Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Many posts have complained about SureType, not getting used to it, etc. Guess it's time ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Lightbulb How To Like SureType

Advertisement

Many posts have complained about SureType, not getting used to it, etc.
    Guess it's time for a repost.

The best path to NOT liking SureType is to look at the screen as you type. DON'T LOOK AT THE LETTERS BEING TYPED WHILE IN SURETYPE MODE!

SureType does NOT recognize words until enough letters have been typed. Sometimes this means you will type five or more letters and see gibberish on the screen.

Having used a keyboard and word processor for years, it's natural instinct
    to backspace when you see errors on the screen so to correct your typing as you go or "on the fly."

With SureType it's counter intuitive to see errors in typing and to NOT immediately backspace to correct them.

But effectively using SureType requires that you NOT look at the screen and let SureType work it's magic. 99.9% of the time SureType will get the words correct.

So when typing, practice and discipline yourself to NOT look at the display. Type your e-mail. When done, go back and proofread for errors. With trackball navigation it is easy to highlight words or letters and to make corrections.

Also, don't forget that SureType allows you to add words to the custom dictionary such as special terms and names. This is handy so that SureType will recognize the spellings from then on.

Bonus Tip: Bored when sitting on the toilet or waiting at the Homeland Security Detention Cell at the airport? Do something productive. Open your Pearl's settings menu, then open "custom word list" and add words to it. Note: before typing your entries, turn SureType OFF by pressing and holding down the <*/sym> key which will toggle "multi tap" mode to "on." If you don't do this, SureType will confuse matters.
    Last edited by sanfrancisco; 10-26-2006 at 04:24 PM.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Re: How To Like SureType

Well put

love the airport idea

YMark no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by sanfrancisco
    The best path to NOT liking SureType is to look at the screen as you type. DON'T LOOK AT THE LETTERS BEING TYPED WHILE IN SURETYPE MODE!
    Your whole post is great, but the above is what allowed my experience to go from "frustration" to "happy". I'm really enjoying SureType.

walds11 no está en línea Stack level 4

Well said!!! I love suretype!

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Another good tips on learning SureType... Put a Post It on your BB screen and use it like any other qwerty device
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r

5ive no está en línea Stack level 2

Good way of putting it, this is exactly what i do when I'm using SureType. A lotttt easier

mrdeeno no está en línea Stack level 3

i actually like to type without looking at the keys (it was easier with the 7130 because the key spacing was much better).

Another tip, i know a lot of you do it, but when you type messages and it DOES go through wrong, and you don't correct it, it's now part of your word list.

every once in awhile, go into the word list and delete the 'junk' words that the device sometimes picks up, otherwise, next time you type in the same words and keystrokes, it'll predict the 'junk' word.

djmack no está en línea Stack level 2

Good post but its definetley not 99.9 percent accurate

ImBrocks3 no está en línea Stack level 2

I wish I would have read this my first weekend. I looked at the screen and almost threw it out...the key is not to look. How do you throw out the "junk" words?

Quote Originally Posted by ImBrocks3
    I wish I would have read this my first weekend. I looked at the screen and almost threw it out...the key is not to look. How do you throw out the "junk" words?
    go to options,

then custom word list,

then delete or correct the crap words (highlight the word, then press the del button).

When i'm messaging my friends, when i misspell something, i just keep going and send it with the misspelled words since my friends will understand. But now i realize that these misspelled "crap" words end up in my custom list, and when i go to spell something with similar letters, it ends up predicting with crap.

The only thing I wish it did better was predict the words before you type all the letters. My previous razr had this feature called itap or something. For example, if my name was in the word list (mrdeeno), when i start to type M, then R, then D, it will show MRDEENO as one of the word choices, and I can select it without completing the typing. I can also continue typing and if any of the other letters differ from the word in the word list, it then goes back to its library or the custom word list to predict other words.

i guess it was more important with that phone since it was regular 3-letters per number, making it much more difficult to predict words.

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    3G

Ditto...SureType is really great when you let it work!

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

I understood that SureType does that. Once entered on a custom list, when you start to type the first few letters, it recognizes the custom word and gives you the choice to insert it.

But I don't think there's a way to make it automatically insert it. It will simply give it as one of the choices. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdeeno
    go to options,

then custom word list,

then delete or correct the crap words (highlight the word, then press the del button).

When I'm messaging my friends, when i misspell something, i just keep going and send it with the misspelled words since my friends will understand. But now i realize that these misspelled "crap" words end up in my custom list, and when i go to spell something with similar letters, it ends up predicting with crap.

The only thing I wish it did better was predict the words before you type all the letters. My previous Razr had this feature called itap or something. For example, if my name was in the word list (mrdeeno), when i start to type M, then R, then D, it will show MRDEENO as one of the word choices, and I can select it without completing the typing. I can also continue typing and if any of the other letters differ from the word in the word list, it then goes back to its library or the custom word list to predict other words.

i guess it was more important with that phone since it was regular 3-letters per number, making it much more difficult to predict words.

if it does it, it doesn't do it as well as my RAZR did.

when it gives me choices, it will only give choices with the same number of letters that i already typed, not the complete word. for example, when i type a word that is in my custom word list, such as "mrdeeno", after i type type the "mrde" it will give me choices such as mrde, medr, mede, etc. etc. etc.

with my razr, as soon as I type "mrde", it would give me "mrdeeno" as one of the choices, and the "eno" part would be highlighted because that's the part its predicting.
    So after typing only 3 letters, i can select my entire name as a choice.

jai.patel no está en línea Stack level 1

I find with the pearl, a lot of times when I type stuff the Suretype does not pick up on the word. In fact it "guess" words that I am trying to spell that dont even exist in the english language. For instance, i was trying to write dress code, and the phone didnt even come close to getting those two words correct. It made up words that didnt even exist. And I find at times, when I spell simple small words, it will put all these funky accents on top of the word as if im trying to spell something in some foreign language....

anyone have any ideas to help me out???

jlambeth1 no está en línea Stack level 2

I agree completely. I also was frustrated watching the misspelled words go across my screen. Then I learned to ignore the screen until I was done typing and magically, the vast majority of the time, all my words were spelled right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast