I bought a pearl months back to upgrade from my 7105t. Great upgrade. AFter i ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

ghostinator no está en línea Stack level 1

having problem after problem with my pearl

Advertisement

I bought a pearl months back to upgrade from my 7105t. Great upgrade. AFter i while the trackball got dirty and i took it out to clean it. the menu button also stopped working. So i took the trackball out and cleaned it and everything went back to being good. Every week or so, either the menu button does not work at all, or when i roll the trackball around it acts as i'm pressing the menu button constantly. Drives me nuts. Then as of last night my phone shows it's connected to t-mobile but only through gsm, i took the sim card out and put it in my old black berry and i get the typical GPRS. What is going on with this blackberry? It's driving me nuts

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    do you have a skin or case on your bb? do you put it in your pocket a lot? dust and such get behind the trackball and keys making them not work properly. maybe try blowing the keyboard out with a can of compressed air?

also, try powering off the bb (with the RED end call key) and leaving off for a few minutes and powering back on. that allows the bb to update carrier information and hopefully tower info as well it works great on my curve. i do it about once a week. haven't had any issues with connectivity.

I've pulled the battery already. I just got done taking it apart and cleaning it the other day. I bought a new trackball asembly and chrome ring, hopefully that will fix some of my problems. I don't understand the menu button problem though. Without it working it defeats the purpose of having a blackberry if i can't get to my applications

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    not a battery pull, but a power down. its a little different and the bb reacts differently as well.

do you think that there is something, dust or sand, that is behind the menu key? there are videos about breaking the bb down and cleaning it on youtube maybe a good cleaning is in order.

remember, the better you take care of it the longer it will last

I've already cleaned it 5 times in the last month. I'm doing it again now

javijavi no está en línea Stack level 3
    It really shouldn't require this much cleaning, unless you work in construction or something. Since a simple button like your menu key is unlikely to fail as a result of dirt and grime, chances are you just happen to be suffering from a faulty component. I suppose you could see if parts like that are replaceable, or perhaps find a BB schematic and take the keypad apart and make sure nothing is interfering with the connection under there. Otherwise if the key is practically dead useless, you might have to start looking at a new BB in all honesty. There's just not that much you can do with these things if they start to break.

aflansburg no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2469F3D5
    At my office, we've sent several Pearls back with the issue you're having. Here's what you have to look forward to: You go to plug your phone in to charge, go to sleep, and wake up with a dead phone because your charge "receptacle" is messed up somehow.

Not to be a "Debbie Downer", but I would sent that guy back in for warranty replacement.