So I've been having a few issues with the pearl, and have decided that a ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

zillaz no está en línea Stack level 1

Hard reset questions...

Advertisement

So I've been having a few issues with the pearl, and have decided that a hard reset is simply the easiest and quickest way to rule out any other possibilities to solve my problem. I've backed up all my data, the emails, pins, contacts, pictures, ETC that I want to keep... But my question is this, how do I record the information that I entered when I first activated my phone 7 months ago? Will I need to record it at all? I ask because the prompt for hard reset shows 'messaging service and other services' will be turned off. I simply want to wipe off all 3rd party applications and start the OS again from scratch. Help please! Also thanks in advance for the replies

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    Zillaz, welcome to pinstack

What information are you talking about that you would want to record? There are 2 different "wipes" and the one you're wanting to do is literally removing the OS completely. There is a security wipe that will basically remove all personal information and leave 3rd parties intact.

The process is easy, but a bit scary for first timers.
    Last edited by reddog187; 09-30-2008 at 04:39 AM.

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Don't worry. You don't need to enter anything after you reinstall the OS.

Once it is reinstalled, goto your BIS webpage and resend your service books. All will be good with the world after they are snt.

Then go about the business of reinstalling your apps etc.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog187 View Post
    Zillaz, welcome to pinstack

What information are you talking about that you would want to record? There are 2 different "wipes" and the one you're wanting to do is literally removing the OS completely. There is a security wipe that will basically remove all personal information and leave 3rd parties intact.

The process is easy, but a bit scary for first timers.
    First, Thanks I've lurked a while, but never had an issue I required help with that I couldn't find with the search feature until now.
    Second, when I first activated the phone, I remember having to enter a key sequence to open a hidden menu, where I plugged in my phone number, my serial number, and some other information (IIRC). I didn't know if that was wiped with the reset.

I don't think that I need the security wipe as I'll still be the owner and user of the blackberry, I just need it to have a fresh start because all of the tech support I've read or talked to has indicated that's the best starting place. Essentially I want it to remain active, but be as it was when I first took it out of the box with a fresh install on it, and hopefully it will have resolved the annoying software issue that I'm having.

Sirthinks: I dont have a BIS, or if I do I'm unaware of how to access it. I have the unlimited data package through sprint, but I don't believe they have an accessible BIS like ATT(?) does. Since my cellphone is my only true means of communication in college this semester, my fear would be requiring to call sprint and have them re-activate or resend the packers a hard reset would erease, since I'd either have to bum a phone and use up someones minutes or find a payphone and spend way too much money on hold to do it.

It was late when I posted it last night, let me back up and shine some light on the original problem that I'm having.
    My phone as of two days ago has been doing one of two things, (it does them both, but never at the same time) either
    1: It gets stuck in an infinite radio connection constantly downloading information (as depicted by the down arrow flashing endlessly) with nothing being downloaded (that I can tell or that shows up in the alt lg lg log anyway). I tried to remedy this by removing all cookies, 3rd party applications that could be updating, bookmarks, soft reset (program), battery pull, and disabling radio connections for 5 minutes, then re-enabling, to no avail. The problem is it not only significantly slows down my phone, it destroys my battery life. In my hour and fifty minute (8am) class my battery went from 95% to 15% in a single class, which it has never done before. My phone was in standby in my pocket and I didn't look at it during class or I would have noticed something was off. It's been doing it since then for some unknown reason.

The other thing it does...

2: If it's not stuck in the endless download, it's been throwing the loading (another word might be status) icon that shows in the middle of the screen every 15 seconds, when I dont touch the phone, be it in standby or lock. I'm not sure of the proper term for the process its running, but its the equivelant of the hourglass cursor change in windows - when you open a large file and it pauses as it loads. Nothing is loading (at least to my knowledge or that I can find). I've tried all of the same steps mentioned above for the first problem here as well, and no new programs flash or open in the switch applications menu. I have memory cleaning enabled and have since I bought the phone, so I doub't its truly maxing out and pausing as it loads something, but the phone thinks it is for some reason.

These problems are entirely out of the blue. I haven't added any new applications recently (in the past month and a half), I hardly have used browser since I have free wi-fi over the entire campus and I lug my backpack around, and my texting usage has gone up a small bit but nothing astronomical in proportion. (not that it could matter anyway, but just trying to cover all the bases )
    I'm baffled as to what it could be, and I've found no posts of users encountering simillar issues. It's still under manufacturers warrenty if I absolutely have to have it replaced, but for sprint to even look at it the first thing they'll tell me is to try a hard reset to clear any 'software glitches'.

Other relevant information:
    Sprint Blackberry pearl 8130 = phone
    Latest sprint released OS (4.3.0.71)
    Duration of phones life (thus far) ~7 months
    Clean ESN as of purchase, I am only owner and user of the phone.
    Phone purchased new in sealed box from 3rd party supplier (ebay) not from sprint directly.

Thats as much as I know, and it's quite a bit to read through! But thanks for any and all help you can provide! It's greatly appreciated!

Update

I was able to hard reset it, and figure out how to resend the service books (once i remembered my username *doh*) all thanks to the wonderful search feature and a bit of comprehensive reading ability.

Thanks for the replies, and the help! It seems to have solved the problem, and my battery is back to its old lifespan of two days, rather than 3 - 4 hours. Once again, thanks