Prior to using the 8830 from Sprint, I was using a 7100i from Nexel. While ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6

Has Anyone Switched from 8830 to 8130?

Advertisement

Prior to using the 8830 from Sprint, I was using a 7100i from Nexel. While it was a step above the 7510 in some ways, I really had trouble with the sure type.

I really like the idea of the external Micro SC slot, and I know the 8130 is slimmer, but I'm wondering if anyone that was using the 8830 and then switched is either having trouble with SureType, or deeply regrets the move.

EZ Reregister simplify reregistering 3rd party software
    http://ezreregister.com

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB
    I like it much better; the 8830 is a beast; I never liked the 88xx series keyboards; Suretype is easy to get use to, and its nice having a camera for pix and video

greystealth no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319DD34b
    Quote Originally Posted by cwax View Post
    I like it much better; the 8830 is a beast; I never liked the 88xx series keyboards; Suretype is easy to get use to, and its nice having a camera for pix and video

I feel the same way. I actually had an 8130 and wasn't too sure...so I switch to the 8830, honestly it felt like a downgrade...so I went back to the 8130 and I LOVE it! To me, the full keyboard and the larger screen was not enough to please me. The 8130 is so much more compact, phone quality is better, its louder, it vibrates HARD so you feel it, the OS is more up to date giving you more features, browsing is better with the onscreen mouse arrow and of course being able to send and receive video/pictures is cool too when needed. Overall the 8130 just has so much more than the 8830. The sure type is great. All you have to do is learn how to use it well. I am to the point where I can type an email or message just as fast as I could with a full keyboard, if not faster. I highly recommend the 8130. Good luck.

The Juice no está en línea Stack level 3
    I have been debating on switching to the 8830.
    Hit me on my BlackBerry-Rass Kass

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    i switched to a 8130 and i feel its a downgrade now i see why theres a price diffrence quality not as good as the 8830 the screen is to small to look at for more then 5 min the keyboard is even worst dont even think about typing a long e-mail i hardly ever use my yahoo or BB msgr which i loved at one point because the keytboard is so small and cramped funny thing is i love suretype since i own a 7100i and had a 7130e

cfrench no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I have a 8830 for personal and an 8130 for work. If I had to get rid of one, it would be the 8130. I like the 8130 in general and for the camera but I really like my 8830 far as over all size of the device, screen and the full qwerty keyboard. For my next work phone, I will make sure that it is a curve or the next full qwerty bb with camera (what ever that may be)!

umanben no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    317f3afd
    i came from an 8703e and i'm only 1 out of two people in my office who use the pearl rather than the 8830. i'm biased now because i've loved having a camera and i'm one of those people who seem to type faster on suretype. but with all that said, i know of two people who made the switch and neither one has looked back. to me the 8703e had a better keyboard b/c of the spacing and i never really could get my fingers to stop double pressing keys on the 8830.

dvst8ion no está en línea Stack level 3
    I have had both and I like the 8130 more!!! Its more of a normal phone with all the features that my 8830 had to offer. I wouldn't switch back now for anything!!
    Once you go Black(berry) you'll never go back!!!

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    I have a 8830 for personal and an 8130 for work. If I had to get rid of one, it would be the 8130. I like the 8130 in general and for the camera but I really like my 8830 far as over all size of the device, screen and the full qwerty keyboard. For my next work phone, I will make sure that it is a curve or the next full qwerty bb with camera (what ever that may be)!
    The curve should be pretty sweet; I think it has the best keyboard, plus its still small enough to throw in your pocket

saukrateaz no está en línea Stack level 3
    I have pondering the switch. Opinions seem to be split fairly even on the subject. I think I'm going to just wait a couple monthes for the curve.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

cfrench no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Sounds good!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

mrmoto no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32CA582C
    I am actually lucky enough to carry both devices. I use the 8830 is provide by work and is on a BES server, the 8130 is my personal line running on BIZ. I have found my self using the 8130 a lot more. typing is amazing once you get used to it. I said never would i have that type of a keyboard when i first played with the 7130. never the less it almost annoys me when i dont get the auto type feature of sure type on my 8830. there very evenly matched phones, i have found i get better reception and battery life with the 8130.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    ~via BB 8100 (wap.pinstack.com)~ Not on any of the carriers here but can offer some advice about making the switch from full keyboard to SureType.

That was one of the best decisions I made for personal use (although now my thumbs are paying the price for it). Transitioning from a 7730 (aka brick) to the 7100 series was flawless once I got used to the keyboard on my first 7100t. I absolutely LOVED the contoured keys on the 7105t.

However, going from the 7105t to the 8100 took getting used to. In fact, I almost returned my first Pearl for a SideKick 3, which I actually ended up buying later for a backup phone (I love that phone also). My thumbs hurt so bad it wasn't even funny. Took a week just to get past the cramping. Now I can text, email, etc just as fast as on the 7100 series.

Not everyone will have this issue but I thought it would have been easier since I used SureType for 2 years before. I still have to take breaks from typing to get some rest for my thumbs.

That's my reasoning for looking for a bigger keyboard for my next phone. May pick up an 88xx, 9xxx or the LX for my next phone. Not sure as I have to weigh my options come January.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    I have all three current models, 81xx,83xx,88xx. My first BB was a 7130c which is the one I learned SureType on. That was quite an experience & I grew to truly favor the SureType system. To this day I still find it very fast, accurate & easy to use.

That said, the greatest shortcoming from my perspective is the small somewhat vague keyboard on the 81xx. However in fairness I have large hands. Also coming from the 7130c which I still regard as having one of the best BB keyboards ever.

Regarding the 88xx, for me, it has the same problem as the 8700 did. The keys are sculptured, instead of being flat on top. That in combination with the fact that they are side by side with no gap between them makes typing less than easy & fast.

Thus we are now left with the 83xx Curve. This BB is my all time favorite of all time. Especially since for me, the most important areas are the keyboard, pointing method, & display size. The keyboard is fantastic. It confirms my theory that key shape & proper spacing is more important than size. The Curve keys, while smaller than the 87xx & 88xx, are flat topped, conventional in shape, & spaced ideally. It's the most comfortable & fastest of any keyboard I've used on any Smart Phone, not just blackberry.

The overall size & shape of the Curve is ideal, at least for me. I usually replace my main smartphone about three times per year just to enjoy a new model. However this new 8310 Curve I'm currently using is so ideal, so fast, reliable & stable that I no longer crave the absolute latest. This is not to say that I will not continue to purchase the latest BB models as they are released. As it's fun to try the different BB's.

(wap.pinstack.com)~