Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi Guys, I have just gotten a brand new Pearl 8120. I am currently not ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

motobiker no está en línea Stack level 1

How to get WIFI to work on Pearl 8120

Advertisement

Hi Guys,

I have just gotten a brand new Pearl 8120. I am currently not subscribed to the Blackberry Data Plan yet. However, from what I understand, the WIFI should work fine without it. When i try to connect to any of the hotspots(example: wireless@sg) or even my own wireless modem, I can established the connection but I am not able to get the browser to work. All the sites I request to be link to always timeout somehow. I am not able to get the yahoo messager to work too. It prompts me that "the service is not enabled for this handheld"....

However, I can get the browser to work when on GPRS/WAP connection.

Anyone knows how to solve the above problem? This is my first blackberry..very impressed by it...just hope that I can get the WIFI to work soon. Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

benritmeyer no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

Re: How to get WIFI to work on Pearl 8120

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~the only issue is I think you may have to be connected to the data plan to receive the service books. I have the 8120 and it works fine but I'm on the data plan!! Have you tried on a personal wifi router at yours or someones house?

shayind4 no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    You will need the relevant service books from carrier ( on data plan) for wifi to work, and to make UMA phone calls. Carriers make money this way. Wifi-enabled PDAs connect to routers directly (no service books needed). Using browser +gprs or wap will incur network charges.We need to find a way of getting service books without buying data plan. Good luck.

PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~the only issue is I think you may have to be connected to the data plan to receive the service books. I have the 8120 and it works fine but I'm on the data plan!! Have you tried on a personal wifi router at yours or someones house?

PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~dont know if this will work but try going to options - advanced options- host routing table, theb press menu and 'register now'. Then check your service books which are also in advanced options, there should be 2 wifi service books

Quote Originally Posted by benritmeyer View Post
    I have tried my own personal wifi router. Its the same story. I can connect to the router but the browser still tells me "Unable to connect to the internet. Please try again later"

Quote Originally Posted by benritmeyer View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~dont know if this will work but try going to options - advanced options- host routing table, theb press menu and 'register now'. Then check your service books which are also in advanced options, there should be 2 wifi service books
    This still doesnt work somehow...I'm trying to get help from distributor of the phone the advise they have given to me was to upgrade my firmware. So now I am trying...

Quote Originally Posted by shayind4 View Post
    You will need the relevant service books from carrier ( on data plan) for wifi to work, and to make UMA phone calls. Carriers make money this way. Wifi-enabled PDAs connect to routers directly (no service books needed). Using browser +gprs or wap will incur network charges.We need to find a way of getting service books without buying data plan. Good luck.

Sigh...hopefully someone can come up with a way to get over this problem.......I really do not want to be at the mercy of the carriers...

shmengie no está en línea Stack level 4

here's something to ponder: i have my router set to no encryption (no wep, no wpa), but i am using mac filtering. so, if some passerby wants to use my wireless, they think they've connected, but they won't pull i.p. and anything they try to do will time out. sounds similar to what's going on with you. did you by chance lock down your router with mac filtering?
    2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2.
    - Grabel's Law

boomboom no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    retired

The wap browser won't work without the service book, some people have had luck with the opera mini browser. I would download it via desktop manager. And then upload it from there.

You might beable to find a link on this site for it. Do not do OTA for this cause that will use data. Also I bleircr the yahoo messenger uses data not wifi.

Sci-Tek no está en línea Stack level 4

you can use mini opera over socket or hhtp protocol.

Just fill inn options -> advanced -> tcp

Call your carrier to get the APN settings for edge if you dont have them.

Opera 3 / 4 will automaticly discover either http or socket.

Opera can ble DLed from: http://mobile.opera.com , just browse to desktop download and choose blackberry 8100.

Enjoy!

Cheers

theuprightman24 no está en línea Stack level 2

Here's my problem, which is cueently unresolved.

I got the 8120 and have managed to connect to my home router, by the way I have a data plan, I am able to switch browser to wifi, I know this as wifi logo appears top right hand corner.

My problem is I can not send emails via wifi - edge shows! Anyone got any ideas?

Thanking you all in advance.

Hi Guys,

Somehow I have managed to get my wifi to work by combining all your recommendations plus a little trial and error here and there(I still do not know why i did) and now my WIFI is up and running. Thanks for all your help.

Now all I need is to find IM that does not need to use data to work..

theuprightman24 no está en línea Stack level 2

Did you get WIFI to send emails?

Quote Originally Posted by theuprightman24 View Post
    Did you get WIFI to send emails?
    Hi, i just tried to send an email through wifi but i can't do so. I believe it can only be done with a data plan....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast