Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but I'm pretty dead in the water here. I ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

clarencerosario no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Help with 8100: Buttons Not Working and/or Operating By Themselves

Advertisement

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but I'm pretty dead in the water here. I have a 2nd hand 8100, using T-Mobile.

My 8100 has been exhibiting very strange behavior only recently.

1) Keys not working: last week, certain keys stopped functioning or would "double click". For example, trackball will scroll, won't respond to "select" command (pressing down). Other keys intermittently won't respond, or respond like the key next to it (Back key acts like terminate call key to its right). In other cases, when trackball is working, pressing down (select) will double select, or jump several places up/down in the open menu.

2) Keys operating independently: when device is just sitting there, a series of seemingly random commands will execute: messages open, menus open, menu items are selected. I awoke to find 20+ drafts in my message list: the device had been selecting a message, replying to it, and closing (thankfully, NOT sending). In other cases, I'm alerted by the device's key tones and watch it execute a few random commands before stopping.

3) Currently, the trackball can't select (pressing down) anything, but it can scroll.

It was all I could do to turn the device off. I've powered it down several times, removed the battery for several minutes, put it back in and powered it on. I've let the battery drain and then charged it. Nothing seems to work.

Since it's 2nd hand, it's not under warranty.

Any advice/guidance would be appreciated! Reply here or email clarencerosario AT gmail DOT com.

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Re: Help with 8100: Buttons Not Working and/or Operating By Themselves

Have you tried a battery pull on this device to see if that helped? Have you made any recent installations of software apps to your device? Sounds like you have hardware issues. Not being under warranty might be a problem here.
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

Thanks for the quick reply. Yep, I've removed the battery (both after powering down the device as well as when it was still powered on and the keys wouldn't respond at all) on several occasions now.

I have not installed any new software or done software/firmware upgrades recently.

I use a Mac, so I'm not using any desktop software for the 8100 either, and have not connected it to a computer at all.

I'd read on other forums here (about trackball trouble) that pulling the battery usually helped. In the absense of that, any other guidance appreciated! You know, before I remove the SIM and throw it in the Hudson. ;-)

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by clarencerosario
    Thanks for the quick reply. Yep, I've removed the battery (both after powering down the device as well as when it was still powered on and the keys wouldn't respond at all) on several occasions now.

I have not installed any new software or done software/firmware upgrades recently.

I use a Mac, so I'm not using any desktop software for the 8100 either, and have not connected it to a computer at all.

I'd read on other forums here (about trackball trouble) that pulling the battery usually helped. In the absense of that, any other guidance appreciated! You know, before I remove the SIM and throw it in the Hudson. ;-)
    I would get to a PC and reload the OS on the BB. If it is a software issue that will correct it. Hope it is not hardware if the phone is OOW.

prel no está en línea Stack level 2

This is my 2nd pearl same problem here. With the last pearl I opened it up and cleaned the ball got rid of the problem. these phones are not air tight so lint will build up inside good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie_gauge
    I would get to a PC and reload the OS on the BB. If it is a software issue that will correct it. Hope it is not hardware if the phone is OOW.
    Good advice, I'll give that a shot, and let you know the result. Thanks!

The Aftermath:

1) Worked with T-Mobile, reloaded the software on the device. This didn't end up working, and the unit was acting up just as badly as before.
    2) Called them back, amazingly enough, they replaced it (even though I'd bought it used on eBay).

Go figure.

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by clarencerosario
    The Aftermath:

1) Worked with T-Mobile, reloaded the software on the device. This didn't end up working, and the unit was acting up just as badly as before.
    2) Called them back, amazingly enough, they replaced it (even though I'd bought it used on eBay).

Go figure.
    Good to hear you are getting another phone.