Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am having difficulty setting up the mass storage feature on my Pearl 8100 phone. ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

DiAngelo no está en línea Stack level 1

Help with Mass Storage Mode

Advertisement

I am having difficulty setting up the mass storage feature on my Pearl 8100 phone.
    I checked to make sure that media card support for my 1 gig Sandisk microcard is on and that mass storage mode support is also turned on, but when I hook up the phone to my pc, it is not recognized as a storage device. All connections listed in the windows device manager are okay, including the one for the blackberry device (ver 3.03)
    I tried this on (2) different PC's with USB 2.0 ports, and the results are the same. The only way I can transfer files is by using the Desktop Media application.
    I can read the files on the microcard using a card reader (and adapter), and formatting it in the phone does not seem to make a difference.
    Perhaps the phone is "damaged"? Everything else seems to work okay. Will a firmware or software update possibly fix this?

Please advise.

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Help with Mass Storage Mode

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Did you format the micro sd?

Yes....Several times!

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Quote Originally Posted by DiAngelo
    I am having difficulty setting up the mass storage feature on my Pearl 8100 phone.
    I checked to make sure that media card support for my 1 gig Sandisk microcard is on and that mass storage mode support is also turned on, but when I hook up the phone to my pc, it is not recognized as a storage device. All connections listed in the windows device manager are okay, including the one for the blackberry device (ver 3.03)
    I tried this on (2) different PC's with USB 2.0 ports, and the results are the same. The only way I can transfer files is by using the Desktop Media application.
    I can read the files on the microcard using a card reader (and adapter), and formatting it in the phone does not seem to make a difference.
    Perhaps the phone is "damaged"? Everything else seems to work okay. Will a firmware or software update possibly fix this?

Please advise.
    This has been covered on other Boards extensively. Sounds like you read those before posting here. Thank you for that and your detailed post.

Call T-Mo from a land line and ask about this because it looks like you have it all covered in terms of checking things.

One other thing, is this a work Pearl and does your IT have your phone "locked" in terms of using the SD card?

I am attaching it to my home pc's...I will call TMO tomorrow.

Many thanks.

bready no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2446C5F4

Are you able to sync to the BB via desktop manager? If not, perhaps you have an issue with the USB connection? Are you able to support USB connections on other devices (web cam, pda, etc)? If not, you may check if your USB support is enabled (usually through BIOS I believe). I hope this helps.

BReady

tmonoober no está en línea Stack level 2

if you are on a bes server then it doesnt matter whether or not u r using ur home computer if it has your IT department has disabled that feature... check that first, if not u have a defecytive phone...

I am attaching it to my home pc's...I will call TMO tomorrow.

Many thanks.
    T-Mo is open today. Give em a call.

How about options>advanced options>media card

Turn mass storage mode on?

cookie91398 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2082C541

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I just figured out its easier to use desktop manager than to try and mess with mass storage. If anyone finds an easier way to work the mass storage or figure out what's wrong with it please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie91398
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I just figured out its easier to use desktop manager than to try and mess with mass storage. If anyone finds an easier way to work the mass storage or figure out what's wrong with it please let me know.
    It's not easier to use DM. Most people don't have to "mess with mass storage" and do not have problems.

It's just a stumper to figure out what is wrong with his unit. He is a member on Blackberry Forums and we walked through all the steps on that site.

Also:

1. It's easier and faster to NOT open DM and to simply connect a USB cable, open the BB folders and transfer files.

2. Transferring files through XP and NOT DM is 10X faster, at least.

On my PC, BB, and DM it takes a looooooooooooooooooong time to transfer a 5MB file, for example. If I was to transfer a 300MB movie through DM, that would be an hour job. Without DM it took about two minutes.

Guys -

Just to update everyone on my experience with TMO. I spent over an hour with them and got no where. One of the techs was from RIM and he tried everything to get the mass storage mode to work on the pearl, including:

• Verifiying media card settings
    • Disabling power management for the USB hubs
    • Reloading Handheld software
    After an hour or so of this, he suggested I replace the device, and transferred me back to TMO. They were unsure how to proceed. Was this "buyer's remorse" or a "handheld exchange?" Duh! I told them that the phone is barely two weeks old, and that they had not even billed me for it yet. Either way, they are going to send me a new phone. I am also going to try a new USB cable.

I want to eliminate the possibility that this is a micro card issue. If you remove the card and leave mass storage support on, will Windows still recognize it as a usb drive ?

Thanks,

DiAngelo

DiAngelo, it should recognize it, with or without the card in...

Yeah, you should always check things with a different cable, on different ports, etc. so to eliminate those things as being the source of the problem.

I'd like to say in here, everyone should note that T-Mo once again stepped up to the plate on custo service. They spent an hour with him. I have seen other posts where T-Mo spent three hours on a tech support call.

I know of no other company that would spend even 15 minutes with us, that is, unless we paid $50 an hour for the help.

Back on subject, since you might be doing a phone exchange, try doing the wipe and reinstall and see what happens.

After that, I'd insist on a new phone. [They are giving you one? Sounds like they are].

It happens, once in awhile a bad phone goes out. I am amazed these things work at all considering what is packed into this little 3.2 oz device.

Guys -

Just to update everyone on my experience with TMO. I spent over an hour with them and got no where. One of the techs was from RIM and he tried everything to get the mass storage mode to work on the pearl, including:
    • Verifying media card settings
    • Disabling power management for the USB hubs
    • Reloading Handheld software
    After an hour or so of this, he suggested I replace the device, and transferred me back to TMO. They were unsure how to proceed. Was this "buyer's remorse" or a "handheld exchange?" Duh! I told them that the phone is barely two weeks old, and that they had not even billed me for it yet. Either way, they are going to send me a new phone. I am also going to try a new USB cable.

I want to eliminate the possibility that this is a micro card issue. If you remove the card and leave mass storage support on, will Windows still recognize it as a USB drive ?

Thanks,

DiAngelo

CivilE no está en línea Stack level 1

You might want to check your drives under Disk Managament. Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management >> Disk Management

I've had it happen before where the drive letter of my bb was the same as a drive letter already in use (all those damn card readers and network drives). If that's the case, you can change the letter of your bb.

Might be worth a shot...

:cheers:

CivilE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast