Now the Pearl is my first BB so bear with me with this question. I ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

boarder5374 no está en línea Stack level 1

HELP - Phone Only Profile

Advertisement

Now the Pearl is my first BB so bear with me with this question. I use my blackberry for two email accounts - the t-mobile blackberry one that I got when I signed up for Blackberry service and gmail.

Now when I am at work I would like to shut off the email service since I have Gmail on the desktop (this means at the end of the day I have to delete messages on my phone that I checked on my desktop PC).

When I use the Phone only profile - I still get all of my emails. Is there a setting I need to tweak?? This has gone from slightly annoying to full on annoying the more days this happens.

Thanks for your help.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: HELP - Phone Only Profile

Once your BB is set up to get your gmail it will always get your gmail. Profiles only changes the sounds that the BB does or does not make when you get various things.
    I know you can set up filters on your interent email. Not sure if they have a time option to only send mail to the BB when you are outside of work.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

pinchao no está en línea Stack level 1

The profile settings only deal with ringer and notifications so it wouldn't help in the situation.

Although I haven't tried before, maybe you should play with the email reconciliation function to see if you sync the phone with gmail.

Also, not sure if you know this but by holding down the shift key and scroll the track ball you can select multiple messages. This way you can delete all the message in one shot so I guess it is not too bad. If you do it only in the gmail email box, you can delete the messages that get into your gmail.

My 2 cents. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by boarder5374
    Now the Pearl is my first BB so bear with me with this question. I use my blackberry for two email accounts - the t-mobile blackberry one that I got when I signed up for Blackberry service and gmail.

Now when I am at work I would like to shut off the email service since I have Gmail on the desktop (this means at the end of the day I have to delete messages on my phone that I checked on my desktop PC).

When I use the Phone only profile - I still get all of my emails. Is there a setting I need to tweak?? This has gone from slightly annoying to full on annoying the more days this happens.

Thanks for your help.

Ok, just checked the BIS filters, no time. I also checked gmail to see if you could instead forward mail to your BB and set up a time, no dice there.
    You could set up forwarding for the gmail instead of having it through your BIS and turn the gmail forwarding off when you get to work and back on when you leave.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

boarder5374 no está en línea Stack level 1

Pinchao and Melissaox:

Thank you both for your help. It is very much appreciated. I have tweaked the reconciliation settings and they dont seem to work with gmail. I think its due to the fact that gmail's servers default to archiving rather than deleting.

I used to do the forwarding but when I would reply it would default reply from my blackberry account instead of my gmail.

I will def use the "select multiple emails trick" you gave me to delete the entire lot of new emails at the end of the day. That seems like a quick fix. Thanks again!

Good luck. I dunno if you are using gmail via work or personal, but yahoo does reconcile with the BB, you might look into trying out yahoo.
    My Blog , My Flickr

pinchao no está en línea Stack level 1

Good luck and enjoy your crackberry.

auroran no está en línea Stack level 2

This is quite interesting. Myself I have thunderbird checking my gmail accounts via pop and if thunderbird gets to them first then they don't get to the blackberry at all. If the berry gets to them first then they are available on both.
    The settings on the gmail server are pop enabled and keep copy in inbox.
    For thunderbird it's set to not leave messages on server (but they stay anyway).
    Finaly for the BIS interface, I don't have anything special there.

Hope some of this helps.
    I'm finding that I'm also learning lots w/ my first blackberry a 7130g that i'd bought 3 days after my providers press release.

sangesf no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23C8604D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Why can't you just un-install gmail from your blackberry?
    That would stop any and all emails from gmail to your Blackberry

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Considering your situation and your desired solution that isn't available, I would think the best solution would be to turn off handheld delivery in the BIS for when you don't want the messages delivered. That's likely also the quickest method.