Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi All Im quite miffed as last night my phone stopped working. None of the ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

rade no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Have I got a Virus?!?!??

Advertisement

Hi All

Im quite miffed as last night my phone stopped working. None of the buttons work apart from the keyboard lock and the call button, but only sometimes.

The trackball moves up and down on the main BB theme menu (not where the icons are, but the main screen showing messages, claendar, call log and applications links), but only a maximum of 1 movement before the dial menu comes up and whatever I do it will only type Q, W or E over and over again.

Ive got no clue how this happened as I pulled my phone out to show someone a picture and it would let me access any menus.

I have not backed up my phone for a very long time and I dont want to lose my numbers (they are on the on the phone, not sim), perhaps I could plug it into my PC and sync to get the latest numbers?

More annoyingly, I had a couple of peoples number's who texted them to me when I was in a hurry that same night. My phone has received the texts, but I cant access them to get the numbers. As I can access any menu's, is there a way of doing this?

However, I would like to hear your opinions first of all before I do anything else. Have any of you encountered this issue before? What is resolution? More importantly than the phone however - I want to retrieve my numbers - and get the information from those texts!!

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Re: Have I got a Virus?!?!??

first thought is a batt pull
    phone on batt out 30 sec then back in
    let us know after that
    we'll walk ya through the correct steps to get it back up and going.
    a pc backup is reccommended
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Back up info on computer and run an app loader.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

I would attempt to connect the BB to the PC and back it up if possible. You can do what's called a selective backup. This backs up only specific information that you want to keep.
    1) Open Desktop Manager and choose Backup/Restore.
    2) Go to Backup>Advanced. It will start a transfer process.
    3) Next, on the right side of the screen, it will list "Device Databases." This is everything on your BB.
    4) Scroll down to and highlight "SMS Messages." Choose the arrow facing left. This moves SMS Messages to the "Desktop File Databases." The backup process will start and finish on its own.
    5) Then when you restore the BB, find that file and restore it.

Apologies, should have provided more info.

I've removed the battery and left it out for 1 hour earlier on, checked the sim card too. No change.

You suggest a pc backup, will I still keep the unread text messages? What is an app loader?

Many thanks for the quick reply.

Hi EricaJ1073

I will try this, and get back if I have any issues. Many thanks once again.

App Loader is the Application Loader that is a part of the Desktop Manager software included on your CD with your BB.

Quote Originally Posted by rade
    Hi EricaJ1073

I will try this, and get back if I have any issues. Many thanks once again.
    You can call me Erica.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 05-12-2007 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Automerged.

Okay, then, Erica

SO I've backed up my phone, messages etc, How do I reset the phone to factory defaults now then? I jst ran the restore as I thought this would solve the issues but still is the same as before.

Cheers

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by rade
    Okay, then, Erica

SO I've backed up my phone, messages etc, How do I reset the phone to factory defaults now then? I jst ran the restore as I thought this would solve the issues but still is the same as before.

Cheers
    Make sure you still have the backup file on your PC and if so continue to Application loader. Step through process on screen pretty self explanitory except for 2 things. If you get to the applications screen and only have a couple of options with check marks you need the handheld software. whn you get to the end instead of hitting finish hit advanced and go through that without using auto back up and restore ( since we already backed up info) select erase all application data. Takes 15-30 mins if done right and unless your phone explodes (literally) do not unplug until done.

Well, no luck.

I've tried your suggestions twice and after "Reconnecting to JVM", an error appears teling me that the "application could not connect to the phone to complete the process". On the phone itself, it resets and brings up the first set up installation, but none of the buttons work and the trackball itself is very dodgy and does whatever it wants to.

hmm...

update: okay, so although the phone is pretty unworkable, I managed to exit the first setup installation and see if the Q, W, E errors in the dial menu where still occuring, and they still are.

No matter what I press on the keypad, or wherever I move the trackball, it types the letters Q, W, and E on the phone. In exactly that order.

Has anyone else had this issue? Im thinking Im going to return this phone, as I had issues with the trackball not scrolling down properly sometimes for the last few weeks. It not good enough really, after only 4-5 months of use.

Again, you help has been much appreciated.

It's a hardware problem now. Take your Pearl back and get a replacement.

Great. I assume I can get a replacement from my operator, O2?

Is this common from Blackberry?

Oh, btw... is there any way of reading your SMS messages from the backup file created while they are stored on your PC?

Yes you should be able to. All BlackBerry devices are going to have problems. The Pearl is going to have issues for a while because it's only a year old and has more capabilities than past devices (MP3 player, camera, multimedia storage). I'm on my 2nd Pearl since January.

okay, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast