Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

On all my phones and digital cameras I always attach a cord or lanyard so ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

How to Save Your 8100 From Disaster - No One Tells You About It, Not Even RIM

Advertisement

On all my phones and digital cameras I always attach a cord or lanyard so that when I am using the device, it is safely looped around my wrist. Many times I have dropped devices, only to have it saved because it is strapped to my wrist.

On my phones, some have a lanyard hole so I can attach a strap, some do not. If the phone does not have a lanyard hole, I use those sticky 3M mounting tapes [the kind that can be removed] and then fashion my own mounting with a small plastic hook.

I am sure many of you have noticed that the 8100 is pretty small and can easily be dropped because it has a slick, slippery surface. One cannot get a firm grip on it, especially when typing or using the camera.

I was looking around the 8100 to see where I wanted to affix a lanyard mounting and noticed that RIM put a lanyard hole on it. But nowhere in RIM's manual do they mention this.

So I grabbed one of my spare camera straps, looped it on to the mounting and I was good to go in two minutes.

RIM seems to have put the hole on the right bottom of the phone in recognition that many people are right handed and would want to use a lanyard while taking pictures. See below to see what I mean.

Hats off to RIM for putting the lanyard mount on the phone, thumbs down for not mentioning it in the manual.

Attached Images Attached Images

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Re: How to Save Your 8100 - No One Tells You About, Not Even RIM

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ That is really cool, I just noticed my 7100i has two lanyard holes, one on the bottom left, and one on the bottom right.

zyggy no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23DF2532

first thing I did besides turning it one was to put a strap on it.

Moridar no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    302686bc

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ive dropped my 7100 more times than I can count. I still wouldn't strap it to my arm.

merlik no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204AEA28

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    After I put the shield zone invisible shield on, it became a lot less slick. I guess that is just an added bonus to it now being scratch proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Moridar
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ive dropped my 7100 more times than I can count. I still wouldn't strap it to my arm.
    That certainly is a choice one can make. I too find the strap a hassle, but once I got used to it, it is not so bad.

For me, there are just too many opportunities for me to drop the phone to where it would be destroyed:

Riding the SF Cable Cars - it will fall on to the pavement and the operator is not going to stop a 9 ton cable car going uphill so I can pick up my phone, or what is left of it.

Riding my road bike - I have a cell phone holder/case on the handlebar. Easy to drop the phone while riding and talking. Drop the phone at 15mph on pavement, it's toast.

Those are two things I do a lot, so it would be just a matter of time before my 8100 would go splat. So it's a trade off, hassle of a strap [and looking goofy to some people] or losing my phone and all the data that is on it [yes, I do backups, but not daily, usually weekly].

phillyslix no está en línea Stack level 4

I had checked this out when I first got it, but thought it was weird that there was no lanyard or wrist strap in the box.

Thanks for mentioning it again to those who may have not noticed it.

zukutu no está en línea Stack level 2

I put on my Clie's strap on my Pearl. =D

Better safe than sorry.

Add to my list. The below pics were just taken on my bike ride across the Golden Gate Bridge. I took the picture while hanging my 8100 over the bridge railing.

Say goodbye to Pearl if I dropped her and did not have my wriststrap on.

thought no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks for the great tip...also, it's great that you ride your bike so much...it's great exercise, saves on fuel and the environment...

mythmbhurts no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204D7C8C

I told my girlfriend I was going to strap mine up also and she laughed at me and said "that would be fruity" I said I would rather be fruity than out $400.oo for a new pearl the first time I dropped mine! I am very anal when it comes to scratches and things like that I just wont live with them! Hats off to all you strappers!! Lets never drop are pearls!
    PIN:204D7C8C http://forums.delphiforums.com/Blackberrytalk
    AIM:Austinsnyc
    Yahoo:Whips_n_licks@yahoo.com
    "8100" 4.2.0.64

Moridar no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    302686bc

I don't have the high risk locations that I take my BlackBerry into. So a lanyard works for you... Good! If I put myself into your situations I'll surely strap it to me. The one time I had to take it out on a boat I put it in my pocket.

And those are some nice pics with your pearl!

When i get an rumoured 8800 model BlackBerry I'll take some pics of the east coast of Canada.

bready no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2446C5F4

I use a lanyard my self. I look really stupid with the thing around my neck but I don't care..heh

HEXED no está en línea Stack level 2
    Question.... Does the Pearl have WiFi?

phillyslix no está en línea Stack level 4

No WiFi on the pearl.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast