I know it's mostly my fault -- am new to a BB, so am spending ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

valb626 no está en línea Stack level 2

hating the vzw 8130 - pls post the apps that won't work here

Advertisement

I know it's mostly my fault -- am new to a BB, so am spending hours on reading the forums (mostly written in sanskrit), the completely unhelpful BB site itself, and any other resources I can find. I don't mind learning something new, am not a complete techno idiot, but am sure frustrated after 3 weeks with this phone and vzw.

I really wish I'd known what I was doing before I bought the 8130. My daughter got an 8100 at the same time, which apparently has 3rd party apps that actually WORK, but I can't talk her out of it because of the Suretype on my 8130.

Can't listen to my audible.com books. (Well, actually I can, but without the bookmarking function or the ability to move through the books with the trackball.)

Can't figure out how to stream radio (spent today on that one. nice to discover orb, so it wasn't a waste of time and it's great I can get to my PC files from my phone now anyway.)

Seems like everything I try generally takes me down an hours-long path, only to discover whatever app I'm trying either doesn't work on the 8130 or doesn't work on VZW.

Sorry, just venting here. I DO appreciate all the info here and have learned tons.

But it would sure be a timesave to have a separate 8130 VZW thread on everything that doesn't work on this phone with this service.

It's been posted elsewhere, but my biggest disappointment is no audibleair for this phone/service.

It's a pleasant surprise I can listen to my iTunes music, but disappointing I can't get to my napster music.

Disappointing about no XM radio I've been able to configure.

Anyone have others we VZW 8130 users shouldn't bother with?

Re: hating the vzw 8130 - pls post the apps that won't work here

Reply to self. Looks like this one doesn't work either: BLUEAPPLE.MOBI

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro

Sorry you are having a rough experience with the 8130, but you have to keep in mind that you are using the latest BB and running the latest OS (4.3) and that not every vendor has caught up yet. Soon 4.3 will be out for the 8100 and more vendors will be catching up with code and software. Patients at this point is best, we can't expect everyone to have all software ready when a new BB or OS comes out.

doughdaddy, I appreciate that insight greatly. So there is hope? Would you have an estimate on about how long it takes for vendors to catch up with a new OS?

If I'd know what I was doing, I wouldn't have purchased this phone as my first "training" BB. Maybe that's the lesson learned here for others who have sense enough to do some research on a purchase before just cavalierly buying one!

I have no idea when vendors will be releasing new or updated software. If I did, I would be in Vegas making more money than I do now.

As far as being the wrong BB to learn on, that is all your perception. I personally love my 8130 and would have made it my first choice had it been available when I got my first BB last year. It is easier to use than my 8703e was and a lot more features. It also has more features than the 8100 will have when 4.3 comes out soon, such as a video camera.

Again, I would just preach patients to you, it will come around soon enough and you will be a pro at the 8130 in no time. It just takes some time to get used to.

Am not succeeding in listening to music via the moto S9 headset via either the VZW mediaplayer or dollars 5 version for the 8130.

With help from dollars 5 tech support, I was able to download and install their mediaplayer for the 8130 by upgrading my OS to the Sprint 4.3.XX version and can now stream some radio.

Still learning here.

Xyxyll no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I agree with doughdaddy, but I also am a little upset with the 8130. I will elaborate more later when I am at a keyboard, but here are a few applications that do not work with the Verizon 8130.

NutSie
    Black and Whitelist
    ICall Manager
    BerryBlocker

The GPS is also disabled, which is a huge downer.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Quote Originally Posted by Xyxyll View Post
    The GPS is also disabled, which is a huge downer.
    That isn't the devices fault...

garypip no está en línea Stack level 3

To add:

Many custom themes don't display correctly in the message/sms screens. Colors, fonts and highlight bars shift and are sometimes difficult to read. I couldn't get trackball pacman to load either.

firegeek no está en línea Stack level 3

As for the S9....BB does not support stereo Bluetooth technology (A2DP). This IS true for car stereo as well. Someone please verify but this is what I have been told.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by firegeek View Post
    As for the S9....BB does not support stereo Bluetooth technology (A2DP). This IS true for car stereo as well. Someone please verify but this is what I have been told.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    firegeek, I was able to get my S9 to work in stereo for media (left ear only for calls), and the 8130 does support A2DP. I don't know about car stereo.

Thanks for the info. I had been told otherwise by VZW customer care. Even returned my s9!!!! Now I am frustrated!!!!~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by firegeek View Post
    Below is a partial list of the features of the 8130 as per VZW's own website. Notice the bluetooth section:

• 2.0 Megapixel Camera with Flash and Video Capture
    • Media Player with microSD memory support
    • Bluetooth® Wireless Technology including A2DP for Stereo sound
    • microSD™ memory expansion slot (up to 8 GB)
    • Ringtones: Polyphonic plus vibrate
    • SureType® QWERTY keyboard technology. Dedicated Send, End, Convenience, Power and Mute keys, trackball navigation and ESC key
    • Password protection and keyboard lock
    • SAR Information – 1.48 W/kg
    • Hearing Aid Compatibility = M3/T3

BBGurlie no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    What about yahoo messenger?

You can get yahoo messenger from the home page as loaded on the 8130. It US the mobile version though. Not sure how well it works.
    Thanks for the info on the S9 also, sorry for the confusion.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~