It was last week when I woke up to a text message on my blackberry. ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

iLLESTS0LE no está en línea Stack level 1

Question HELP!! turns on and off by itself & can't press icons

Advertisement

It was last week when I woke up to a text message on my blackberry. When i tried to open it, it turned off on me. I thought that it wasn't anything so i took out the battery and put it back in. When i tried to turn it on, it wouldn't when I would press the on button but it would turn by itself after 5 seconds. Then goes to the hourglass to the AT&T screen then to the home screen. When I tried I click on something it doesn't go to it. All the buttons don't work incuding the letter/number keypad, side buttons, and stand-by button at the top, but the trackball works (It goes to an icon but can't go into it.) Then it turns off again and it continually does this until the battery runs out or i take it out. What should I do??? I need my blackberry!!HELP!!

phiv5e no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    217F515F
    what OS are you running?? 4.5?? i actually had this problem....

luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    Welcome to pinstack!
    If your phone is new I'd take it back to the store. it sounds like a defect in the handset. that's my best advice.

also what device do you have?
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey

PIN/ID
    217F515F
    It also may be your memory card if you have one stored and if you are running 4.5 ??? Ok, so if this is the case, check this thread out..

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/f7/help-90719/)

thanks to Firedragon64... he fixed my bb and now she's all better....

if this is not the problem, im sure someone will get to the bottom of it for you....

hopefully you will get this resolved soon....

I read the thread you posted a link to there phiv5e
    looks like it can help iLLESTS0LE out.
    good info to keep in mind for sure!
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey

I am illerate in BBs . What is an OS? and how can I figure out which one my phone is running.

PIN/ID
    217F515F
    Its ok... ummm, on your home screen go to your options menu.. it should look like a wrench or some type of tool. But im just assuming because it will depend on if your using 3rd party apps/themes. Anyway.. go to the top of that screen .. it should say About, Applications, Advance etc... go to About or from your home screen and holding the ALT button push EACE . this will take you to your HELP ME screen. It tells you your vendor id, platform, app version, pin number, etc.

PIN/ID
    217F515F
    Its ok... ummm, on your home screen go to your options menu.. it should look like a wrench or some type of tool. But im just assuming because it will depend on if your using 3rd party apps/themes. Anyway.. go to the top of that screen .. it should say About, Applications, Advance etc... go to About or from your home screen and holding the ALT button push EACE . this will take you to your HELP ME screen. It tells you your vendor id, platform, app version, pin number, etc.

wait illestsole, if you can't navigate past the home screen you won't be able to check it on your phone.
    give phiv5e'a idea a go but... do you have desktop manager installed? and if you do did it come from the CD that should have come with your berry?
    if you answered yes to both of those questions then go into this directory on your computer:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files

and you should see a folder with your phones model type and information about what os (for example this is one of the folder names on my computer 8330-v4.5.0.77_P3.2.0.51)
    any way, if you look at the folder name i.e. 8330-v4.5.0.77_P3.2.0.51, the bolded part of the folder title shows what OS it is for. if you have more then one folder you are probably using the greater one.

I still believe that it may be a hand set issue though. how old is the phone? if you are under your 30 days I'd return it and just be done with it. you may be able to upgrade your phone but I don't know if that will fix your key problem.

let us know what happens

bajanbastard no está en línea Stack level 4
    Or just connect the BB to the PC, open the DTM (desktop manager) at the top of the right corner of the DTM window click help and in the menu hit device properties. Look for application version.

Eg: Application version : 4.5.0.93

NB: I'm using DTM 4.6 IDK if older DTM have that option.
    Device history: 8100 > 8320 > 8900 & 9530. Keep crackin'

I got this phone from my older sister so I can't return it but I did the desktop manager thing and it says:

Platform version: 2.3.0. 78
    Application version: 4.2.1.96

Total application space:64 M
    Free Application space:14M

and I don't have a memory card im just using the regular phone memory.

lmk if that helps

I really don't knw what to tell you bro. Anytime my 8100 plays around i wipe it with a program called JL_cmder and reinstall the OS.

Look here for your carrier and download either the same operating system (OS) you have right now or the latest 4.5 one. (4.5.0.81 is what i recommend) remember it MUST be for your model phone.

Download and install the OS on your PC.
    Use the JL_Cmder to wipe the phone clean.
    Open the DTM and hit add/update apps.

It should take about 30-45 mintues.

Note: I don't know if this will work but it's what i'd do. Ball is in your court.

So i wiped the phone clean. re-installed the OS. it doesn't turn off and on anymore but still none of the keys work!! including the sides buttons top stand-by buttons and keyboard. help!

Well @ least its not turnin off .

Sorry dude IDK what else to tell you.

you may be able to take it in to your provider and (for a fee of course) they may be able to fix it for you.

or they should at least be able to tell you what is wrong with it.
    let us know what happens