Hi Has anyone heard of a hack or know someway of modifying current settings to ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

al3000 no está en línea Stack level 1

How to force WIFI instead of GPRS/EDGE on 8120

Advertisement

Hi

Has anyone heard of a hack or know someway of modifying current settings to allow apps (opera mini, jabber, Gmail mobile, ect) to use WiFi instead of GPRS?
    I use many apps that are not directly designed for BB (java) and they only use GPRS connection because it seems to be the default one on my 8120. I know that ppl with NOKIA phones are able to use WIFI with those apps because they can FORCE the phone to use WIFI. I can't for ex. make my OPERA mini to connect thru WIFI although I am connected to my wifi network and BB browser uses it with no problem. THe same is with mobile communicators witch -I know- are working fine on wifi on other phones but on my BB they always try to connect via GPRS/EDGE... even if I disable my "Mobile Network" they just try to use gprs, with no luck of course.
    I found some threads about switching it to wifi on 8320, but my 8120 just doesn't have those settings or i can't find them.

Conclusion is, that for now, i can only use WIFI to browse the web with the default BB browser ((

help!
    Last edited by al3000; 02-12-2008 at 08:11 AM.

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

Re: How to force WIFI instead of GPRS/EDGE on 8120

In the Mobile Network option cant you switch it to Wifi only? and it will allow some apps to work but not all of them. My 8320 lets me do that

in my 8120 i can only switch "data services" ON, OFF or OFF when roaming.
    Also I choose the automatic or manual network selection.
    Nothing about WIFI..

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

I dont know then sorry i cant help

jstodda no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241E85A8

The application has to be DEVELOPED to be used on WIFI. You can just force it to. You can make the wifi your primary browser and most things will work fine. You will have issues at times though so you have to understand that. In internet settings under general properties you should be able to make it your default browser. Then you can goto your connections and setup the browser to use JUST wifi. Thats about the best you can do short of hack the program which I dont think has happened yet.
    T-Mobile Sales Manager
    Blackberry Addict
    Open to answering questions
    PIN: 241E85A8

yes, i did switch my default browser to "hotspot borwser" that's why I CAN use the BB browser via WIFI just like I said in the first place. But I want to use OTHER apps to use WIFI also, things like gmail mobile, skype and such. Like people do on other phones. There MUST be a way to do that, those aplications CAN work via WIFI instead of gprs! Only the bb firmware is kind of crap.

cavyman no está en línea Stack level 1

There is some extra code that can be placed after the port number in the setup options of some programs that will allow the program to access the WiFi connection. It is:

;DeviceSide=True;ConnectionUID=S TCP-WiFi;ConnectionSetup=delayed;retrynocontext=true

...where the port number resides just to the left of the first semi-colon in that string. However, it is not guaranteed to work for everything. Can't hurt to try though!

tong_her no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by al3000 View Post
    in my 8120 i can only switch "data services" ON, OFF or OFF when roaming.
    Also I choose the automatic or manual network selection.
    Nothing about WIFI..
    I thought Wifi was only on the 8320 Curve.

stlgasman no está en línea Stack level 1
    I can only get the ATT 8120 to use wifi when browsing from the blackberry bookmarks folder. I downloaded the facebook and opera mini but I couldn't get them to use wifi.

sungo13 no está en línea Stack level 1

In the same boat

I'm stuck at the same place. Wi-Fi works fine for BB browser, but Opera-Mini hangs on first attempt to run at the end of it's installation sequence. This is my first blackberry, an 8120 through t-mobile. I'm subscribed to BB email, but no web services. It seems like I read another thread saying that you need a data plan to use opera-mini, if only to get through the initial install, then you can go back to wi-fi.
    I don't think this is where it goes, but I tried appending ;DeviceSide=True;ConnectionUID=S TCP-WiFi;ConnectionSetup=delayed;retrynocontext=true to the APN line (which I had set to wap.voicestream.com) with the same failed result.
    I really hope someone figures this out soon, but I have a feeling the opera folks have a mutual interest with the carriers in forcing people to subscribe to a data plan. Let's hope I'm wrong

icaro2000 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask me!
    I first go into options > then go into mobile network, then I select wifi only. Then I go back to the home screen and hit the menu button > then I look for the manage connections icon > then I make sure that my wifi is turned on. Wifi should be enabled at this point, and edge/gms turned off. If edge is still on, you can go back into 'manage connections' and then disable the edge or mobile network. Just make sure that wifi is selected to be on.

breakz no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    245c2603
    My opera mini runs on wifi. Just look under settings and click the box where it says wifi.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~