My text and call logs are still being erased (even more frequently now) which is ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

TyRenee no está en línea Stack level 1

Question How do you erase sample pictures, etc?

Advertisement

My text and call logs are still being erased (even more frequently now) which is so annoying! I've put all of my personal pictures on my memory card and erased the applications I don't use off my phone. My current file free memory is 3,977,121 bytes which seems more than enough space to prevent my msgs and calls from being erased. But before I look, there goes that timer (which usually indicates something is wrong) .....

I checked my device memory and see a lot of sample pictures and other things that I can erase to open more space but they have locks beside them. How do I erase these and is it possible?

BTW, the memory on Blackberry sucks. I've had this problem since I purchased it. I wonder if the new Blackberry Storm causes this many problems or has it been solved. This is ridiculous. No wonder most of my friends have the I-Phone or the touch screen from Verizon.

And I've also removed my battery multiple times. Nothing resolved ....

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    You can't easily remove the included photos -- but let me tell you, that's not the problem entirely.

When you go to Options -> Status, what does the line FileFree say? This is the amount of memory available to the device.

Many things can take up memory and cause your problems:
    1. Photos. When you take photos, are you saving them to a Media Card or into device memory? (If you don't have a media card, that's a problem if you take a lot of photos).

2. Applications. How many applications do you have installed besides the ones that come with the device?

3. Phone call logs and other logs. Go to the Options -> Status screen and click the BB Button. Select Database Sizes. Scroll through the list and see what is taking up memory. The top line will show you the total size. Mine says around 1200K and that's with over 500 SMS messages, emails contacts and everything. Also note the size of MMS. These can take up a ton of memory since they get put in the device memory!

Let us know what you find! We'll try to help!
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Her file free, in the initial post, was 3,977,121 bytes.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    TyRenee,

3mb is way too low. Anything under 10mb can start causing issues.

Take MJ's advice and take a look at some of those things, then if you click on the FAQ link in my signature you'll find a thread dedicated to freeing up device memory.

Regards,
    Roger

Question

mjwood -- All of my photos are on a memory card so that eliminates that problem.

Secondly, I don't have many applications installed besides the one's that came on the phone. I installed Yahoo Go! and Facebook but have since erased the both of those. However, they still show up in my menu screen but not the application list. What gives there?

Third, I checked my database size as you instructed and it has a total of '2037.5K'

My address book - 121/17.2
    Auto Text - 108/6.5K
    Browser URLS - 7/0.3K
    Content store - 40/1539.7K
    MMS Messages - 7/454.7K
    SMS Messages - 37/12.0K

Those appear to be the only space being used under database.

RoGro -- My file free now says '549101' bytes. Is that too low and this is AFTER I've removed programs and pictures.

Can the amount of space on my media card affect my device's memory? I thought the purpose of the media card was to free memory on your device. All of my music and pics are on my media card.

Thanks for your help!

549101? Is that a typo or is that the actual number? That's even lower than the figure you wrote in your original post!

No, the media card is totally separate from the device memory.

There's something else going on.

Did you do a battery pull after you removed the applications? How did you remove them? Options>Advanced Options>Applications. Scroll to the desired app, press BB menu button and Delete. Sometimes the memory won't reallocate until you do a battery pull.

Roger

RoGro -- the file free # tends to fluctuate a lot. As I went back and forth to options>>>status, there was a different #.

However, I didn't do a battery pull as you mentioned after deleting some applications. But I just did and the Yahoo and Facebook applications are now completely removed (from both the apps list and menu) ...

My file free now says "11,120,600 bytes" so hopefully this solves the problem.

I also enabled my 'memory cleaning' option. Should that be enabled?

11mb is much better, but do you still have 3rd party apps on your device? If so, make sure they aren't running in the background when you're done with them.

Also, you can free up around 5mb if you delete the Help and TTY apps off your device. Go to Options>Advanced Options>Applications, highlight and delete each one. You don't need Help because you have us here at PinStack! And unless you're hearing impaired, you don't need the TTY application either.

Memory cleaning should help and keep an eye on your browser cache if you surf a lot as well as the event log, which can add up. Not sure on the Pearl, but to access the log on the Curve you press and hold the Alt key, then alternately press L G L G to bring it up. Press the BB menu button and select Clear Log.

Cheers,
    Roger

You're right; I don't need the help application since this site offers all of the tools I need to solve problems! Thanks sooooo much!!!

Don't forget the battery pull after you delete those two apps!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Anyway I can delete the following AT&T apps:

Customer Center
    Customer Manager
    MyMonternet
    Service Hotline
    Settings
    XinJi Service Guide

I tried to delete unused languages, etc from the OS but it doesn't look like it helped much.

~via 8120 (wap.pinstack.com)~

This is currently how much memory I have: 4,572,592 bytes. Nothing has started disappearing yet but I don't want it to.

Erica, is that before or after you deleted the apps you mentioned above?