Hello, I got a Blackberry Pearl about 10 days ago. I like it great so ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

bpursley no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Help: "Malformed Address" and "Bad DNS Address"

Advertisement

Hello,

I got a Blackberry Pearl about 10 days ago. I like it great so far, but the only problem I have is some third party applications do not work… specifically Opera Mini and Plusmo, although I have tried a some others and have gotten similar errors.

I was wondering if anyone here could point me in the right direction. Sorry in advanced for the long first post, but I want to provide as much info as possible. I've searched various forums and found alot of information, but none of it seemed to help in my situation.

First, when I try to use Opera Mini, I get a “Failed to connect to the internet.” error. And it says to go to operamini.com/help to find out more.

The operamini website had information about setting the APN in Advanced Options, so I did that using wap.gocbw.com (username: cbw) and also blackberry.net (I was told to use this for the APN by the guy at Cincinnati Bell). Oh yeah, I am a BIS customer and I have the unlimited data plan. I did a hard-reset (battery pull) and deleted and re-added service books. I also upgraded to the latest Blackberry OS version. My connection says “EDGE” and I have 5 bars.

Second, when I try to use Plusmo I get the “Connection Problem” error. I downloaded their connection test application, and it gave me more information (output below):

Using WAP connection to Plusmo…
    Error
    java.io.IOException: Malformed Address.
    Returning null connection.
    Using BES connection to Plusmo…
    Error
    java.io.IOException: invalid url parameter.
    Connect by IP to detect DNS problems…
    Error
    Returning null connection
    Connect to yahoo.com…
    Error
    Returning null connection
    Done

Third, several other applications I have downloaded get either the “Bad DNS Address” or “Malformed Address” errors.

Finally, the following applications work fine for me:
    - Email (of course)
    - Web Browser
    - Yahoo Instant Messenger
    - Handango In Hand
    - Google Maps

Thanks!
    Brian

adelina no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Help: "Malformed Address" and "Bad DNS Address"

Hmm... Since other programs seem to work you must have the settings right...
    Did you run the network setup on Opera Mini??

I think so. When I start Opera Mini, the first thing it says is Network Setup - Different ways of connecting to the internet will now be attempted. Press OK to start the setup. When I click ok, it runs through Performing test 1 through 11, but it pauses for about 30 seconds on tests 9 and 10. In the end it says "Failed to connect to the Internet. Go to operamini.com/help with your desktop browser of contact your service provider for Internet settings."

If you had to guess, do you think it has something to do with my device configuration or with Cincinnati Bell?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Could you BES be preventing you using these programs? Some do this using an IT policy.

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Well, I think I have BIS, because I don't have an enterprise server that I connect to. Is there some way to verify this? Is it possible that Cincinnati Bell gave me a "BES Profile" instead?

Maybe another call to Cincinnati Bell is in order to verify this.

williamlc21 no está en línea Stack Lead

Have you changed your TCP settings in advanced options? Rcbjr-looks like he is BIS according to post.
    "I'm the best there is. And even if you beat me, I'm still the best." -Fast Eddie Felson(The Hustler)

Yes, I tried wap.gocbw.com (username: cbw) as suggested on the Internet. I also tried blackberry.net (no username/password) which is what the Cincinnati Bell tech told me to use.

I didn't see anywhere to enter a Gateway IP or port, though.

Maybe try the wap.gocbw.com without a username/password???

pedroza no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23F123C7

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~what os are you running? I can't get opera to work on my tmobile os. I am up to date but still have connection problem as well.

OS Version 4.2.1.94

I originally had something else, but tried upgrading the OS to see if it fixed this problem.

adelina, I tried it with no user/pass, I also tried a bunch of other various combinations, even other APN names. If I try another APN name, I get the tunnel error, so it definitely sees something special about blackberry.net versus some other name that doesn't exist.

On an unrelated note, something I noticed when looking at my service books is about the IPPP service book, which I know is used for network configuration. I have "IPPP for BIBS" and "IPPP for 5 Click" but I dont have any general IPPP service book. Can someone who has network applications working check their service books and see if there is another IPPP entry that I am missing by chance?
    Last edited by bpursley; 05-16-2007 at 05:25 PM.

I have like 12 different things in my service books.

I have a bunch of stuff in my service book too. But how many IPPP-related entries do you have? Or do you mean you have 12 IPPP related entries?

I only haev one IPPP ones. it's the for BIBS

I just wanted to follow up on my original post, and say that today, after a weeks of giving up on it, I decided to try it again, and plugged in wap.gocbw.com for the APN again, and bam, it started working... bbweather and opera mini now are working on my 8100. I just hope Cincinnati Bell doesn't turn off whatever they did to make it work.