Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have a bad pixel so I want a new pearl. I spoke to rep ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

j llama no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    4U2ASKME

help with pearl water indicator and warranty

Advertisement

I have a bad pixel so I want a new pearl. I spoke to rep @ t mo. she asked me what color my water indicator was. I know if the indicator is tripped it voids your warranty. I have seen conflicting reports on the color of the strip. Does it have a red strip that turns white after water damage or a white square that creates a red strip after water damage? Someone with a brand new pearl please look @
    The water indicator on the battery and let me know what color it is. Somebody please help I am a confused

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Re: help with pearl water indicator and warranty

Red Strip=No water damage.

Have you had water damage before? Because there is an additional sensor located within the device itself.

j llama no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    4U2ASKME

No I have had no water damage but I read on one of the forums that somebody tripped the strip by having the pearl in the bathroom while showering... This worried me. Thought I would try to get more info to determine if my pearl had become magically water damaged. Thanks for the info.

rudysalpro no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

rudysalpro no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ it turns red if I'm correct

nita no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204C28F9

I was just asked this by a TMO rep earlier this week, it will turn red if there is water damage.

macdevon no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Yeah, I have the same thing. I recharged my pearl using the plug in the bathroom while out of town. Now the indicator on the battery has red x's on it. Bogus.

idub0024 no está en línea Stack level 1

my battery has a white strip on the bottom of it with red x's .... im confused !! does this indicate water damage?

ericugs no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by idub0024
    my battery has a white strip on the bottom of it with red x's .... im confused !! does this indicate water damage?
    I'm pretty sure it does.

mythmbhurts no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204D7C8C

your Pearls have two water indicators one in the housing its self and one on the battery the one on the battery has a 2 rows or X's on it without ant water damage. If that where to get wet it turns completly red or the X's swell in size an the whole thing gets bright red.
    the second water indicator is on the inside housing if you take your battery out and hold the 8100 with the gold changing plates towards your face and look its to the right of the microSD card holder it is soild white without water damage and red/pink with water damage. Its the size of about 5mm by 5mm look close and you will see it. some say a small piece of scotch tape over these stickers will help prevent it from indicating water damage from steam sweat and other small moisture events
    PIN:204D7C8C http://forums.delphiforums.com/Blackberrytalk
    AIM:Austinsnyc
    Yahoo:Whips_n_licks@yahoo.com
    "8100" 4.2.0.64

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Quote Originally Posted by j llama
    I have a bad pixel so I want a new pearl. I spoke to rep @ t mo. she asked me what color my water indicator was. I know if the indicator is tripped it voids your warranty. I have seen conflicting reports on the color of the strip. Does it have a red strip that turns white after water damage or a white square that creates a red strip after water damage? Someone with a brand new pearl please look @
    The water indicator on the battery and let me know what color it is. Somebody please help I am a confused
    Where did you leave it with the T-Mo rep? Did she say the phone would be replaced because of the bad pixel?

Computer monitor warranties typically allow for so many dead pixels before a monitor is considered defective. But most retailers will exchange a monitor with even one dead pixel. What did the T-Mo rep tell you?

The water damage question is usually asked because water damage may cause some pixels to go bad. But water damage will cause more than one to go bad [water damage usually fries part or all of the screen, not just one pixel]. So she should not be suspicious in this regard if there is only one dead pixel.

Did your phone suffer water damage?

As to the indicator, they usually go by what the phone's detector shows, not the battery [batteries are easily replaced]. They have the battery detector to throw off people who think that is the only way to tell water damage [IMHO].

Here is a pic of the phone's detector.

Also, if you have the Pearl, as far as I am aware, the battery water detector does NOT have the two row of XXXX, but just a red bar. See pic. Maybe mine has water damage that I am unaware of.

Last edited by sanfrancisco; 10-24-2006 at 04:46 PM.

mythmbhurts no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204D7C8C

Mine was on the other side of the inside housing to the right of where sanfra's is placed. Interesting they didnt put them all in the same spot. I have also noticed 2 different types of batterys being shipped in the 8100 the yellow cover on some is matte while other are shinny and smooth feeling. Mine is the matte type that feels rough to the touch
    PIN:204D7C8C http://forums.delphiforums.com/Blackberrytalk
    AIM:Austinsnyc
    Yahoo:Whips_n_licks@yahoo.com
    "8100" 4.2.0.64

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Quote Originally Posted by j llama
    I read both T-Mo's and RIM's warranty provisions. Actually, T-Mo is warranting the Pearl through RIM, kind of a go between.

I did NOT see any language allowing for a certain number of dead pixels before the unit is considered defective. Therefore based on the language of the warranty statement, a single dead pixel on the Pearl is a defect in material and workmanship.

So you are covered, IMHO, and entitled to an exchange, unless you inflicted water damage to your phone.

Here is the language from the RIM site [which is referred to in the T-Mo warranty book]. Lots of fine print:

The BlackBerry Handheld, the BlackBerry Cradle, and any other RIM hardware accessories, excluding external batteries and SIM cards, which are provided to YOU concurrently and in conjunction with the BlackBerry Handheld specifically for use with YOUR particular model of BlackBerry Handheld (which together comprise the BlackBerry Hardware), will be free from defects in workmanship and materials for a period that is the shorter of (i) one (1) year from the date that the new BlackBerry Handheld was first purchased by YOU as an original end-user ("YOU") and (ii) the period ending upon YOUR breach of the BlackBerry End-User/Software License Agreement (the "License Agreement") entered into between YOU and Research In Motion Limited and/OR its affiliated group of companies' ("RIM") in connection with the BlackBerry Solution (the "Warranty Period").

kamaunu no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    241c3f07

Customer care isn't asking for the liquid damage indicator on the battery they are asking for the sticker on the phone. It stays white until it gets wet then it can go any where from pink to red. Any color other than white voids the warranty. Customer care has to ask that question no matter what the issue is. They have a seroius of generic questions that have to ask and click the answer on their screen before they can process the form for the exchange. I know it seems like a waste of time but it's a requirement.

tecrishon no está en línea Device Expert
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by mythmbhurts
    Mine was on the other side of the inside housing to the right of where sanfra's is placed.
    mine is located in this spot to - on the right side.

Quote Originally Posted by sanfrancisco
    Also, if you have the Pearl, as far as I am aware, the battery water detector does NOT have the two row of XXXX, but just a red bar. See pic.
    i have the matted/rough feeling battery too, and i have the 2 rows of XXXX. mine is only about a week old, and i've been pretty careful with it, so i'm pretty sure its not water damaged.

ALSO -- about this scotch tape thing...if i place a piece of scotch tape of the phone water sticker, this will help protect from bathroom steam? taking the piece of paper off won't at all effect the sticker, will it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast