Well my pearl should be arriving tommorow, and I cant wait! I think ive read ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

AJ Muni no está en línea Stack level 2

I can't wait!

Advertisement

Well my pearl should be arriving tommorow, and I cant wait! I think ive read all reviews online, good and bad, and I just got a few questions:

1)is the keyboard that bad? I'm coming from a nokia 6630 and texting was, you kno normal, 3 letters per number. seems normal to me

2)Can u have speaker on while you are dialing? or do u have to wait for some1 to pick up and then put speaker on?

3)Are their verbal alerts? i.e. a voice saying "you have voicemail"

4)Is it hard adding my own mp3's to the pearl? Im using a mac so im guessin thr software wont be compatible. My best bet was to transfer it thru blue tooth.

5) Alot of people are complaing about the camera..again is it that bad?

Thanx ahead guys!! I'm just so anxious i cant wait til tomm!

werleycl no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    3009CCB2

Re: I can't wait!

I have a 7250 and use it with my mac. Unless someone knows about some third party software that allows that I am only able to update the calender and contacts / no loading of software or broadband tethered internet support. Good luck with the new BB...been thinking of upgrading myself.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Keyboard is great, although small. You can turn the speaker on only after you've hit the talk button. No verbal alerts that I know of. Camera is awesome, although a little hard to control while zoomed. It's easy to add mp3's

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Muni
    Well my pearl should be arriving tomorrow, and I cant wait! I think Ive read all reviews online, good and bad, and I just got a few questions:!
    I'll answer them

1)is the keyboard that bad? I'm coming from a nokia 6630 and texting was, you know normal, 3 letters per number. seems normal to me.

No, the keyboard is perfect. The only people who do not like the keyboard are those used to a full qwerty layout. [a valid complaint if that is one's preference.]

Also, people who e-mail long e-mail messages, many times a day, prefer keys that are easier to click.

The remainder of people who complain are big guys with big hands, those with poor eyesight and other ailments. But they can't make a keyboard to address all these complaints and preferences.

E.g., if a BIG keyboard or a full QWERTY layout is preferred, then the Pearl is NOT the BB for that user.

For me, getting e-mails is more important than sending long replies. So the size of the 8100 trumped having a full QWERTY keyboard.

2)Can u have speaker on while you are dialing? or do u have to wait for some1 to pick up and then put speaker on?

You can put it on speaker phone AFTER you press the "dial" key. That means you can hear the phone ringing on the other end. You cannot press speaker phone and then dial the number.

3)Are their verbal alerts? i.e. a voice saying "you have voice-mail"

Yes, see thread on e-mail notification and tones. I put up some tones for you all to download on to your 8100. Like I said on my other post, I have that "Yahoooooooooooooo" sound [from the commercials] to sound off when I get mail into my Yahoo mailbox. I have another notification sound to alert me when I get mail into my AT&T account, and yet another sound for mail going directly to the T-Mo BlackBerry account.

For those who have AOL mail accounts I also posted that "You've Got Mail" voice.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...notifiers.html

4)Is it hard adding my own mp3's to the pearl? I'm using a mac so I'm guessing the software wont be compatible. My best bet was to transfer it through blue tooth.

Not hard at all as long as the tunes are in MP3 format. Get yourself a MicroSD chip [not MiniSD] so you can put large video and music files on to it.

But to get started, the 8100 has on board memory where you can transfer MP3 into the <music> folder. It's simply a matter of installing the desktop manager [included in the box], hooking up your 8100 to the desktop with the included USB cable, then transferring your MP3 files from the desktop into the Pearl music folder.

Note: on Oct 6 RIM will start selling headphones, headset combo device for the 8100. It will go for $30. Best to buy the headset from them so to avoid compatibility problems.

http://www.shopblackberry.com/_black...tegory=Headset

5) A lot of people are complaining about the camera..again is it that bad?

Are you sure "a lot of people are complaining about the camera?"

That's total BS if anyone is complaining about the camera. See the thread that I started for posting pics with the 8100. They are very good pics for a cell phone camera. I know, I have had digital cameras since they first came out and have had about 100 different models.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...our_pearl.html

Yes, they are a little washed out at times [meaning the color is "faded" or not rich and deep]. But see where I edited those in 60 seconds.

Some people think the camera should work as well as those 3.2 megapixel ++ standalone digitals and/or that the camera does not take video. IMHO, those expectations indicate flawed thinking. Those people are mental slobs who don't understand engineering and economics. Those are the same types who think police should always just shoot the gun out of a suspect's hand.

The fact is, cramming a decent camera into a little $200 phone [upgrade price] is a feat in itself, especially when trying to keep the price down.

It is just not possible to cram a high tech, 5 megapixel camera into the physical space designated on the 8100 for a camera.

Nor is it possible to keep the price down and include complicated features such as the ability to adjust the camera lens [e.g. macro, optical zoom], lighting, tones, special effects, etc.

Last edited by sanfrancisco; 10-02-2006 at 12:41 AM.

blbeach no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask me

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ you can save speach, such as "you have mail" or anything all from this link. http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php#top - just save the file on the bb and use it as an alert.

HTTmd no está en línea Stack level 1

My answers.

1)is the keyboard that bad? I'm coming from a nokia 6630 and texting was, you know normal, 3 letters per number. seems normal to me.

I'm coming from a similar situation: I've never had a Blackberry before, and I was used to 3 letters per key. I think the keyboard is just fine, though it is worthwhile to enter your own SartType "autotext."

Nope.

3)Are their verbal alerts? i.e. a voice saying "you have voice-mail"

Yep. Once you've added your own mp3's see below), you can designate any of them for any of the 20-or-so notifications.

4)Is it hard adding my own mp3's to the pearl? I'm using a mac so I'm guessing the software wont be compatible. My best bet was to transfer it through blue tooth.

I only use the (Windows) desktop manager for syncing calendar and contacts. For media files, I simply use "Mass Storage Mode," which makes the Blackberry microSD a flash-drive. Simply drag and drop... even from a Mac.

5) A lot of people are complaining about the camera..again is it that bad?

I've yet to see a camera phone come even close to a middle-of-the-road digital camera. This one is no exception. The colors are a little washed out, even in daylight. The flash is minimal. But, really, I didn't expect any more.

Overall, I love this phone. It's small; people always want to look at it; and I've barely looked at my email on my desktop since I've gotten it. Enjoy your phone!

HTT

AJ Muni no está en línea Stack level 2

wow thank you so much sanfrancisco and blbeach for all your help and informaiton. Now i realllllllly cant wait! sad to say that my shipment got delayed and now it says it should be delivered by the 2nd. O well, more research! thanx guys... Also how good is berry 411? so it pretty much replaces calling 411?? And also google maps..if i want to get directions, say to a restaurant..itll telll me "make a right here, then a left there etc etc" ???

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Muni
    wow thank you so much sanfrancisco and blbeach for all your help and informaiton. Now i realllllllly cant wait! sad to say that my shipment got delayed and now it says it should be delivered by the 2nd. O well, more research! thanx guys... Also how good is berry 411? so it pretty much replaces calling 411?? And also google maps..if i want to get directions, say to a restaurant..itll telll me "make a right here, then a left there etc etc" ???
    Sorry, I tire of this. Going out on a motrocycle ride to a girl's house.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

HTTmd, Welcome to PinStack.

Thanks for the information.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles