Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

hello everyone, first of all nice forum ... i just got my blackberry and reading ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

chillo no está en línea Stack level 1

How do i set up an internet connection through pc?

Advertisement

hello everyone,

first of all nice forum ... i just got my blackberry and reading a lot on the forum helped me a lot ... got many questions answered by just reading and searching ... im new with this kind of device ... umts, gprs, edge ... for me its all chinese to be honest ...

there is only one problem i have, so therefore this post ...

I heard its possible to use my blackberry through my usb port on my PC and use it as a modem ... question is How? ...

I live in italy ... use TIM as a provider ... the install cd doesnt mention anything bout setting up an account ... whot do i need? a pc card? a driver? where do i get some parameters like a number to put in etc ...

i tried to set up a connection manually but of course the modem wasnt found ... maybe i need to activate something on my pearl ... dunno ... if some of you experts could help me and give me a help, id check it out ... many of you are americans and probably are more aware of whots possible with cellphones etc ... i hope you could help me out since i see that many pple here use T mobile as a provider ...

anyway thanx in advance,

cheers

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Re: How do i set up an internet connection through pc?

Hi chillo,

this thread should give you that answer.
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ighlight=modem

welcome to pinstacks and enjoy everything.

jbj9871 no está en línea Stack level 3

There should be software from tmo that you just download and install and that's it.

tony597fittr no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204B9B8D

I havent seen any or heard of any software. But if you follow the link that is how you set it up. If that way doesnt work the other forum has another way of setting it up.

seedyburner no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2438f59d

My question is slightly different. I know you can setup the pearl as a modem, but can you connect your pc to the EDGE internet... not dialup. That would be more beneficial. Would not have to pay for additional service or use your minutes.

tony597fittr no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204B9B8D

You dont use your minutes, at least not with t-mobile. It is all data. I can connect with my pearl and still use my phone. if you have t-mobiles unlimited you shouldnt get charged for tethering.

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    3G

Chillo...Welcome aboard!!!

seedyburner no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2438f59d

so if I use my pearl as a modem even though it's dial up, I won't get charged minutes???

ericugs no está en línea Stack level 3

right because it's actually using your data

well well gonna check it out ASAP ... thanx guys for the warm welcome

i think i gonna use also edge, if possible becuz ... well newsflash i am connected 24/7 for a price that is the same ... probably thats additional info cuz this service is new in italy ... probably abroad its already there for ages

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by srl7741
    Hi chillo,

this thread should give you that answer.
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ighlight=modem

welcome to pinstacks and enjoy everything.
    Hi mate,

well i dont use tmobile ... i have TIM as an operator ... isnt there any software availlable for my operator, or just software where you can put your phonenumber in with prefix ...
    told you i am a non US member

ps: for the record ... whot is a data plan?

cheers

BTW ... is it possible to use the software of t mobile when somebody sends it to me, and use it with my provider or am i just dreaming?

cheers

rkkeller no está en línea Stack level 3

Dont bother trying to use the Pearl as a modem as your going to get speeds LESS than a 56k modem does.

I decided to try it seeing the threads here and on other boards and the speed tests I ran "multiple times" with a 1/2 meg file, the larger the file the more accurate the tests, were only average 30-40k at best. I did get one slighly higher around 50k but averaging is 30-40k.

When you connect the Pearl to the PC, it says connecting at 115k (I forgot to write it down but its 115 or 118k) but its VERY slow. Way to slow for any kind of graphics, music or video downloads. So slow that I aborted the loading of many pages as it was so frustrating.

hmmm interesting ... im gonna try though in some way as im curious

look im from belgium and i live in italy ... all i need is msn to be open to chat with me mates once in a while ... cant download anything anyway as the sim card is from the company and if i gonna start download music etc i dont think thats a wise idea, especially with the company in the middle ... if i go to jail its becuz im an idiot dont want to get other pple involved in it hehe

thanx for your reaction

cheers

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by rkkeller
    Dont bother trying to use the Pearl as a modem as your going to get speeds LESS than a 56k modem does.

I decided to try it seeing the threads here and on other boards and the speed tests I ran "multiple times" with a 1/2 meg file, the larger the file the more accurate the tests, were only average 30-40k at best. I did get one slighly higher around 50k but averaging is 30-40k.

When you connect the Pearl to the PC, it says connecting at 115k (I forgot to write it down but its 115 or 118k) but its VERY slow. Way to slow for any kind of graphics, music or video downloads. So slow that I aborted the loading of many pages as it was so frustrating.
    Not necessarily...

Your USB port is probably limited to 115k, not the device itself.

If the USB is restriciting speeds to 115k, even if the device pulls 2-3x that in speed, the USB is going to limit it to the 115k.

There was a thread somewhere where another person was saying they were always getting 115k when using the Pearl as a modem, but come to find out it was USB limited.

There are a few ways around it.

A: Get a faster USB port, which is going to be pretty inpractical for most people.
    B: Try and go in and edit your USB for the MAX amount of transfer that you can get.

If I get time here a little later, I will do a How To on utilizing and speeding up a USB transfer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast