get used to the Sure Type thing, and I currently have a 160 character limit and do fine, so it should be ok!

PDAsh no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    243BBC5A

I'd say get the 8830 if you're texting a lot.
    The small keyboards are not as accurate.

woodi68 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    woodi68

I had SureType on my 7130 and liked it well enough, but I have really enjoyed the 8830. Every time I've touched a Pearl I thought they were too small for me to really do much with. I would think the screen would be easier to read on the 8830 only because it's slightly larger.

8830 fits perfectly for me. (And it's not a brick)

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

I have both & prefer the 88xx series due to the much larger display, longer battery life and fast keyboard. Based on your described usage I would not hesitate to endorse the 8830. While the Pearls size is smaller, I believe that you would be very disappointed with the smaller display.

~via BB 8310 Curve(wap.pinstack.com)~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast