Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I just got my BlackBerry Pearl 8130, and I have NO idea how to use ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

sammienae no está en línea Stack level 1

Help! Brand new BB user

Advertisement

I just got my BlackBerry Pearl 8130, and I have NO idea how to use it or even where to begin. Actually, I'm not even getting text messages or missed calls. Can someone help?

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    First of all welcome to Pinstack. As to your not receiving text messages, is the 8130 a T-Mobile device? and if so, were you receiving texts on your SIM card in the phone you had before?

Thanks! I've been searching everywhere for help, and so far no such luck. It's actually US Cellular, and if it matters, I was receiving messages in my previous phone. I'm just frustrated and don't know where to begin. Does it sound like something I need to fix? Or is it something with the actual service?

Mr_Carter no está en línea Stack level 5
    Hey welcome to the wonderful world of BB.. Sure it might be a bit overwhelming at first, but trust me... You will soon love it. Give us some more info so we can help you out. What seems to be the problem? ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Did you buy your device new or used and has it been activated yet by US Cellular?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    First of all welcome to Pinstack. As to your not receiving text messages, is the 8130 a T-Mobile device? and if so, were you receiving texts on your SIM card in the phone you had before?
    US Cellular is a CDMA carrier and doesn't use SIM cards.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by sammienae View Post
    I just got my BlackBerry Pearl 8130, and I have NO idea how to use it or even where to begin. Actually, I'm not even getting text messages or missed calls. Can someone help?
    Sammie, assuming that you can send and receive calls, that's the most important, the next thing for you to do is find a guide that came with the phone and get familiar with what the keys are called.

If you don't have that, find the "Help" icon on the 8130 and start reading at the top in there. You can press the trackball to select, the escape key (just right of the trackball) to go back and the "menu" key, just the to left of the trackball to find options.

Try a few things as you read from the help sections and, when you get lost, post back in here and someone will help you. I hope that gets you started.

BTW, you don't have a SIM card - those are for GSM phones and yours is a CDMA phone. Don't worry about that for now. Just start learning some of the basic operations.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Also, when you finally start getting messages, I recommend learning the SureType input method. I have used this since I had a 7100t and it's way easier for me since I only have to press each key one time to get to the letter I want. I also find it easier to pay attention to the screen and not the keyboard when typing. Hope this helps.

Also, use the Custom Dictionary (Options>Custom Dictionary (or Wordlist) to delete the words and letter combinations you won't use.

fritzdoss no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    249F61CB
    Patience. You'll be slackin and stackin in not time. Just hang around here. Welcome to the stacks.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    US Cellular is a CDMA carrier and doesn't use SIM cards.
    Yeah, I wasn't sure what carrier had the 8130-thanks

Wow. Okay...my biggest problem is that while I can send outgoing texts, I can't receive them. Additionally, my call log isn't holding anything. The missed call alert will come up and I can't view who the call was from or even other placed calls. Is there something I need to turn on/off? Is this normal?
    So far, I haven't found anyone else who has had the same problem. BUT everything else seems to be fine (i.e. my browser.) I've gone through my help guides and can't find anything that addresses this, but I'm fairly caught-up with the other basics of the phone. And yes, it's been acitvated through US Cellular and is brand-spanking new.

Its your memory, too low. Go to options/status and write down your "file free" then pull out the battery for 30 seconds, put it back and check the file free again.

Post back the amount before and after the battery pull

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

It seems like your device memory is full. Click on Options (wrench icon), then Status, and then post here what is next to File Free.

LOL Az. Beat me to it.

Ahh, I'm beginning to see the light. Thank you both! Okay, Before, file free = 0 and after file free= 4387383 bytes. What the heck does that mean?

That is still very low, 1mb is roughly 1 million bytes. Do you have a memory card? Do you have any pics/songs/ringtones saved to your device memory? Also how many extra apps and themes do you have? Have you deleted the preloaded video, extra languages, and anything else you don't use? That will help.

Also download this app called soft reset here: http://www.geekandproud.net/blackber.../softreset.jad

You can use it to do a soft reset instead of pulling the battery. Use it about 2-3 times per week to help free up memory. Another thing that will help is clearing your browser cache often.

See if you can get the memory up over 10MB
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast