Help Please, I took my blackberry to the beach and a wave hit it for ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

dotsone2006 no está en línea Stack level 1

Help please Water damage

Advertisement

Help Please, I took my blackberry to the beach and a wave hit it for a short second. The sticker inside the phone didn't turn pink, but the phone's screen will not come on, when i put the battery in. The light on back comes on and the one in the front blinks red. Can anyone tell me whats going on?

LLc0oLJ no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Help please Water damage

Um salt water is usually a really bad sign , try letting it dry over night but if that doesnt work you might have to call for replacement

Zekialstone no está en línea Stack level 3

I read some said leave the battery out, then dry it with a blow dryer. Water and electricity is a very bad combo

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Salt water is corrosive. There may not be much that can be done. We recommend to all our customers that if they get their phone wet in salt water to dip it into fresh water asap for 5 minutes and then let it sit for 24 hours or longer if they can to let it dry out. The fresh water will help wash out the salt water from the inside of the phone.

Zo.

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek
    dip it into fresh water asap for 5 minutes and then let it sit for 24 hours or longer if they can to let it dry out.
    Zo.
    thats like sticking a knife into yourself to save your life. self inflicted pain, ouch

Last edited by glehman85; 06-11-2007 at 02:20 PM.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Might want to use distilled water. not just fresh water.

Kortanis no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AA980E

Quote Originally Posted by amigotek
    dip it into fresh water asap for 5 minutes and then let it sit for 24 hours or longer if they can to let it dry out.
    The are many components within the Pearl that will be permanantly damaged should they come into contact with water. This is true for almost every electronic device, unless it has been built to be waterproof or water resistant.

Dipping your phone into water will permanantly damage the screen, speaker, and microphone; and thats just getting started. The water will not hurt most of the solid state components like resistors, LED's, etc. Input and output components are always more vulnerable.

If your pearl was powered on when it got wet, then you've probably shorted a few components as well. There are many places with in the Pearl specifically that could hold small amounts of water for a long time, and since the salt water is corrosive than you are just asking for long term trouble should you get it to power on. This is the only reason why you might try to rinse it, but the method a repair shop would use is distilled water in very small amounts with the device fully opened up.

I am very certain that you will not be able to restore full functionality to your device. Sorry, I know thats really not what you'd like to hear. Good luck though, hope it works out!
    Last edited by Kortanis; 06-11-2007 at 02:31 PM.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Quote Originally Posted by Kortanis
    The are many components within the Pearl that will be permanantly damaged should they come into contact with water. This is true for almost every electronic device, unless it has been built to be waterproof or water resistant.

Dipping your phone into water will permanantly damage the screen, speaker, and microphone; and thats just getting started. The water will not hurt most of the solid state components like resistors, LED's, etc. Input and output components are always more vulnerable.
    You are correct in those statements. But since the phone has already been hit by Salt Water the most important thing to possibly save it (and yes the odds are low on the pearl in comparison to a lot of other devices) is to not allow the salt water to begin "eating" the board away. Salt water in a phone does the same thing as salt water on a car, it starts eating away at metal components (such as the circuit traces in between the wafer board).

Zo

LLc0oLJ no está en línea Stack level 3

yea i think you need a new phone........at least the pearl 2 is commin out ...........