Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've had my blackberry pearl since mid december and it's been working great. All of ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

r2d2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23ED8B14

HELP! Has a Mind of Its Own!!

Advertisement

I've had my blackberry pearl since mid december and it's been working great. All of the sudden, yesterday it started freaking out. Every time I open the messages I would start to type a message and it would send after 3 or 4 letters. Also, when i click the menu button (to the left of the trackball) it would automatically select the first highlighted option. Sometimes it gets so bad that when I'm scrolling around the icons, it will open up whichever it chooses. I have rolled over the lock keyboard icon and it selected it (a very big pain), and when I unlock it, it wont let me scroll. Instead, it just selects the lock keyboard option again. I have tried this about 6 times in a row until I finally got it out of the keyboard lock. Any help or similar problems would be greatly appreciated to see that I'm not the only one in this predicament.

Thanks,
    Evan

fbriceno97 Guest

Re: HELP! Has a Mind of Its Own!!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Try a battery pull out...

PIN/ID
    23ED8B14

I've done that many times. I also saw in another post to hold the power button for 30 seconds with the battery pulled. I've done that too, and it's only getting worse

fbriceno97 Guest

Have you recently installed any 3rd party application?

Dou you use a SD card to store the media files (pictures, videos, ringtones, music)?

Check how much free memory you got on the device

PIN/ID
    23ED8B14

If it was that easy I would.. I can barely navigate to the options icon, let alone try to delete something. I do have a 1gb Micro SD with pictures and music on it. I haven't installed any applications or installed any new music or pictures in the last 3 months. I will try to find how much space I have and get back to you, but it's a very big challenge

fbriceno97 Guest

It is very weird what is happening to you, it could/must be a bug on the OS, but why now and not since you got it?.

I would take it to the provider to have them check it.

PIN/ID
    23ED8B14

Yea I'm at work right now and I can go online, but not leave and make a run to the Cingular store, so I thought I'd check here first. Anyone else having similar problems or even heard of such things? I haven't gotten it wet or dropped it. I think I dropped it maybe once about 4 months ago, but that shouldn't have affected it now.

mach1guy no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23EE6373

try doing a wipe possibly

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

It could possibly be a corrupt OS problem but it sounds like it also could be a sticking trackball or return key.

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr

dfguild no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by r2d2 View Post
    I've had my blackberry pearl since mid december and it's been working great. All of the sudden, yesterday it started freaking out. Every time I open the messages I would start to type a message and it would send after 3 or 4 letters. Also, when i click the menu button (to the left of the trackball) it would automatically select the first highlighted option. Sometimes it gets so bad that when I'm scrolling around the icons, it will open up whichever it chooses. I have rolled over the lock keyboard icon and it selected it (a very big pain), and when I unlock it, it wont let me scroll. Instead, it just selects the lock keyboard option again. I have tried this about 6 times in a row until I finally got it out of the keyboard lock. Any help or similar problems would be greatly appreciated to see that I'm not the only one in this predicament.

Thanks,
    Evan
    Did you ever get an answer to this? This has happened to me on several phones now, so it must be software not hardware or the quality is really awful.

Let me know what happened if you can.

Thanks,
    Dave

codyk09 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23fc6212

i would try doing a catholic exorcism, its rather dangerous so only use it as a last resort

organic_matter no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~lol or you could go the more friendly way of non-denominational....
    That's a mouthfuLl on a sure type

GeneKam no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    232D8D38

lol, why catholic? go for christian . But seriously i would try to wipe first, unless the hardware feels different, like alot different, a wipe should do. I hate dealing with SP as to do a wipe they usually take their time as they have lineups, so it might be a while if you want them to do it.

KING_E no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    305ccac0

a very similar thing happened to me. it turned out to be a little piece of dirt under the track ball. when i would roll it, it would click the button sensor or whatever. it was a huge pain to fix and you couldn't feel the the ball pushing the button which is what was weird.

mansell999uk no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up Re: HELP! Has a Mind of Its Own!!

Quote Originally Posted by KING_E View Post
    a very similar thing happened to me. it turned out to be a little piece of dirt under the track ball. when i would roll it, it would click the button sensor or whatever. it was a huge pain to fix and you couldn't feel the the ball pushing the button which is what was weird.
    Hi I had this exact problem yesterday I took the leap and stripped my pearld down and it turned out to be a hair trapped between the trackball and the menu key once remoyde and reassembled no further issues hope this helps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast